News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TNG Prehistoric Figures (Unending Tedium)

Started by Loon, January 28, 2023, 03:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Flaffy on January 29, 2024, 02:49:42 PMAny news on the Arsinoitherium and Megatherium? There was a bunch of dinosaur soft models (akin to the Favorite Co. soft models?) revealed, but nothing noteworthy besides the pliosaur and ankylosaur.

Labelled "Saichania", but some are guessing Polacanthus as an ID. Not gonna lie I kinda prefer the TNG sculpt, particularly the head, over CollectA's attempt.
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006499613418.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.9.38181802Umt9jX

The link is for the Saichania, but has anyone found any site that sells the pliosaur? I've been trying to find one for months with no luck.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

triceratops83

I'm guessing that Ankylosaur is more likely Sauropelta, easy I guess for them to mislabel it as Saichania.

I'm still waiting on that Arsinoitherium myself. Not a big fan of mammals but I've always had a soft spot for Arsinoitherium, probably because Willis O'Brien intended on it being in Creation then King Kong. Besides, it's cool looking.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 12, 2024, 05:31:43 PMWait, how is "Mayonnaise Sundae" disrespectful? It's a nonsense phrase. It doesn't mean anything. (It made me laugh, though, so thanks avatar_Loon @Loon!)

And "A Continued Exercise in Tedium" was referring to the arguing going on in the thread at the time that title was added, not the company itself.

It is not. But "A Continued Exercise in Tedium" is disrespectful in my opinion and I was one who pointed that out when Loon first did it. It is ok to joke and add a funny title to topics, unless the title mocks peoples opinions and treats is as tedious exercise.

There's too much disrespect for adult dino toy collecting outside our communities already, at least in my experience, since dinosaurs are perceived as a childish subject. We don't need that in here. It is not uncommon for people to disregard the hobby as nonsense, childish, uninteresting and boring, sometimes taking time out of their day to complain and criticize other people's hobby, sometimes quite disrespectfuly, just because it is not something they like.

So when someone within our community mocks other's interest in continue to discuss the topic, I find it disrespectful. It is like you are saying "shut up, your opinions don't matter and they are boring nonense, I don't want to discuss it anymore, so you must also stop!". This also tells this is not a safe space for us members to discuss our passion freely.

I think as long the discussion is civil and no personal attacks are made, the discussion can go for as long as the involved people want. If someone is tired, simply remove themselves from the topic and go on with their lives with no loss whatsoever.

Loon could have simply deactivated notifications of the discussion to not be included anymore and ignore it and leave us discussing. But chose to make that title some snarky passive agressive statement to annoy someone. If it was meant to be a joke, either Loon failed completely or the joke is something very culturally specific that a foreigner like me might not get the joke. Well, it annoyed me more than sounded funny.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I don't see how either title is disrespectful in the slightest. A continued exercise in tedium doesn't refer to any one point someone is making. As I understand it the idea was simply that the constant arguments and back and forth in the thread had grown tedious.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Also ironically the title seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. By pointing out the constant arguments more arguments were in turn created.

Ikessauro

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 30, 2024, 11:24:32 PMI don't see how either title is disrespectful in the slightest. A continued exercise in tedium doesn't refer to any one point someone is making. As I understand it the idea was simply that the constant arguments and back and forth in the thread had grown tedious.

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 30, 2024, 11:27:06 PMAlso ironically the title seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. By pointing out the constant arguments more arguments were in turn created.

We'll have to agree to disagree then,regarding the first part  ;D

I think if one's tired of the tediousness of the thread, they could simply say that once in a post, they could even vent and explain why the post is tedious in their opinion, that is ok, because people will read it, go past it and the discussion moves on.

By labeling the whole thread as tedious, they manage to, as you pointed out, make it into a self fullfilling profecy. Now the post as a whole is tedious and any opinion posted on it is labeled as that, forever, for as long as the title calls it tedious. Even new posts by people not involved in the first "tedious discussions" are now labeled as tedious.

I also interpret that title as a way to try and limit people's freedom of speech by attributing to their opinion a slightly negative adjective. Like a "stop talking you are annoying me" kind of remark. But it seems I'm alone in this interpretation. Maybe it is a matter of the English language not translating well to me or simply I am "too sensitive". Either way, I stand by my opinion.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 30, 2024, 02:45:29 AMThe link is for the Saichania, but has anyone found any site that sells the pliosaur? I've been trying to find one for months with no luck.

Have you tried emailing the seller? They might just not have bothered to list it, but they can probably get it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Quiversaurus

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 30, 2024, 11:24:32 PMI don't see how either title is disrespectful in the slightest. A continued exercise in tedium doesn't refer to any one point someone is making. As I understand it the idea was simply that the constant arguments and back and forth in the thread had grown tedious.

(So that's what "A Continued Exercise in Tedium" meant... I thought it had to do with TNG's products being tedious...)

bmathison1972

Does that mean the Quetzalcoatlus was re-released? Anatomic corrections? I still need this genus and I'd prefer a 'standing' one over a 'flying' one!

bmathison1972

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 05, 2024, 03:31:57 PMDoes that mean the Quetzalcoatlus was re-released? Anatomic corrections? I still need this genus and I'd prefer a 'standing' one over a 'flying' one!

Oh I am confusing TNG with GR Toys (or are they they same?). Regardless what's the opionion on this guy? It's not on the DTB (unless it is the same as GR Toys...)

Ikessauro

Quote from: Quiversaurus on January 31, 2024, 03:48:56 AM(So that's what "A Continued Exercise in Tedium" meant... I thought it had to do with TNG's products being tedious...)

It actually had everything to do with the fact the topic creator find the discussion, and other people's opinion, boring. TNG's products are for sure not boring. If TNG products were boring, we would not be discussing them here so often.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Ikessauro on March 05, 2024, 04:09:43 PM
Quote from: Quiversaurus on January 31, 2024, 03:48:56 AM(So that's what "A Continued Exercise in Tedium" meant... I thought it had to do with TNG's products being tedious...)

It actually had everything to do with the fact the topic creator find the discussion, and other people's opinion, boring. TNG's products are for sure not boring. If TNG products were boring, we would not be discussing them here so often.

I don't want to speak for anyone or put words in anyone's mouth, but I think the 'tedium' thing, which I always interpreted as tongue-in-cheek to begin with, came about early on when there was a lot of discussion and concern over the origins of TNG figures. A lot of them were clearly based on previous sculpts and there was a lot of debate on whether they were 'knockoffs' (meaning, copied without the permission of the original producer) or if there were formal collaborations? I don't remember but I think there appeared to be a mix of both (for example, the Stegodon was made in conjunction with the original sculptor to make less-expensive PVC versions of the original resin (?) sculpture). SO, I think the 'tedium' comment came about during all the back and forth about original vs. copy vs. knockoff discussions. But it's been a while now, I may not remember and I don't check this thread frequently anymore. And frankly, that particular discussion was getting tedious, especially when it was learned most of the TNG 'copies' where done with formal agreements (but maybe not all...).

All that being said; if the conversation changes direction (which it has), the original poster or any Admin can change the title.

Ikessauro

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 05, 2024, 04:27:36 PMAll that being said; if the conversation changes direction (which it has), the original poster or any Admin can change the title.

That is my opinion too. The title should be changed once and for all and we could leave this behind us.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 05, 2024, 03:34:23 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 05, 2024, 03:31:57 PMDoes that mean the Quetzalcoatlus was re-released? Anatomic corrections? I still need this genus and I'd prefer a 'standing' one over a 'flying' one!

Oh I am confusing TNG with GR Toys (or are they they same?). Regardless what's the opionion on this guy? It's not on the DTB (unless it is the same as GR Toys...)

The strong resemblance of this Quetz to HLG/GR Toy's version is one of several reasons why there were strong suspicions at the beginning that TNG was mainly making knockoffs. They aren't identical, but they have similar proportion problems. If I didn't have the Colorata one, I'd probably go for Safari's, even though it's in a flying posture.

PS, I was kind of partial to 'mayonnaise sundae' myself.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 05, 2024, 07:50:43 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 05, 2024, 03:34:23 PM

The strong resemblance of this Quetz to HLG/GR Toy's version is one of several reasons why there were strong suspicions at the beginning that TNG was mainly making knockoffs. They aren't identical, but they have similar proportion problems. If I didn't have the Colorata one, I'd probably go for Safari's, even though it's in a flying posture.

PS, I was kind of partial to 'mayonnaise sundae' myself.

I've contemplated getting the Safari Quetzy several times, and I might do it someday for a $25 minimum purchase from Safari LOL, but I'd really like one that isn't flying.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: