You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Toys you played with alongside your dinosaurs

Started by grantharding, February 11, 2023, 04:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantharding

When you played with dinosaur toys as a kid, were there specific non-dinosaur toys that you always played with alongside them?

I had an audio dramatization of Conan Doyle's LOST WORLD that I listened to in the bath. I used to act it out with my dinosaur toys, and with this floating dock and boat and little men:

The bearded guy in blue was Professor Challenger, and the guy in yellow was Ed Malone.

How about you?

Stegotyranno420

As a child, along with my brother:
Extant animals
Hot wheel cars
Beyblades
Mythical creature figures.
We made alot of fun stories with all these things, they were good times but we had to move on...

Gwangi

I didn't have a lot of human action figures as a kid so when I wanted dinosaurs to mix with humans I usually used green army men. I would also use extant animals and other creatures, like rubber snakes and big lizards, and they would live with and fight with the dinosaurs. Similar to what you would see in old stop motion movies like One Million Years B.C.

Jose S.M.

Most of my toys were extant animals, I had some dragons and off brand "Lego" sets ( in my country all plastic building blocks are called Lego regardless of their brand) and modeling clay.

Faelrin

I kind of just kept them to themselves. Honestly I think I basically just fiddled around with them most of the time. I think I can vaguely recall using the JPIII toys to fight on occasion. Granted there's only a handful of toys I can remember playing with from my childhood at this point in time.

Specifically (from oldest to most recent I guess?):
Spoiler
-Street Sharks (most of the shows cast? I think the Orca character was my favorite back then though. I remember bringing it everywhere)
-Primal Rage toys (the whole cast, minus the canceled sequel's figures)
-The Kenner electronic Draco from Dragonheart
-Mufasa from The Lion King
-Edit: Of course how did I forgot the Beast Wars Megatron which was a major pain to transform, lol?
-TLW T. rex "Junior", and maybe one of the Velociraptor figures
-My dad's Godzilla toy
-Gargoyles Goliath (maybe others?)
-Earthworm Jim, and this big red dog guy that was my favorite.
-Chaos effect Amargospinus and Compstegnathus
-Some kind of Lego or Megablocks desert explorer set. Maybe Egyptian themed? Felt like an Indiana Jones inspired set though.
-This Zelda Ocarina of Time set (2000?)
-Edit: That Animorphs Tobias hawk Transformer styled figure. Can't believe I nearly forgot this one too, considering how much I played with it back then. Edit 2: There was a T. rex one too which I recall seeing in stores and wanting, but never got.
-Most of the JPIII electronic toys. Missed out on the Alpha raptor, Aqua Spinosaurus, Pteranodon, and later Tapejara. Also had the Raptor Attack playset (which I bought again a few years back). (2001)
-Lego Mosasaurus, and Spinosaurus? Maybe others? (2001?)
-This Lego werewolf set, though I honestly only really remember playing with the werewolf figure.
-Those Zelda Ocarina of Time horse sets. I think we had all three? Link with Epona (which was my favorite of course), Zelda with her horse, and Ganondorf with his horse. (2001 or 2002?)
-Randall from Monsters Inc (2001 or 2002?)
-Shrek's Donkey (2002 or 2003)
-Some Megablocks alien sets (from around 2002 or 2003)
-Some Lilo and Stitch Disney store sets (2004 or 2005)
-Megablocks dragons (2005 or later, dad found them being thrown out and gifted them to me when I was in high school I think?)

[close]

Lost all of the above in various storage units my parents had that got auctioned off over the years. Obviously I also had plenty of McDonald's and Burger King toys. Some I remember, some I've obviously forgotten about since.

There are a few others I can also remember, but can't remember who made them. I know I had this purple cobra headed dude I used to play with. Think it came out of a playset I found in the supermarket. There was another figure I found at KB Toys in 2002 or so shortly after I was moved down to PA to come to a private school here. It was like an alien wolf man or some such. Had a big mouth for sure. Not sure if it was G I Joe or another brand though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

The only other toy I used in unison with my dinosaurs was Lego: Dino Riders wasn't available where I lived (or I simply never found any of the toys), so I'd make harnesses with Lego to put on my dinosaurs. Great fun, I could go as crazy with the size and guns as I pleased. My larger figures carried whole bunkers full of Lego figures on their backs.

I made different clans between the different Lego themes: knights, pirates, space, you name it.

Over9K

I was "scale conscious" as a kid, so I wouldn't play with my dinosaurs together with other toys, because it made them look small... untill...

Micro Machines.

You could get cars, trucks, military equipment, buildings, etc. All of a sudden, my dinosaurs had a city to wade through, devouring people as they went, just like the Topps DINOSAURS ATTACK! cards that I was obsessed with at the same time.

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

MLMjp

Playmobils, mostly. An adventurer playmobil was often dealing with dinosaurs in my playtime.

bmathison1972

As a kid, when I played with toy animals/dinosaurs, I kept them separate from action figures (Star Wars, He-Man, D&D). Interesting, never thought about it until this thread, but yeah, I kept the reality separate from the fantasy.

Newt

I had a few kaiju toys that I considered part of the dinosaur toy set. Otherwise I did not mix and match toys, as I would risk a stern lecture from my older brother. The nerve of me, thinking Destro could hop in his X-wing to flee the battle between the Imperial Ceratosaurus and the Go-Bots!

PrimevalRaptor

As a kid I always REALLY watched out for the scale of my dinosaur models and the time period and stuff so I mostly played with the dinosaurs (and co) themselves but sometimes I substituted extant animals like crocodiles, small lizards, sharks and stuff for prehistoric species and sometimes some Lego figures and a makeshift vehicle, playing a bit after Primeval and stuff (including me using the Bullyland Komodo Dragon as Megalania since it was larger and more bulky than my Schleich Komodo Dragon)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.