News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mojo Fun: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 12, 2023, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renecito

Woolly Rhino

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

suspsy

My response to this is the same as to every previous Mojo reveal: not bad.

Hope there's at least one more prehistoric toy coming.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Good for Mojo, they've picked up the Cenozoic ball that CollectA decided not to handle. I never tire of Wooly Rhinos, they're the mammalian equivalent of Triceratops for me. This is good news, though I suppose that a less common mammal would have been better, but, realistically, this is doubtlessly a smarter commercial decision for Mojo.

Thialfi

Oh yes, I like this a lot. The only other Woolly Rhino in my collection is the Safari one and I'd definitely like to have a lovely little pair. The sculpt and paintwork look great. Good detail in the fur, horn and ears, and it really radiates that calm demeanor of a Rhino. If Mojos 2022 Mammuthus is anything to go by this is going to be a great release.

And like said by S @SidB, I love to see at least one company dedicated to Cenozoic mammals.

Flaffy

Looks good!The overall presentation looks better than the Safari version too. Interested to see how they compare with each other.

However,  it's weird how the sculptor seems adamant about giving the most conservative keratin possible to these sculpts. First  the Mammoth's tusks, now the Woolly rhino's horn. Would love to see a Woolly Rhino sculpt with a long and dramatically curved horn like this mummy.

Pliosaurking

I quite like how this looks, may get it.

Thialfi

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I don't think there is that much difference between the horn in the Mojo figure and the image you posted, right? Perhaps with the newer studies concerning Elasmotherium losing its horn, estimates about Woolly Rhinos/Coelodonta are becoming a little more conservative as well?

Faelrin

I think the Safari Ltd one has the more accurate coloration based on the cave paintings (maybe fur samples too?), but nice to see another option on the market after a while. It will go nicely with their recent two mammals.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Doesn't Safari's have the big horn like that?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

Never thought I'd say this of a MOJO figure but it has a vague Carnegie-esque look to it. Like the mammoth of the latter.
But that also means it is also a bit dated looking, whether thats a good or bad thing is up to the owner to judge. It is a good figure generally. 

bmathison1972

Wonderful woolly rhino! But I see no need to replace the Safari version.

Flaffy

Quote from: Thialfi on January 12, 2023, 04:21:57 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I don't think there is that much difference between the horn in the Mojo figure and the image you posted, right? Perhaps with the newer studies concerning Elasmotherium losing its horn, estimates about Woolly Rhinos/Coelodonta are becoming a little more conservative as well?

Quote from: Faelrin on January 12, 2023, 04:32:50 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Doesn't Safari's have the big horn like that?

Not nearly as dramatic a curvature as the mummy though. I'd really like to see something like this. A horn that's almost pointing backwards.

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi No. We have plenty of fossil specimens that show Coelodonta having massive nasal horns. Though that's not to say a conservative horn is innaccurate, it just misses the opportunity to depict the species' most distinctive characteristics. Which again, the 2022 Mojo Mammoth is a good example of such.

Gwangi

Not bad. I still don't have Safari's so perhaps I'll pick this one up instead. Will have to see actual photos first I suppose.

Thialfi

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy ah yes, if you're talking curvature/girth, gotcha. In terms of length it seems to scale up fairly well to the mummy you posted.

GojiraGuy1954

No WAY they actually made something cool
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Flaffy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 12, 2023, 07:54:10 PMNo WAY they actually made something cool

ikr? Hope this sculptor has more in store for us this year. A single mammal release per year is just not enough ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 12, 2023, 07:54:10 PMNo WAY they actually made something cool

Mojo has a great track record when it comes to prehistoric mammals and 2013 was a legendary year for Mojo on that front.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on January 12, 2023, 09:40:33 PM

Mojo has a great track record when it comes to prehistoric mammals and 2013 was a legendary year for Mojo on that front.
I have all of their 2013 releases of extinct mammals. It was outstanding.

Halichoeres

Good to see Mojo playing to their strength.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Mojo has formally announced this is it for 2023, so this rhino is the only DTF-centric release.

SidB

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 14, 2023, 05:09:01 PMMojo has formally announced this is it for 2023, so this rhino is the only DTF-centric release.
Somehow, I'm not terribly surprised, nor terrifically disappointed. Realistically, we almost never get many Cenozoic mammals, usually only a couple or so from all the companies combined in a given year. I am happy about the Wooly Rhino, but disappointed that CollectA didn't come forward with an extinct mammal.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: