News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 11, 2023, 06:53:15 PMI really hate that Dilophosaurus mold.

Ikr, I don't understand why they refuse to rerelease the best mainline Dilophosaurus mold. i.e. the water spitting one.

Gwangi

Quote from: Flaffy on February 11, 2023, 07:21:30 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 11, 2023, 06:53:15 PMI really hate that Dilophosaurus mold.

Ikr, I don't understand why they refuse to rerelease the best mainline Dilophosaurus mold. i.e. the water spitting one.

I agree. That one was fantastic. I didn't get it because of the trippy paintjob but I kind of regret passing it up. I probably wouldn't get another Dilo though, since I have the HC one now.

EmperorDinobot

I think we're all in agreement here. The purple spitting one is the best one.

DinoToyForum

Does the Elasmosaurus have a scheduled release date?

Gwangi

I must admit, I'm not too thrilled with that Gigantspinosaurus. The hindlimbs look huge and the tail is so short. I know proportion issues are common with Mattel but they're hard to look past here. I think the Chialingosaurus might be better, though not by much.

DinoFan2010

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 12, 2023, 11:48:41 AMDoes the Elasmosaurus have a scheduled release date?
I assume it will be around June as a wave 2 figure.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

SpartanSquat

I heard this week we will have beyond the gates!

EmperorDinobot

I feel like I should be happier. It's just I'm kinda tired of big T.rexes and their repaints/remolds/retools. Maybe it will look better in person.

suspsy

I like the colour scheme, but that's about it. It otherwise looks exactly like most of the previous T. rexes; would it have killed Mattel to beef up the torso a little bit? The swallowing gimmick only works with miniatures, so not a whole lot of fun in that. The Kenner Bull T. rex was able to swallow an entire Velociraptor or Pachycephalosaurus by contrast. And that opening door on the thigh is even dumber than the slide up tabs. Kids are totally going to break it. Mine certainly would.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

I am personally LOVING the tributes to Kenner as of late, first the demon Carnotaurus, and now the highly requested red Tyrannosaurus.
An oversized house cat.

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on February 13, 2023, 01:27:35 PMI like the colour scheme, but that's about it. It otherwise looks exactly like most of the previous T. rexes; would it have killed Mattel to beef up the torso a little bit? The swallowing gimmick only works with miniatures, so not a whole lot of fun in that. The Kenner Bull T. rex was able to swallow an entire Velociraptor or Pachycephalosaurus by contrast. And that opening door on the thigh is even dumber than the slide up tabs. Kids are totally going to break it. Mine certainly would.

I would kill to see a Hammond Collection T-Rex done in that color. But not sure if Mattel wants to douple dip in that line (beyond the inevitable raptors).

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Shane on February 13, 2023, 01:37:26 PMI would kill to see a Hammond Collection T-Rex done in that color. But not sure if Mattel wants to douple dip in that line (beyond the inevitable raptors).
There is another HC t-rex listed for this year. But I dont know if its a repack or retool of 2022 ones.

I think the red rex is the Beyond the Gates reveal.

Shane

Quote from: RolandEden on February 13, 2023, 01:56:33 PMThere is another HC t-rex listed for this year. But I dont know if its a repack or retool of 2022 ones.

I think the red rex is the Beyond the Gates reveal.

I guess technically they've already double-dipped with the SDCC Hammond Rex with Gennaro that was a slightly different color.

So anything is possible!

Carnoking

At this point I could take it or leave it but that doesn't mean it's not a fun offering.

I suppose if I were to sell off the plethora of other rexes they've done while only keeping the HC offering, then I'd be happy to have this as my one mainline rex figure.

CityRaptor

A chance at a Red Rex that is neither beat up, hideously expensive or both? That is pretty sweet.

It should be noted that I only own one mainline T.rex ( Stomp 'N Escape ) and no Hammond one, so it wouldn't be just another in a large collection of Mattel Rexes.

Hehe, people can't even complain about the lack of paint on the hand claws, since that is exactly how the Kenner Red Rex was!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

It's cool. The fact that Mattel even acknowledges the Kenner line is cool. But, seeing as how I already have the Kenner Red Rex, and a few of the Mattel ones, I don't feel a pressing need to get this one. I agree with Carnoking, if I didn't have any other mainline Mattel rexes I would probably pick up this one.

As for the upcoming HC rex. I'm personally hoping for the bull. Not a big fan of The Lost World but I always liked the look of that rex. A simple re-paint (which is likely what we're getting) probably won't do it for me. I would want to see improvements elsewhere. Different eyes, smaller feet, maybe replace the ratcheting jaw.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm to agree and just say yeah I feel like I should be more impressed but I just sort of burned out on these Rexes. I expected a  new sculpt at least, I don't know why I did..but I did.  I might feel different in store especially if it comes in retro Kenner packaging. Might be one to get and leave in the box.  At this point I think I'd just like a novel based line from them which is basically what Kenner was working with.

Lynx

Isn't this supposed to be an anniversary figure? Surely it will come with something special, like a play mechanism, packaging, poster, I dunno
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Would it be possible for Mattel to ever make an Ultimasaurus, considering Kenner never actually released it? Or would they get a lawsuit for that?
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

Sculpt is basically a shrunk down SC T. rex hence the thin torso, but honestly other then that and the typical huge feet, I am so glad to see this. Fans have been asking for both a rubbery T. rex and one with the Kenner JP red coloration for years now. Sure it is another T. rex but I'm making an exception for this one. It's nice to get this and the large Triceratops this year. If only they brought back the spitting Dilophosaurus sculpt in a classic Kenner deco.

Edit: I'll add this to the op after I get on my laptop.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: