News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DTB content being stolen

Started by DinoToyForum, February 13, 2023, 10:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I'm aware that a substantial amount of content from the DTB, including full reviews and photos, are being stolen by other nefarious websites who are reposting it without my permission. The purpose of the theft is to make money by driving traffic to their site, and they even take the affiliate links at the top and bottom of the reviews and replace the code with their own affiliate links.

To help counter this I've installed a plugin to stop website content being easily copied from the front end. So, if you notice you can't copy-paste content any more, this is why.

To protect reviews being scraped from my RSS feeds I've had to change posts in feed to excerpts instead of full reviews. This will affect those who subscribe to the blog via email. Sorry, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, I'm afraid you'll have to visit the blog from now in to see the full reviews, but you'll still get email notifications.

Obviously I'm not going to link to the offending sites, and please don't bother looking for it, because the more views they get the more it will encourage them... It has happened to us in the past and, usually, the sites disappear after a while.

bmathison1972

ATB having material being stolen too? Either way, would be good to have a safeguard there as well

DinoToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 13, 2023, 10:31:13 PMATB having material being stolen too? Either way, would be good to have a safeguard there as well

I haven't seen any but I'll put in place the safeguards there as well, otherwise it's probably a matter of time.

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum - I wondered why my last blog email was strangely truncated!  Such thefts are reprehensible.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 14, 2023, 09:02:32 AMThanks avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum - I wondered why my last blog email was strangely truncated!  Such thefts are reprehensible.

:-X Part of me wants to take action to get the stolen content taken down, but the other part of me doesn't want to give them a moment of my time and knows I haven't really any recourse anyway. So I'll stand back and let them fizzle over time. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it will have any real-world impact on the DTB, but it's surely frustrating.

Also I noticed the last blog was unusually truncated, on the archive page at least, because it ends on the the letter "T." for T. rex. That's because I set the posts to get truncated at the end of a sentence, i.e. immediately after a full stop or other closing mark. So, it thinks T. is the end of a sentence!

Lynx

Is this just the images or text, or both? I am quite active on a website where they use photos from DTB (not for reviews or anything) quite frequently.
An oversized house cat.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lynx on February 14, 2023, 01:38:05 PMIs this just the images or text, or both? I am quite active on a website where they use photos from DTB (not for reviews or anything) quite frequently.

The whole lot, copied wholesale. I'm not talking about Pinterest or anything like that.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 14, 2023, 01:41:04 PM
Quote from: Lynx on February 14, 2023, 01:38:05 PMIs this just the images or text, or both? I am quite active on a website where they use photos from DTB (not for reviews or anything) quite frequently.

The whole lot, copied wholesale. I'm not talking about Pinterest or anything like that.

Oof. Thats bad to hear. I hope it will help a bit to slim down the amout of stolen content. It is interesting how much work goes into stealing and changeing stuff to generate Money from other peoples work and dedication in a HOBBY like this. Disgusting but sadly not surprising.

DinoToyForum

Content from the DinoToyBlog continues to be stolen by being scraped and/or hotlinked for other websites, despite my efforts above to stop it. So, I've just taken further action by installing some more security features on the blog. Hopefully this will help put an end to it. The changes shouldn't cause any problems with real users accessing and viewing the blog, but just in case, I'm mentioning it here – let me know if you encounter any problems.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DinoToyForum on June 12, 2023, 09:47:05 PMContent from the DinoToyBlog continues to be stolen by being scraped and/or hotlinked for other websites, despite my efforts above to stop it. So, I've just taken further action by installing some more security features on the blog. Hopefully this will help put an end to it. The changes shouldn't cause any problems with real users accessing and viewing the blog, but just in case, I'm mentioning it here – let me know if you encounter any problems.

It's working! New reviews seem to NOT be appearing on other sites, and previously stolen reviews have the images removed. However an unforeseen consequence that I've just been made aware of: we can no longer hotlink our own images. So, image tags on this forum (which basically hotlinks the images) will no longer work for images hosted on dinotoyblog.com or animaltoyforum.com. This will also break older hotlinked images. It's a price worth paying I guess?