News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Medzo on February 08, 2023, 02:40:22 PMI ws personally waiting for this since I've started to collect PNSO. The older version was not fit with the newer lines started in the last years. I also missed Gamba as I've felt we are going to see something like this again.
Yes, one could strongly sense that this was on the way. I actually hope that it is relatively close in size to the original and not smallish, as in Essian 2.0. Like many others here, I wasn't really looking forward to yet another standard theropod of any description. Later, okay, but not so soon. However, hopefully PNSO has gotten the standard theropod thing out of their system for now and we can move onto the various untouched dino types, or even further afield (e.g., pterosaurs).

SidB

Quote from: Antey on February 08, 2023, 03:28:46 PMI have long wanted this predator in my collection. After the critical smashing of previous models of Giganotosaurus from other manufacturers, I looked at the model from Vitae. But I didn't like her for some reason, probably because of her pose. And now the PNSO has made its own version. And it seems that the skull looks like a new reconstruction. But still something is worrying. He's kind of sad, isn't he?
Maybe he's upset that he's next on line for a "critical smashing". It's tough being a dinosaur on the DTF. Short period of acceptance.

stargatedalek

It's probably sad from being in constant pain since its teeth and gums are exposed to the elements.

Lynx

The figure is nice, just not my thing. The Safari LTD model is already perfectly good, and if a figure has managed to stand the test of time to the point where people still don't want to replace it, that's very good work.
An oversized house cat.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Top Notch work. But not interesting as a Figure for me.

oscars_dinos

I'm surprised how much this figure is being looked down upon, I do understand the museum line tag being a bummer but besides that I don't know. Obviously everyone's opinion is ok but when I saw this figure in the morning I was like OH! The comparison to gamba is also fair but I actually like that, I like having species that look similar but aren't, and I'm actually really interested to see what these two will look like together (also I hate gambas paint scheme and think this one is better)

Sim

YES!!!  I'm so happy!  I was hoping for a new Giganotosaurus from PNSO and this one has exceeded my expectations!  It's perfect!  I love that they gave it a similar colouration to the original version as I liked it and it's come out even better on this new version!  I'm very happy they made it 1:35 scale too.

I'm surprised at the mostly negative reception it's received here.  Giganotosaurus deserves this model, and it's an excellent one.  I hope Dilophosaurus, Utahraptor and Styxosaurus or Plesiosaurus are next from PNSO!

SRF

Quote from: SidB on February 08, 2023, 04:04:19 PM
Quote from: Medzo on February 08, 2023, 02:40:22 PMI ws personally waiting for this since I've started to collect PNSO. The older version was not fit with the newer lines started in the last years. I also missed Gamba as I've felt we are going to see something like this again.
Yes, one could strongly sense that this was on the way. I actually hope that it is relatively close in size to the original and not smallish, as in Essian 2.0. Like many others here, I wasn't really looking forward to yet another standard theropod of any description. Later, okay, but not so soon. However, hopefully PNSO has gotten the standard theropod thing out of their system for now and we can move onto the various untouched dino types, or even further afield (e.g., pterosaurs).

It's a lot bigger than Essien 2.0. It's slightly longer than Wilson as well. It's not very tall though. Only 10 centimeters while Wilsons height is almost 13 centimeters. 
But today, I'm just being father

Lynx

I have not seen any super negative comments, just people uninterested. I think it is more unexcited than negative. Most opinions on the figure itself have been nothing but positive
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Thanks for the measurements, avatar_SRF @SRF .

Eatmycar

The sculpt is gorgeous, but, oof, what a painfully bland color scheme...

They can do such good sculpts, it's a shame they don't branch out more. I thought Jacques might be a sign of change here.

Sim

The colour scheme of PNSO's new Giganotosaurus isn't bland, it looks colourful and distinctive!  It looks similar to their prevous Giganotosaurus's I'll give you that, but they still made it nicely different.

I wonder if now that PNSO has an updated Giganotosaurus, they will go back and make a standing/walking Tyrannosaurus with fine detail and a 1:35 adult Spinosaurus?

Eatmycar

IDK, that's pretty bland to me. It's that same gross yellow undertone they always use for their theropods overlaid by an army green. I mean, yay, they added some striping I guess but this isn't exactly very interesting to look at. Reminds me of the Torvosaurus... the Carcharodontosaurus... the Zhucheng...

It's all very same-y.

The Sinopliosaurus, Tarbosaurus, and Carnotaurus were very unique and memorable in comparison to this.

Sim

It's down to individual tastes then I think, because I do find it interesting to look at.  It doesn't look much like those other theropods you mentioned.

Baryonyx

It is as always with PNSO an incredible feat in quality of sculpt and intricacy.

I think PNSO have run the risk of the Carcharodontosaurus comparison because of the pose,  which is practically identical.
I know it is equally the most default pose, which you can hardly ascribe to one model in particular.

Personally I found it so powerfully convincing in the Carcharodontosaurus, which was the first theropod of PNSO to use this look of proper muscles in the leg, broad shins and ankles, capturing the scale of its stride. It was like the best ever executed 'walking straight ahead' pose.

I think they could've mixed it up a little here is all - as they did so well with Zuchengtyrannus, which is quite unique with its bird-like raised foot, adding something refreshing to the apex predator tyrannnosaurid scheme.

Also the colour scheme is good. I realised it might be a reference to James Gurney's famous painting!

Joel1905

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 08, 2023, 04:20:58 PMIt's probably sad from being in constant pain since its teeth and gums are exposed to the elements.

This argument has already been debunked, and it's gums aren't exposed. Extant Crocodilians can spend months away from water and their teeth are just fine in dry conditions, not to mention Archosaurs are/were able to replace their teeth.

Giganotosaurus had very rugose texturing on its skull, like Tyrannosaurs, which is one of the reasons that Carr et al came to the lipless conclusion.

Edit: Oh boy I was wrong here. I feel stupid for believing the lipless hypothesis.

Joel1905

The new Giga looks great! Yet, predictably, the responses are either grumbling or groaning.

EmperorDinobot

GojiraGuy1954

Honestly like this more than the EoFauna
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 08, 2023, 09:15:48 PMHonestly like this more than the EoFauna
This had better detailing but Eofauna has better proportions (but inhand pics may prove otherwise)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: