News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoFan2010

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 12:43:12 PMso just for one which of the two colors u like more, im debating black one mostly.
I think both the yellow and black variants are nice, but I prefer the Yellow version.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Medzo

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 12:40:37 PMif u have pnso quanzhosaurus or pachyrhinosaurus, sinoceratops it scales with those otherwise i get it

According to DinosDragons the pachy is more like 1:40, which I don't like but it can be easier to taken as a juvenile animal. But something being 1:25 is just too much to be put together with 1:35 models.

vampiredesign

Pentaceratops Our data here is restored within <8 meters,The size from nose to tail is 22cm. (+Sharp angle 24cm)。

SidB

Quote from: vampiredesign on April 25, 2023, 02:08:33 PMPentaceratops Our data here is restored within <8 meters,The size from nose to tail is 22cm. (+Sharp angle 24cm)。
That would bring the scale for the Pentaceratops to 1/27 and the Titanoceratops to 1/31. Keep in mind that the latter is sometimes considered simply to be a very large Pentaceratops.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: SidB on April 25, 2023, 02:23:49 PM
Quote from: vampiredesign on April 25, 2023, 02:08:33 PMPentaceratops Our data here is restored within <8 meters,The size from nose to tail is 22cm. (+Sharp angle 24cm)。
That would bring the scale for the Pentaceratops to 1/27 and the Titanoceratops to 1/31. Keep in mind that the latter is sometimes considered simply to be a very large Pentaceratops.

Pentaceratops is estimated 6-8 m based on the reconstruction, with the mentioned sharp angle that seems ok within 1:31 on the 8 m - 22cm (AMNH 6325 is estimated at 7-8m) , with a bit of fantasy and individual animal variety even 1:33-35 not impossible. ( animals can be up to 50 percent bigger than others of their species)

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on April 25, 2023, 01:14:21 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 12:40:37 PMif u have pnso quanzhosaurus or pachyrhinosaurus, sinoceratops it scales with those otherwise i get it

According to DinosDragons the pachy is more like 1:40, which I don't like but it can be easier to taken as a juvenile animal. But something being 1:25 is just too much to be put together with 1:35 models.

it depends on the specific pachyrhinosaurus , theire reconstructed again between 5.5 and up to 7.5-8 meters. again both apply funny enough from 1:26- 1:40 is possible XD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachyrhinosaurus

Wallnut

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 03:00:34 PM
Quote from: Medzo on April 25, 2023, 01:14:21 PM

it depends on the specific pachyrhinosaurus , theire reconstructed again between 5.5 and up to 7.5-8 meters. again both apply funny enough from 1:26- 1:40 is possible XD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachyrhinosaurus

7.5-8 meter estimates are for the drumheller specimen, the largest specimen of P. canadensis.The PNSO model is based on P. lakustai which was about 5 meters long so that makes the PNSO around 1:25 1:30 for P.lakustai.

Sim

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 09:48:38 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on April 25, 2023, 12:01:59 AMThankfully I'm not too fussed on scale. But it would've been nice to have it in 1/35.

The glaring issue is the crocodilian scutes on it's back. There's no evidence of this in any ceratopsian to my knowledge. Not sure why the sculptor felt the need to add this feature. I'm not sure about the shape of the squamosal either, it looks too rectangular, when fossil evidence shows that it sort of curves "inward" as it gets closer to the quadrates. The median embayment is probably too shallow as well.

it truly is weird and even within reasonable assumption ( well never know exact soft tissues except for maybe some like psittacosaurus, archeopterix. stuff like the turkey like fleshpads or other soft tissue display wont ever properly fossilise so those are speculative. but pentaceratops has skin impressions so its harder. prob added for visual interrest like pnsos leguan spikes on allosaurus, torvosaurus etc

Are there skin impressions from Pentaceratops?  As far as I know the only ceratopsids with skin impressions are Chasmosaurus, Centrosaurus, Nasutoceratops and Triceratops.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Sim on April 25, 2023, 03:57:41 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 09:48:38 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on April 25, 2023, 12:01:59 AMThankfully I'm not too fussed on scale. But it would've been nice to have it in 1/35.

The glaring issue is the crocodilian scutes on it's back. There's no evidence of this in any ceratopsian to my knowledge. Not sure why the sculptor felt the need to add this feature. I'm not sure about the shape of the squamosal either, it looks too rectangular, when fossil evidence shows that it sort of curves "inward" as it gets closer to the quadrates. The median embayment is probably too shallow as well.

it truly is weird and even within reasonable assumption ( well never know exact soft tissues except for maybe some like psittacosaurus, archeopterix. stuff like the turkey like fleshpads or other soft tissue display wont ever properly fossilise so those are speculative. but pentaceratops has skin impressions so its harder. prob added for visual interrest like pnsos leguan spikes on allosaurus, torvosaurus etc

Are there skin impressions from Pentaceratops?  As far as I know the only ceratopsids with skin impressions are Chasmosaurus, Centrosaurus, Nasutoceratops and Triceratops.

no my bad chasmosaurus is who i meant but theire close in relation anyway, i write at work, rarely much time to check

Bread

Shame about the crocodile-like scutes. Although a minor detail that I find still succeeds to beat the rest of the competitors.

Though, I still find BOTM to be superior.

Gwangi

The scutes don't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I kind of like them. They remind me of the old Invicta Triceratops.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Bread on April 25, 2023, 04:31:51 PMShame about the crocodile-like scutes. Although a minor detail that I find still succeeds to beat the rest of the competitors.

Botm is also on a way diff level than these figures , they cost 100+ , extremely colorful/ deeply painted, are articulated , clearly segmented ,more action figure like ( which is why i personally cant appreciate them much)
theire also basicly run on fanfair only so jeah they better always be better than these or theire sorta dead on arrival.

its like comparing figma to an anime figure

Thialfi

Quote from: Gwangi on April 25, 2023, 04:34:39 PMThe scutes don't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I kind of like them. They remind me of the old Invicta Triceratops.
Same, I dig this kind of creative liberty that doesn't detract from the overal accuracy of the figure. For me it's on the same level of some wild paint work (which I also like, e.g. the recent Safari Albertosaurus).

Eatmycar

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 04:56:58 PM
Quote from: Bread on April 25, 2023, 04:31:51 PMShame about the crocodile-like scutes. Although a minor detail that I find still succeeds to beat the rest of the competitors.

Botm is also on a way diff level than these figures , they cost 100+ , extremely colorful/ deeply painted, are articulated , clearly segmented ,more action figure like ( which is why i personally cant appreciate them much)
theire also basicly run on fanfair only so jeah they better always be better than these or theire sorta dead on arrival.

its like comparing figma to an anime figure

Eh, price point wise, but when it comes to collecting space I see and agree with their point. If I had the money to invest in every dinosaur figure I wanted... I'd have less space. I agree though, BoTM is superior in all aspects, but man if I went 1:35, this Halonggood stuff is great. Gorgeous colors and sculpts.

Sim

I don't agree that BOTM is superior in every way.  The articulation means an inferior look due to it.  Whether the colouration is better is subjective, the BOTM's is not as complex as those of the Haolonggood figures if it matters.  I don't know how the two figures compare size-wise but being bigger isn't necessarily a good thing, it can make something heavier than one would like and it takes up more space.  As for speculative additions, I don't like the feature scales on the Haolonggood's back, but I dislike the feature scales on the BOTM's snout even more.  So speculative features are subjective too.

Samrukia

Pentaceratops already available on Aliexpress in "My Online Toy Store" and "Jurassic Zoo Store"

Bread

avatar_Sim @Sim I should have explained my preference for BOTM's rather than saying "superior product" My apologies.

Personally, I find the coloration to be more appealing in the BOTM model. Really due to the color combo and somewhat pattern it has, plus articulation in models has really been a desire for me lately. Some people like it or dislike it.

Although I still prefer BOTM's, due to scale and limited space, Haolonggood's will be my choice to come park itself on my shelf.

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 04:56:58 PMtheire also basicly run on fanfair only so jeah they better always be better than these or theire sorta dead on arrival.
Although, off topic, I feel as though this is unfair to say... Yes his projects are backed through kickstarters, but he also produced products without the need of "fanfair" or kickstarters.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on April 25, 2023, 04:34:39 PMThe scutes don't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I kind of like them. They remind me of the old Invicta Triceratops.
I was thinking the same myself!

Sim

avatar_Bread @Bread, it's okay, I was responding to Eatmycar's comment that the BOTM "is superior in all aspects".  It's funny, you like the BOTM's colouration, I dislike it.  Although it's nice there's such choices for Pentaceratops figures.

Pliosaurking

I personally perfer static models, although the Botm Pentaceratops is a fantastic figure. But other than that figure there is not many good Pentaceratops figures out there (besides the Papo one) so it's nice to get a new one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: