News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Pliosaurking on April 26, 2023, 03:21:28 AMI personally perfer static models, although the Botm Pentaceratops is a fantastic figure. But other than that figure there is not many good Pentaceratops figures out there (besides the Papo one) so it's nice to get a new one.

one pro i can also give BOTM is theire the only one to make accurate Dromeausaurs that are gorgeos( safari and collecta are ok but theire still toys , good toys but toys with those issues.) but jeah pnso atleast goes on sale sometimes, botm is 55-120 each.

Paleo Flo

I'm a little late at the Pentaceratops-party. It's not really my cup of tea.
But HAOLONGGOOD has a lot of potential. Very promising.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Quiversaurus

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 02:53:44 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 25, 2023, 02:23:49 PM
Quote from: vampiredesign on April 25, 2023, 02:08:33 PMPentaceratops Our data here is restored within <8 meters,The size from nose to tail is 22cm. (+Sharp angle 24cm)。
That would bring the scale for the Pentaceratops to 1/27 and the Titanoceratops to 1/31. Keep in mind that the latter is sometimes considered simply to be a very large Pentaceratops.

Pentaceratops is estimated 6-8 m based on the reconstruction, with the mentioned sharp angle that seems ok within 1:31 on the 8 m - 22cm (AMNH 6325 is estimated at 7-8m) , with a bit of fantasy and individual animal variety even 1:33-35 not impossible. ( animals can be up to 50 percent bigger than others of their species)

This is interesting, I took 6m - 24cm at first but 8m - 22cm is a lot closer to 1:35 scale than previously thought (though I think I would take 7.5m - 24cm to be on the "safer" side, giving 1:31 scale). Still on the larger side but still possible I think. I was comparing this to the Papo version and honestly I think this version is superior, especially pose-wise and colour/pattern-wise.

I must agree with the recent comments about the scutes - I like that they add visual interest yet don't take away from overall accuracy. Creative license in these ways do give sculptors more space to dream, without which we might see more and more lacklustre figures~

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: quiversaurus on April 26, 2023, 12:02:09 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 02:53:44 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 25, 2023, 02:23:49 PM
Quote from: vampiredesign on April 25, 2023, 02:08:33 PMPentaceratops Our data here is restored within <8 meters,The size from nose to tail is 22cm. (+Sharp angle 24cm)。
That would bring the scale for the Pentaceratops to 1/27 and the Titanoceratops to 1/31. Keep in mind that the latter is sometimes considered simply to be a very large Pentaceratops.

Pentaceratops is estimated 6-8 m based on the reconstruction, with the mentioned sharp angle that seems ok within 1:31 on the 8 m - 22cm (AMNH 6325 is estimated at 7-8m) , with a bit of fantasy and individual animal variety even 1:33-35 not impossible. ( animals can be up to 50 percent bigger than others of their species)

This is interesting, I took 6m - 24cm at first but 8m - 22cm is a lot closer to 1:35 scale than previously thought (though I think I would take 7.5m - 24cm to be on the "safer" side, giving 1:31 scale). Still on the larger side but still possible I think. I was comparing this to the Papo version and honestly I think this version is superior, especially pose-wise and colour/pattern-wise.

I must agree with the recent comments about the scutes - I like that they add visual interest yet don't take away from overall accuracy. Creative license in these ways do give sculptors more space to dream, without which we might see more and more lacklustre figures~

i just want to state that worrying about scale in dinosaurs is often sort of a pitfall, esp if the remains arent articulated . examples: charcharo is both accurate at 10m and at up to 14 m , since only the skull is known. animals also vary often massively in live. the pentaceratopses we found make up less than 0.000001 of them in live since fossiles are rare and animals vary due to genetics, so a 7.5 m estimate doesnt exclude a 9 m individual for example. so atleast to me as long as its close its not too bad.

Lynx

Agreed, I see no reason to complain when a company takes creative liberties that don't yank on overall accuracy. It's hardly even noticeable.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 26, 2023, 07:30:21 AMone pro i can also give BOTM is theire the only one to make accurate Dromeausaurs that are gorgeos( safari and collecta are ok but theire still toys , good toys but toys with those issues.) but jeah pnso atleast goes on sale sometimes, botm is 55-120 each.
Safari's dromaeosaurids are just as good as BOTM's, generally.  CollectA hasn't made good dromaeosaurids in my opinion.

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 26, 2023, 12:53:43 PMi just want to state that worrying about scale in dinosaurs is often sort of a pitfall, esp if the remains arent articulated . examples: charcharo is both accurate at 10m and at up to 14 m , since only the skull is known. animals also vary often massively in live. the pentaceratopses we found make up less than 0.000001 of them in live since fossiles are rare and animals vary due to genetics, so a 7.5 m estimate doesnt exclude a 9 m individual for example. so atleast to me as long as its close its not too bad.
Carcharodontosaurus is fragmentary but it is known from more than just the skull.  The exact length of Carcharodontosaurus is unknown though, so it can be accurate at different lengths, I think.

Flaffy

Got my green Ouranosaurus back from Martin. Love this figure! My copy had rather faint stripes originally so I asked Martin to help me emphasise them a bit more. Of course there's the added thumb spikes too.

Thialfi

Thanks for sharing the end result, looks great, enjoy!

Concavenator

Great, a Pentaceratops! With a good Pentaceratops around I don't think I'll need an Anchiceratops, given their similarities.

Very much looking forward to see what the stegosaurid (with how popular of a request Kentrosaurus is, it seems like a good bet!) and the sauropod are, but particularly hyped for the megaraptorid.

Also wanted to point out that hopefully the megaraptorid will be devoid of scutes, spikes or similar, given their classification as basal tyrannosauroids (coelurosaurs) according to Naish & Cau 2022 and Novas et al. 2014. So that sort of artistic license would be out of place here (that's the main reason why I'm not interested in AAoD's Australovenator). So it would actually make sense for it to be feathered (and with lips, naturally). If it's like this and it's Megaraptor namunhuaiquii itself (we've already had decent figures of other megaraptorids but still no good Megaraptor!), I will be automatically sold.

I have to say I love what Haolonggood is doing. Awesome sculpts and paintworks at a great price, and (as with the Ouranosaurus) some species a lot of us had been wanting to see represented decently for a while.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Sim on April 26, 2023, 04:06:56 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 26, 2023, 07:30:21 AMone pro i can also give BOTM is theire the only one to make accurate Dromeausaurs that are gorgeos( safari and collecta are ok but theire still toys , good toys but toys with those issues.) but jeah pnso atleast goes on sale sometimes, botm is 55-120 each.
Safari's dromaeosaurids are just as good as BOTM's, generally.  CollectA hasn't made good dromaeosaurids in my opinion.

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 26, 2023, 12:53:43 PMi just want to state that worrying about scale in dinosaurs is often sort of a pitfall, esp if the remains arent articulated . examples: charcharo is both accurate at 10m and at up to 14 m , since only the skull is known. animals also vary often massively in live. the pentaceratopses we found make up less than 0.000001 of them in live since fossiles are rare and animals vary due to genetics, so a 7.5 m estimate doesnt exclude a 9 m individual for example. so atleast to me as long as its close its not too bad.
Carcharodontosaurus is fragmentary but it is known from more than just the skull.  The exact length of Carcharodontosaurus is unknown though, so it can be accurate at different lengths, I think.

yes it is known from a bit more than the skull , i was mostly hyperbolic to make a point, the skull is still mostly used for size estimates overall .

SidB

It certainly is striking!

Fembrogon

It fits in seamlessly with the PNSO ceratopsians; I expected no less, but it's nice to see it affirmed all the same.

Medzo

Looks stunning. But yep, this is too big to integrate into my PNSO ceratopsian collection. Unless we take Titanoceratops as a potential adult form of it, this case the scale would perfectly fit.

SidB

Quote from: Medzo on April 27, 2023, 04:48:59 PMLooks stunning. But yep, this is too big to integrate into my PNSO ceratopsian collection. Unless we take Titanoceratops as a potential adult form of it, this case the scale would perfectly fit.
avatar_Medzo @Medzo, do you know what are the scales of Doyle 1 and 2 and the Torosaurus for that matter?

Leyster

S @SidB Doyle is based on Kelsey, and thus about 1:24
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on April 27, 2023, 05:34:21 PMS @SidB Doyle is based on Kelsey, and thus about 1:24
Ah, excellent, L @Leyster , that situates the Haolonggood Pentaceratops in a good spot among my  PNSO ceratopsids.

ceratopsian

Halichoeres came up with 1:30 or a bit larger for the PNSO Torosaurus, here:

https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?msg=325209

Leyster

If someone owns the PNSO Torosaurus and is able to measure the skull lenght (from the tip of the beak to the furthest pont of the frill) you could calculate it easily, the PNSO Torosaurus looks like it's based on MOR 112 which has a more or less 2.9 meters skull lenght.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

ceratopsian

I would say it's 10 cm.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: