News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoptartDoodle

Immediate purchase for A, I also enjoy B though there should a less visually striking variant like the Apatosaurus had.

thomasw100

My suggestion to Haolonggood would be as follows: Produce one simple and conservative paint scheme and one more flashy one. Produce a smaller than usual batch of painted figures first, even if this means that not all orders can be fulfilled in the first few weeks. If production of the unpainted figure in the factory needs to be done in one large batch due to cost reasons, stock a decent quantity of unpainted figures. Then monitor very carefully what the sales figures for the two different paint schemes will be in the first 2 to 4 weeks after initial release. Haolonggood can collect such information through their own web shop and few of the larger resellers like Lana Time Shop etc. Based on these sales figures, produce more of each respective paint scheme. This large model is a risky business for Haolonggood and they need to make sure that the market picks this up really well. People will not buy this if they are not absolutely convinced that they want this figure. This is very different for the smaller and much cheaper models. This figure is going to be a serious investment for many collectors.

And I am not so convinced that social media are the best option for deciding on a color scheme. From there you will not get a representative feedback, which in the end may lead to making the wrong decision. A forum like this one is certainly a good place to collect feedback on the anatomical and paleontological aspects of an initial design, because there are many people around that have excellent knowledge of the different dinosaur groups and can point to inaccuracies and controversial features that could then be modified prior to production of a model. But the paint scheme is a different story. There is no scientific evidence to support one color scheme over another one (except in very few cases like the Borealopelta) and then this becomes just a matter of individual taste in the same way as some people like this color and others another one.

Faelrin

avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum Don't be sorry, I thought that was funny. Sometimes memes like those can be a fun visual way to get across ones thoughts, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

Looking at them more carefully, though it's not the flashiest variant, B seems more compatible with the PNSO specimens paint job.

Pinbacker

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 03, 2023, 07:10:28 PMMy suggestion to Haolonggood would be as follows: Produce one simple and conservative paint scheme and one more flashy one. Produce a smaller than usual batch of painted figures first, even if this means that not all orders can be fulfilled in the first few weeks. If production of the unpainted figure in the factory needs to be done in one large batch due to cost reasons, stock a decent quantity of unpainted figures. Then monitor very carefully what the sales figures for the two different paint schemes will be in the first 2 to 4 weeks after initial release. Haolonggood can collect such information through their own web shop and few of the larger resellers like Lana Time Shop etc. Based on these sales figures, produce more of each respective paint scheme. This large model is a risky business for Haolonggood and they need to make sure that the market picks this up really well. People will not buy this if they are not absolutely convinced that they want this figure. This is very different for the smaller and much cheaper models. This figure is going to be a serious investment for many collectors.

And I am not so convinced that social media are the best option for deciding on a color scheme. From there you will not get a representative feedback, which in the end may lead to making the wrong decision. A forum like this one is certainly a good place to collect feedback on the anatomical and paleontological aspects of an initial design, because there are many people around that have excellent knowledge of the different dinosaur groups and can point to inaccuracies and controversial features that could then be modified prior to production of a model. But the paint scheme is a different story. There is no scientific evidence to support one color scheme over another one (except in very few cases like the Borealopelta) and then this becomes just a matter of individual taste in the same way as some people like this color and others another one.

I had assumed that the intial pictures of the gray Haolonggood Alamosaurus were of the conservative coloration variant. And I had assumed that the poll on FB was simply to choose the more colorful variant. Did Haolonggood state something different, or are people just jumping to conclusions?

Eatmycar

A is an absolute stunner, and I strongly encourage HLG to go big and bold. There are enough companies providing bland dinosaur figures - do we REALLY need more brown dinosaurs? Good heavens.

The more conservative schemes may blend better with people's ideas of what sauropods looked like in the flesh, but let's not forget that we have nothing on this planet that is comparable to a sauropod. Our largest megafauna are mammals, not birds nor reptiles, so it isn't a fair comparison to make.

Be bold, please.

Wally-217

While I'm very partial to B, the purple hues HLG uses are a little too strong for my liking. The blue A is magnificent though. While a little dark, it seems to be within the range of possibility for structural colour (e.g. cassowaries). Feels pretty reasonably for a large bull. Though, I wonder with Alamosaurus s. being the only sauropod species in North America at the time, if that might reduce the need for such flamboyant colouring. Either way, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed. And my shelf is in need of more colour! C feels quite realistic but camo, intuitively, really obscures the figure itself. So I have a slightly meta reason for not choosing it. D certainly feels like the weakest though.

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 03, 2023, 06:06:51 PMQuestion: Is anyone aware of a living animal that has both a striping and a web shaped skin or coat pattern at the same time? Giraffes have web patterns, many other herbivore mammals have horizontal or vertical striping patterns, but both on the same animal? No example comes to mind at first thought.

I know this isn't quite what you were thinking of but Okapis and Quaggas have very localized stripes. Many birds have something resembling stripes combined with other patterns (budgies spring to mind) but I think the Gila Monster is probably the closest I can think of, though again, the pattern is not quite as uniform in structure. Can't really think of anything in general that has a pattern as geometric as a giraffe though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very hard to choose, I'd say A and then B are my top ones.  C is a bit too similar to the Apatosaurus for me, D is probably my least favorite with the horizontal striping.

vampiredesign

Regarding the color scheme, there will be a more elegant color and a more vibrant one, but the price will not change. I will collect information today and organize and optimize it on physical images to see the effect. After the adjustments are made, we will share them with everyone. Thank you for your participation and support. The sharing of this paint scheme is also an attempt。

Eatmycar

Well, regardless of which y'all choose, I've got to say that I genuinely appreciate the effort to listen to fans and feedback.

Looking forward to the final designs!

FerretGoose

woah, I love it! Earlier today I was looking for a modern Euoplocephalus model, but I guess i'll wait for that one  :))

TlatolophusJuanorum

AngeloAle91

Quote from: vampiredesign on December 04, 2023, 02:57:01 AMNext year's product model is also welcome for discussion and discussion.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0akLCmr-FR/
https://twitter.com/zlx545721087/status/1731506019359191490/photo/1
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=282505868077388&set=gm.2611430635689107&idorvanity=1340139939484856

The model looks great. But this question needs to be asked, does it really represent a Euoplocephalus or is it based on Scolosaurus fossils?

SidB

Quote from: AngeloAle91 on December 04, 2023, 04:22:58 AM
Quote from: vampiredesign on December 04, 2023, 02:57:01 AMNext year's product model is also welcome for discussion and discussion.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0akLCmr-FR/
https://twitter.com/zlx545721087/status/1731506019359191490/photo/1
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=282505868077388&set=gm.2611430635689107&idorvanity=1340139939484856

The model looks great. But this question needs to be asked, does it really represent a Euoplocephalus or is it based on Scolosaurus fossils?
Typically, I believe that the existing sculpts, like the Battat Euplocephalus and Papo's one (it's so-called Ankylosaurus), are or were necessarily chimeras, with missing Euplocephalus elements filled in by Scolosaurus ones. Does anyone know if we've attained to a more complete picture of Euplocehalus as Euplocephalus alone?

thomasw100

Quote from: Eatmycar on December 03, 2023, 10:59:08 PMA is an absolute stunner, and I strongly encourage HLG to go big and bold. There are enough companies providing bland dinosaur figures - do we REALLY need more brown dinosaurs? Good heavens.

The more conservative schemes may blend better with people's ideas of what sauropods looked like in the flesh, but let's not forget that we have nothing on this planet that is comparable to a sauropod. Our largest megafauna are mammals, not birds nor reptiles, so it isn't a fair comparison to make.

Be bold, please.

I am sorry but you push your personal taste here as if this were the only reasonable possibility. You may feel strongly that we need no more brown or gray dinosaurs, but others like myself feel differently. Yes we do not know what colors dinosaurs had but this makes flashy colors or more brown or gray colors equally plausible. Yes we know large mammals which have distinct and vivid colors but we also know large mammals like elephants, rhinos or hippos which are just gray. And we know mammals with gray or brown body color but with a distinct accent like a crest or similar. So the arguments that you use to support your view are a straw man. Because we really do not know. Actually in the one case that we know, the Borealopelta, the colors are more red-brown earth tones. But then in all fairness one cannot compare an ankylosaur with a large sauropod because they had a very different lifestyle and were at very different risk from predation.

In my messages I have expressed understanding and appreciation of the fact that different people have different taste and like different things and that it would be best if Haolonggood caters to these different groups of people. This means I try to accommodate the preference of people like you and then of course of myself as well. Ultimately Haolonggood needs to be successful with this model. But if they would only go for a super flashy paint scheme and this results in poor sales figures, we all will have lost in the end. And the large market in China and the preference of people in China will play a major role in this. We should not forget this.

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on December 04, 2023, 04:44:03 AMTypically, I believe that the existing sculpts, like the Battat Euplocephalus and Papo's one (it's so-called Ankylosaurus), are or were necessarily chimeras, with missing Euplocephalus elements filled in by Scolosaurus ones. Does anyone know if we've attained to a more complete picture of Euplocehalus as Euplocephalus alone?

For the sake of comparison, I include here the skeletal reconstruction by Scott Hartman. I think this would be a good starting point for analyzing the model.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 04, 2023, 06:01:16 AM
Quote from: Eatmycar on December 03, 2023, 10:59:08 PMA is an absolute stunner, and I strongly encourage HLG to go big and bold. There are enough companies providing bland dinosaur figures - do we REALLY need more brown dinosaurs? Good heavens.

Be bold, please.

I am sorry but you push your personal taste here as if this were the only reasonable possibility. You may feel strongly that we need no more brown or gray dinosaurs, but others like myself feel differently. Yes we do not know what colors dinosaurs had but this makes flashy colors or more brown or gray colors equally plausible. Yes we know large mammals which have distinct and vivid colors but we also know large mammals like elephants, rhinos or hippos which are just gray. And we know mammals with gray or brown body color but with a distinct accent like a crest or similar. So the arguments that you use to support your view are a straw man. Because we really do not know. Actually in the one case that we know, the Borealopelta, the colors are more red-brown earth tones. But then in all fairness one cannot compare an ankylosaur with a large sauropod because they had a very different lifestyle and were at very different risk from predation.

In my messages I have expressed understanding and appreciation of the fact that different people have different taste and like different things and that it would be best if Haolonggood caters to these different groups of people. This means I try to accommodate the preference of people like you and then of course of myself as well. Ultimately Haolonggood needs to be successful with this model. But if they would only go for a super flashy paint scheme and this results in poor sales figures, we all will have lost in the end. And the large market in China and the preference of people in China will play a major role in this. We should not forget this.

They are offering an opinion from what  I can tell, a personal one by saying " I strongly encourage HLG.." which these opinions were asked for.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: