News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mojo Fun: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 12, 2023, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SidB on May 30, 2023, 01:01:00 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on February 13, 2023, 04:42:55 PM
Should be interesting to see how this new figure fits in and coordinates with my existing collection of larger scale rhinos:

I would love to see some comparison pictures once you get your mojo in the mail.  This new Mojo looks like one of the better once I've ever seen...

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Flaffy on January 12, 2023, 05:13:33 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on January 12, 2023, 04:21:57 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I don't think there is that much difference between the horn in the Mojo figure and the image you posted, right? Perhaps with the newer studies concerning Elasmotherium losing its horn, estimates about Woolly Rhinos/Coelodonta are becoming a little more conservative as well?

Quote from: Faelrin on January 12, 2023, 04:32:50 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Doesn't Safari's have the big horn like that?

Not nearly as dramatic a curvature as the mummy though. I'd really like to see something like this. A horn that's almost pointing backwards.

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi No. We have plenty of fossil specimens that show Coelodonta having massive nasal horns. Though that's not to say a conservative horn is innaccurate, it just misses the opportunity to depict the species' most distinctive characteristics. Which again, the 2022 Mojo Mammoth is a good example of such.

Right, the horn is not inaccurate they just chose to model a rhino with a horn that hasn't grown all the way out there yet...

It might be possible to bend the one on the model a bit too, right?

Thialfi

Should be interesting to see how this new figure fits in and coordinates with my existing collection of larger scale rhinos:

Now that is a beautiful collection, I recognise some but not all - may I ask which ones we are looking at? Thanks in advance!

SidB

Quote from: Thialfi on May 30, 2023, 04:45:00 PM

Now that is a beautiful collection, I recognise some but not all - may I ask which ones we are looking at? Thanks in advance!
Absolutely, avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi , here they are:

Left to right - Papo, Wild Safari, Bullyland and AAA Wooly Rhinos

Left to right - CollectA Elasmotherium, Safari Missing Links Wooly Rhino and Wild Republic Wooly Rhino

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SidB on May 30, 2023, 05:40:35 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on May 30, 2023, 04:45:00 PM

Absolutely, avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi , here they are:

Left to right - Papo, Wild Safari, Bullyland and AAA Wooly Rhinos

Left to right - CollectA Elasmotherium, Safari Missing Links Wooly Rhino and Wild Republic Wooly Rhino

That's a nice collection and now you add the new Mojo, I think it will hold up really well, to my eyes the AAA, the Safari, and the Bully land look to be it's biggest competition...

SidB

Thanks, avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS . I've always found rhinos fascinating, so I usually snap up a collectible when I see one. BTW, the AAA comes in a large and a small version, the latter is what you are seeing here. It was finished in a greenish drybrushing, which looked weird , so I've redone it in  a blackish-brown, which does some justice to the figure. We don't see many of these figures anymore, occasionally on eBay.

Thialfi

Thank you S @SidB, much appreciated!

Flaffy

S @SidB Thanks for the rhino group pics! Would love to see how the Mojo Coelodonta stacks up with the rest of the line-up. Have been holding off on the Safari version for a while now for this reason.

CARN0TAURUS

S @SidB
Yes, thank you for sharing the images.  I'd love to see you compare the Mojo to the rest and hear what you think about the Mojo when you get it.

SidB

All of this talk about rhinos inspired me to check out eBay and lo and behold, I came across one that I don't have - the Geoworld Wooly Rhino. So I ordered it! Will share pictures when it gets to my door.

triceratops83

S @SidB I like how you've even got the Wild Republic one, a brand that often gets overlooked. And to get the Geoworld version. That's commitment!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SidB

Quote from: triceratops83 on May 31, 2023, 11:18:35 AMS @SidB I like how you've even got the Wild Republic one, a brand that often gets overlooked. And to get the Geoworld version. That's commitment!
I guess so. Don't think that it's an OCD, I just really like rhinos! I almost got the Geoworld one when it first came out, so I decided to snap it up now, before it disappears off the radar screen permanently. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the technically accurate standards of Doug Watson's Wild Safari exemplar.

CARN0TAURUS

I just got notification that mine is in transit from Australia.  That means it's in the air so once that airplane lands in LA it should just be a 2-3 days of customs then getting sorted by USPS and then going out for delivery.  I think I paid more for shipping than the figure itself but still very excited to get my hands on this wholly rhino.  Looking at the images online it has a forward leaning pose so this beast is posing at the top of a slight grade.  I'm going to make him a small simple wooden base that slopes up a few degrees so he'll display properly on the shelf.

Thialfi

My Coelodonta arrived yesterday, and it's such a beautiful model. I will never tire of prehistoric mammals and this one is no exception. The colors, the details: it feels so very much alive. One of the best I have seen on the market

Some pictures!

suspsy

It does indeed look nice, but I've no need for a second one. I really hope Mojo has something more unique in store for 2024.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Thialfi on June 11, 2023, 08:57:03 PMMy Coelodonta arrived yesterday, and it's such a beautiful model. I will never tire of prehistoric mammals and this one is no exception. The colors, the details: it feels so very much alive. One of the best I have seen on the market

Some pictures!

Thanks for posting the comparison photos!  IMO, it is the best version on the market.  The one big issue on this figure is his rump is really boney his rear end should be beefy like on all rhinos, the safari has a healthy butt on it and a bigger belly too but it suffers from overly thick legs. This new Mojo is my favorite for sure :)

CARN0TAURUS

I just got mine too.  I did my pin trick on the horn but the plastic is too dense and stubborn, I wasn't able to get as much bend as I would've liked.

The angle on the image might be too much but I wanted to show the angle at which is front legs are bearing weight horizontally.  This figure was meant to be displayed on a slight grade.  I'm considering building him a very small angled base.  Otherwise if placed on a flat surface, he looks like he's facing into hurricane strength windstorm.

stargatedalek

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 11, 2023, 11:51:31 PMWhat is the pin trick?
avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek
It's probably a dumb thing to do, but I've gotten some so so results and when I combine it with hot water trick it makes it permanent.
Read post #138 on this thread it explains everything
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9994.msg347936;topicseen#new

suspsy

I really hope Mojo does a prehistoric mammal next year that hasn't already been done by CollectA or Safari. Although Megatherium would be an exception; the Safari version is nicely sculpted but much too small.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: