News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 08, 2023, 09:41:29 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 08, 2023, 09:15:48 PMHonestly like this more than the EoFauna
This had better detailing but Eofauna has better proportions (but inhand pics may prove otherwise)
The Eofauna Giganotosaurus does not have better proportions.  Eofauna used a version of the skull that has been much criticised for being artificially elongated and then shrunk that skull down to a realistic length for a shorter skull.  So the Eofauna Giganotosaurus has a too stretched out skull where the known bones are smaller than they should be.

oscars_dinos

I also just wanted to show some love for that little belly stripe he's sporting im a big fan of it

Lynx

I gave it some time to grow on me, and while my general opinion is more positive, I still am not excited for the model and likely won't be getting it. Maybe it's the colors. Maybe it's the massive amount of theropods we already have. Whatever it is, I don't care for this figure, but that doesn't make it a bad figure.
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

I like Lucas 2.0 a lot more than Eofauna's. I've always found Eofauna's non-sauropod dinosaurs to be among their weaker offerings, and their Giganotosaurus is no exception. The paint application is more interesting than PNSO's for sure, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, especially those muddy air sprayed spots on its flank. PNSO's detail work is more refined, and anatomically it's more consistent with what we know now for the genus; whereas Eofauna's would be at home as an early 2000s reconstruction.

I'm inclined to believe they took into account Meraxes when figuring out the proportions for this beastie, so that's a probable W there. My only two gripes are the lips (as with every PNSO theropod); and the colour scheme being much duller than Lucas 1.0, which had these amazing vibrant oranges and yellows, and a dry-brushing effect that Lucas 2.0 sorely lacks.

Easily going into the cart though. I'm just surprised it took them so long to do it. Kind of expected them to hop on the JWD train and release Giganotosaurus & Therizinosaurus in close succession around the film's release time.

Gwangi

I like this one better than Eofauna's too but I'm just not a big enough fan of the genus to replace my Carnegie version. Also, it's in the museum line which means it will be expensive.  O:-)

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi  Carnegie's truly timeless
avatar_Sim @Sim I was refering to the size of the head relatively to its body, eofauna has now become dated aswell.
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Agreed, theres something about Lucas 1 Lucas 2 lacks in the detail department

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on February 08, 2023, 10:50:05 PMI like this one better than Eofauna's too but I'm just not a big enough fan of the genus to replace my Carnegie version. Also, it's in the museum line which means it will be expensive.  O:-)

I'm glad I held off for so long on getting a Giganotosaurus for this reason. PNSO's will be my representation of the genus in my collection no doubt about that.

Medzo

Quote from: SRF on February 08, 2023, 05:53:27 PM
Quote from: SidB on February 08, 2023, 04:04:19 PM
Quote from: Medzo on February 08, 2023, 02:40:22 PMI ws personally waiting for this since I've started to collect PNSO. The older version was not fit with the newer lines started in the last years. I also missed Gamba as I've felt we are going to see something like this again.
Yes, one could strongly sense that this was on the way. I actually hope that it is relatively close in size to the original and not smallish, as in Essian 2.0. Like many others here, I wasn't really looking forward to yet another standard theropod of any description. Later, okay, but not so soon. However, hopefully PNSO has gotten the standard theropod thing out of their system for now and we can move onto the various untouched dino types, or even further afield (e.g., pterosaurs).

It's a lot bigger than Essien 2.0. It's slightly longer than Wilson as well. It's not very tall though. Only 10 centimeters while Wilsons height is almost 13 centimeters. 

Speaking of Essien, I also foresee another Spino release in the future which will be finally 1:35 and more fit with the recent releases with paint and sculpt quality. This is just a gut feeling.

SidB

Will I get another Giganotosaurus? I've Lucas 1.0, the Eofauna, the Safari, Carnegie, Favorite. Hmmmm, I'll have to see.

Ivántirrophus

Height 10 cm?
I think is very small.
Is it 1/35 scale?

spinosaurus1

we're finally getting a giganotosaurus figure with a skull that is actually reconstructed to be inline with other carcharodontosaurids. that alone really gives this figure an elevated edge over figures offered prior. this is a must buy for me.

also good to see that they given thier charcharodontosaurid figure actual chest muscles. it always weird me out how both their carcharodontosaurus and acrocanthosaurus have an odd dip in their chest where in life both the sternal ribs and pectoral muscles would have certainly filled it out.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The figure is very nice but ultimately I'm pleased its a figure I'm not going to buy. I didn't mind replacing the £18 Safari Giganotosaurus with the £25 Eofauna Giganotosaurus, but I'm not replacing that with a probable £55 figure. And I only buy museum line figures when replacing others as too many boxes. Looking forward to the Therizinosaurus and Suchomimus though still.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Blade-of-the-Moon

It looks like a lot like the one I built for the park in general design and coloration. Might have to get it.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 09, 2023, 04:28:52 AMIt looks like a lot like the one I built for the park in general design and coloration. Might have to get it.
Are you talking about "Zoro" as I think he was nicknamed? The yellow one with blue crest?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 09, 2023, 04:37:30 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 09, 2023, 04:28:52 AMIt looks like a lot like the one I built for the park in general design and coloration. Might have to get it.
Are you talking about "Zoro" as I think he was nicknamed? The yellow one with blue crest?

lol yep. Just looked at him today while walking to the work shop, maybe a bit more blue in mine but I did do markings kinda like it. Which I sort of based on one of the Dinamation Rexes :

MLMjp

As excellently crafted the dinosaurs of PNSO are, they seem to be following the steps of Safari of making every single dinosaur in yellow-ish tones (with some grey on top) :(

A little bit of color variation, please!

dragon53

"As excellently crafted the dinosaurs of PNSO are, they seem to be following the steps of safari of making every single dinosaur in yellow-ish tones (with some grey on top) :(

A little bit of color variation, please!"

Bingo!

I posted about PNSO's plain vanilla paint scheme on the Acrocathosaurus on a Youtube video review in which I stated I preferred the color scheme and stance from the leaflet included with the figure---and got some flack for my suggestion.

Lynx

People always get mad at this comment but
Even dull color schemes can look NICE. The problem isn't PNSOs figures being dull, it's that the colors and patterns are plain. "Dull" colors and "plain" color schemes can easily be two different things.

BOTMs 'Raptor' series is a perfect example of having dull colors while not being plain. (Yes I know some have very vibrant colors, shh). Most use the dull colors we are used to from PNSO. Browns, oranges, tans, greys, some blues, and yet when was the last time you recall someone complaining that those figures were plain?

For example's sake, let me take this little shot I found off google.
All these figures have the same dull colors we are used to, but you know what keeps them from being plain? The patterns.
An exciting pattern can save a figure. Even an unexciting palette like the one at the bottom right is made so much more interesting and fresh.

That is what I really believe is holding PNSO back. The reason people keep complaining. The reason I am even making this post is. Maybe it's unfair, but I will put this here as some food for thought.
An oversized house cat.

ceratopsian

I for one don't complain about the PNSO colour schemes. "Exciting" for me often means over the top and fussy. I also find that when I have a PNSO figure in hand, the paintwork is layered, complex and quite subtle for a mass-produced item.  Not sure this always comes over from the photos.

Yes, I love my brightly coloured and exotically patterned BotM ceratopsians.  But their articulation makes them much more stylised creations, more sculptural objects than living creatures - and for me personally, that changes my preferences for pattern and use of colour.  Also the articulation leaps out at me less if the eye is drawn away from it by the heavy patterning of colourful splashes, whether brilliant or more muted.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: