You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"A Middle Ordovician Burgess Shale-type fauna from Castle Bank, Wales (UK)", published 1 May 2023

Started by ceratopsian, May 04, 2023, 12:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

This article by Joseph Botting et al. sounds interesting, published a couple of days ago in Nature.  Here's the link to the abstract:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-023-02038-4

The importance of the find seems to be this:  "Here we present the Castle Bank fauna: a highly diverse Middle Ordovician Burgess Shale-type fauna from Wales (UK) that is directly comparable with the Burgess Shale and Chengjiang biotas in palaeoenvironment and preservational style. The deposit includes animals with morphologies similar to the iconic Cambrian taxa Opabinia, Yohoia and Wiwaxia, combined with early examples of more derived groups such as barnacles."   (My bolding.)

However, it is paywalled.  Can you perhaps help those of us who would like to see it, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres?

Halichoeres

My current employer does not have access, but my future employer does. Luckily I already have the login for their library system! So yes, if anyone wants the pdf, just send me a message with your email address (or just email me if we've corresponded that way previously).

Meanwhile, here's an example of one of the fossils, a bivalved arthropod:

The scale bar in the larger photo is 1 mm!

And a reconstruction of the biota by DH Yang:

Quite a lot more in common with Cambrian biotas than I would have expected, and less of the subsequent, more stereotypical Paleozoic biotas. I'll be excited to actually read this in detail.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Crackington

Thanks for posting avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian and avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres. I saw the Guardian article too the other day and was pleased to note that the site is anticipated to yield many discoveries for years to come.

I also notice an Ottoia like species in the illustration, alongside the others mentioned earlier. Amazing how tiny they all are!

ceratopsian

I noted the Ottoia look-alike too and pointed out to my long-suffering husband my own little Ottoia, conveniently close at hand on the sideboard, avatar_Crackington @Crackington.

Crackington

Yes, always wise to keep a Cambrian creature nearby! I hope Mr Ceratopsian appreciated it!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.