News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wild Past - Wave 2 - Kickstarter

Started by DinoToyCollector, March 22, 2023, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Plateosaurus & Teratosaurus would be my top choices. It would be too bad if they wouldn't make it.

Sim

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 08, 2023, 09:41:04 PM:)  Here we go:

UNVEILING FUTURE GIANTS  by Stefan Klein

A Shift in Schedule

Originally slated for December 13, 2023, our campaign start date has been nudged slightly to ensure all the cogs in our logistics machine are well-oiled and ready to support the adventure that awaits. Adjustments to shipping details and logistics are underway to pave the path for a smooth journey. Though a new start date isn't set in stone just yet, rest assured, the 60-day campaign will be an epic period dedicated to spreading the word far and wide, ensuring our project transforms from vivid dreams to palpable reality.

Now, Onto the Epoch-Making Announcements:

We're thrilled to share a sneak peek of what lies beyond the horizon—our potential stretch goals, each a celebration of prehistoric marvels from every corner of the Mesozoic world:

Plateosaurus engelhardti

Hailing from the Bavarian depths, this formidable beast measures a striking 21cm in 1:35 scale, promising to be a centerpiece of any collection.

Teratosaurus

This lesser-known Triassic terror, a contemporary of Plateosaurus, is set to reclaim its forgotten throne.

Maiasaura

The 'Good Mother Lizard' comes to life with a hatchling by her side, embodying the nurturing spirit of the Cretaceous. The picture shows a nearly finished model in standard pose.

Jurassic England Duo

Dive into the Jurassic with a Scelidosaurus and a Sarcosaurus, the latter seen clutching a Dimorphodon, as portrayed in an early 3D model.

Deinonychosaurus Trio

Whether they hunted in packs or not. Three Deinonychosaurus in dynamic stances offer a chance to affordably expand your dinosaur diorama.

Breaking the silence: Tenontosaurus & Deinonychus

Revamped from our 3D shop, this duo is ready to leap into action, creating a scene straight out of the Cretaceous playbook. Here you'll get a Deinonychus figure attacking the peaceful foraging of our Tenontosaurus.

Join the Prehistoric Poll

We're eager to hear which of these ancient titans excites you the most. Your feedback is invaluable as it will guide us in prioritizing which models to push to the forefront. The more enthusiasm we see for a figure, the higher the chance it will join the ranks of our Kickstarter campaign offerings.

Let us know your top pick and help us decide which stretch goal to chase down first. Drop us a message, comment on our socials, or send a carrier pigeon if you must—every voice counts!

As we refine the details and prepare for the grand unveiling, your support is the wind beneath the wings of our prehistoric fleet. Stay tuned for the new launch date, and get ready to make history with us.

Thank you for your unwavering support and patience. Together, we'll ensure that these bygone behemoths roam once more.

With gratitude,

Stefan Klein

Wild Past Studio
Thanks for sharing this avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischianavatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector is so nice.  It will be my pleasure to support this Kickstarter.

A couple of things:
1. Plateosaurus engelhardti has been changed to Plateosaurus trossingensis, as the holotype of engelhardti is not diagnostic, so well-presereved specimens prevously classified as engelhardti have been reclassified as trossingensis.
2. The deinonychosaur trio are Deinonychus, right?

The figures from my most wanted to least:
1. Plateosaurus
2. Deinonychus trio
3. Scelidosaurus
4. Tenontosaurus + Deinonychus
5. Teratosaurus
6. Maiasaura
7. Sarcosaurus

DefinitelyNOTDilo

My god, these figures all look so good! Plateosaurua scelidosaurus and deinonychus in particular all being figures I've wanted in 1:35 for a while!

ceratopsian

I'll meditate a little on my preferred stretches. Safe to say Plateosaurus is top of the eventual list!

Concavenator

Thanks for the info S @shahinos and avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian !

Out of those, I would without a doubt choose the Plateosaurus and the Maiasaura. Tenontosaurus I would love to get as well... BUT I'm not interested in getting a Deinonychus with it. So I don't know what I would do. Perhaps if the Deinonychus was in a neutral enough pose, I might go for it, but anyways I would have to replace my Safari Deinonychus. The other species I'm personally not interested in, so I see no point in ranking them by order of preference, but they look great.

Quote from: Faelrin on December 08, 2023, 09:52:14 PMAlso wow I had no idea Tenontosaurus had really weird hands.

It does indeed!

John

Of these choices,I will have to go with Plateosaurus,Tenontosaurus,Maiasaura and Scelidosaurus
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Pliosaurking

Teratosaurus and Plateosaurus are my top picks followed by the Maiasaura. The others are all really nice as well!

Fembrogon

As great as all these choices are, it's actually the Teratosaurus which ended up making me break out in the biggest grin. What a blast from the past for a novel figure choice!

If I must rank from most desired to "least" desired, the result would be something like this:

• Plateosaurus
  • Teratosaurus
  • Tenontosaurus
  • Deinonychus
  • Maiasaura
  • Scelidosaurus
  • Sarcosaurus

LucasLiu

When is the Kickstarter?

Flaffy

I'd love to see Scelidosaurus be made, but the 3D model could use some refinement to get the osteoderm shapes, size and count correct. I could be wrong but I don't recall there being much evidence supporting that extent of keratin covering on the face, reminds me of the keratin-covered Triceratops reconstructions in the mid-late 2010s that were disproven when scales were found on the frill.

From Norman 2020's Scelidosaurus paper.

Prehistoric Kingdom's reconstruction is based off Norman 2020 and is a fantastic reference for an in-life reconstruction

Flaffy

Quote from: Concavenator on December 08, 2023, 10:18:38 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on December 08, 2023, 09:52:14 PMAlso wow I had no idea Tenontosaurus had really weird hands.

It does indeed!

It should be noted that Tenontosaurus only had 2 clawed digits on its manus according to current evidence. A feature that Emily Stepp's artwork correctly showcases. I can't tell for sure on the WIP Wild Past sculpt, but to me it seems like it has a clawed Digit III?

"Digit III is terminated by a small, dome-shaped phalanx (OMNH 58340), rather than the clawed ungual that was previously reconstructed to terminate this digit (Forster, 1990:fig. 14B; Dodson, 1980:fig. 1D; Ostrom, 1970:plate 21A)." - Hunt et al. 2021

Flaffy

My ranking:

1) Plateosaurus
2) Tenontosaurus
3) Maiasaura
4) Scelidosaurus
5) Teratosaurus
6) Deinonychus
7) Sarcosaurus

EDIT: Rankings shifted

DinoToyCollector

The reconstruction of the Scelidosaurus is based on the paper from Norman. There he stated: "It is also clear from the rough texturing of the skull bones that it was, in life, covered by hardened horny scutes - a little bit like the scutes plastered over the surface of the skulls of living turtles,"

Scelidosaurus was redefined as an early ankylosaur and especially the skull part, was what I put most of my time into with various iterations. Every little scute is where it belongs  following your mentioned paper  ;)

@Sim
Yes, These are Deinonychus. I must have overread the misspelling. Kind of emberassing when working "accurate"

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Well done avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector, you really know how to offer what collectors, or at least myself, have always wanted! My only hope is that it won't hurt my wallet too much when I inevitably attempt to buy every figure! As for a personal ranking, it would probably be something like this: Deinonychus, Scelidosaurus and co, Plateosaurus, Teratosaurus, Tenontosaurus, and Maiasaura, though all of these are slam dunks in my opinion!

Flaffy

Quote from: DinoToyCollector on December 09, 2023, 07:11:39 AMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy
The reconstruction of the Scelidosaurus is based on the paper from Norman. There he stated: "It is also clear from the rough texturing of the skull bones that it was, in life, covered by hardened horny scutes - a little bit like the scutes plastered over the surface of the skulls of living turtles,"

Scelidosaurus was redefined as an early ankylosaur and especially the skull part, was what I put most of my time into with various iterations. Every little scute is where it belongs  following your mentioned paper  ;)

Apologies for my ignorance and preemptitive jumping to conclusions. Based on your explanation I trust that the sculpt is true to the paper skeletal.

Re: Facial integument.
Since Norman made the comparison with turtles, I was initally under the impression the facial scutes would be smoother and flatter / more form fitting. Though I realise that keratin & soft tissue can dramatically change the silouette of an animal. Opens the room for different interpretations of the material, and I shouldnt have jumped to conclusions that the reconstruction was "invalid".

I guess Knuppe's reconstructions of the "new" Scelidosaurus were still stuck in my head:

Concavenator

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector Is it me or do the dorsal scales on the Maiasaura look a bit strange with those pointy bits? Are they meant to look like that? I highlighted some of them in red, to show what I mean:

On another hand, how could the Maiasaura make it into the Kickstarter if the model isn't finished yet? I don't simply mean that we wouldn't be able to see the finished model by the time the Kickstarter launches (or would we?), but also how could it actually be delivered once the Kickstarter is over (again, considering it's not finished)?

Also interested in learning more details about the campaign: when will it launch, pricing, etc. I definitely want to participate.

S @SidB I bet you'll be happy to see that Plateosaurus.

Daspletodave

My vote is for Plateosaurus, Scelidosaurus, and Tenontosaurus.

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I think the pointy bits on the Maiasaura's back scales take inspiration from similar structures on Brachylophosaurus, which can be seen in Scott Hartman's skeletal here: https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/ornithiscians/brachylophosaurus

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Thanks! That makes sense, Maiasaura is a Brachylophosaurini too.

Turacoverdin

Wish we could just have them all at once haha

From most to least desired:
1) Teratosaurus - such a great rauisuchid model is too good to pass up
2) Jurassic England Duo - had to prioritise these two as a fellow Englishman haha
3) Deinonychus Trio - I love anything maniraptoran
4) Plateosaurus - has needed a modern rendition for a long while
5) Tenontosaurus - same as above, I also find it to be very morphologically interesting
6) Maiasaura - nothing against it, the rest simply catch me eye even more. It's beautifully done. I see that the skull has been correctly restored too.

You already had me at Chasmosaurus and Segnosaurus, but this roadmap is icing on the cake. Looking forward to supporting the Kickstarter.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: