News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New BARNEY relaunch

Started by dragon53, February 14, 2023, 03:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

BARNEY---Mattel is relaunching its purple dinosaur franchise with new toys, movies, tv, Youtube videos, clothing, books and music. Mattel Television head Fred Soulie said an animated tv series titled BARNEY will premiere in 2024, and the relaunch will, "properly reflect the world that kids today live in so that the series can deliver meaningful lessons about navigating it".

Lynx

This is either going to be horrible or pretty okay.
An oversized house cat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

This should be good. "Modern" problems...

suspsy

Is anyone really all that surprised? Barney is probably the most successful fictional dinosaur of all time. With everything else getting rebooted, it was only inevitable.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Eatmycar

Genius move by Mattel.

Mattel is, assuming this works, poised to monopolize the child dinosaur toy market if this actually goes somewhere. Barney -> Imaginext ->  Mainline Jurassic World -> Hammond Collection is a trajectory for young folks if they are able to keep the toy line going in the distant future.

I'm not sure if this was an intent behind the revival, but if it is, it's a damn smart play.

Faelrin

Tbh I'm surprised an animated adaption like this hasn't been in the works sooner. Curious how it will turn out, considering I watched the original series when I was a young kid.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

dragon53

BARNEY'S WORLD---the animated dinosaur tv series that will "properly reflect the world that kids today live in so that the series can deliver meaningful lessons about navigating it" will premiere on Max and the Cartoon Network in 2024.

EmperorDinobot

How sweet. Daniel Tiger became a cartoon even though it was based on a puppet that did not get much air-time 30ish years ago. Barney making a return doesn't surprise me at all.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.