You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What 5 sauropodomorphs would we like CollectA to make?

Started by Sim, June 08, 2023, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What 5 sauropodomorphs would you like the most from CollectA?

Amargasaurus (new)
8 (24.2%)
Ampelosaurus (new)
8 (24.2%)
Barosaurus (1:40 scale)
22 (66.7%)
Brachiosaurus (new, deluxe)
7 (21.2%)
Brachytrachelopan
14 (42.4%)
Brontosaurus (deluxe 1:35/1:40 scale)
5 (15.2%)
Camarasaurus
6 (18.2%)
Dicraeosaurus
8 (24.2%)
Diplodocus (walking)
1 (3%)
Eoraptor (1:6 scale)
9 (27.3%)
Nigersaurus (new)
11 (33.3%)
Plateosaurus (new, 1:35 scale)
21 (63.6%)
Supersaurus (deluxe)
6 (18.2%)
Shunosaurus (new)
10 (30.3%)
Xinjiangtitan
7 (21.2%)
Any large titanosaur (deluxe 1:35/1:40 scale)
12 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Sim

This is the poll I look forward to the most.  CollectA's recent sauropod figures have been the best I've ever seen and I'm very interested in more from them!

Stegotyranno420

While most of my picks are doing decent, I am so happy to see Barosaurus do so well.
But do the voters have in mind the usual Barosaurus or the new found, extremely large specimen?

ceratopsian

I was thinking of the "iconic" (overused word!) rearing mounted specimen at the AMNH.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 08, 2023, 08:45:37 PMWhile most of my picks are doing decent, I am so happy to see Barosaurus do so well.
But do the voters have in mind the usual Barosaurus or the new found, extremely large specimen?

Sim

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 08, 2023, 08:45:37 PMWhile most of my picks are doing decent, I am so happy to see Barosaurus do so well.
I'm happy to see Barosaurus doing so well, and Plateosaurus too!  Where can I learn more about the extremely large specimen?  I was thinking of a "usual" Barosaurus.

Remko

Quote from: Sim on June 08, 2023, 10:19:13 PM
I'm happy to see Barosaurus doing so well, and Plateosaurus too!  Where can I learn more about the extremely large specimen?  I was thinking of a "usual" Barosaurus.

Search for "BYU 9024". That's the name of the specific vertebrae. Various sites have interesting articles about it.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Sim on June 08, 2023, 10:19:13 PM
I haveng been able to find much for now. Sometimes I heard it be called B.supremus but searches do not yield results. Essentially, this speciemen, while just a limb bone, displays a possibility of Barosaurus outsizing the previous largest dinosaur(Argentinosaurus) and maybe even outweighing it. While I am sure most people were thinking of the usual 20+ meter variety, in my mind I was picturing the 30-40 meter range type. Of course 20 meters(=inches) is good enough for me if they do make the figure :)
Personally
Diplodocids>Titanosaurs in my opinion

Perotorum

Although, an Alamosaurus figure would be nice, especially when considering the potential for displays alongside the plethora of many popular Maastrichtian dinosaurs that it co-existed with, also Magyarosaurus would be nice as well, as I feel as though there is a noticeable lack of Hatşeg fauna in figure form.

Jose S.M.

I would love any large sauropod if it's in scale with their recent ones. Imagine a herd of sauropods filling a shelf.

Gwangi

Quote from: Perotorum on June 08, 2023, 11:32:29 PMAlthough, an Alamosaurus figure would be nice, especially when considering the potential for displays alongside the plethora of many popular Maastrichtian dinosaurs that it co-existed with, also Magyarosaurus would be nice as well, as I feel as though there is a noticeable lack of Hatşeg fauna in figure form.

I didn't even think of Alamosaurus but I would love to have one in a large scale.

Paleo Flo

Amargasaurus, Brachiosaurus, Nigersaurus, Dicraeosaurus, Plateosaurus are to go
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Sim

On Wikipedia it says that giant vertebra was assigned to Supersaurus at a meeting.  It seems to me it's not clear whether it belongs to Supersaurus or Barosaurus...  I'll do some more searching for it soon hopefully.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 08, 2023, 10:23:56 PMPersonally
Diplodocids>Titanosaurs in my opinion
Oh my gosh yes!  I'm getting into diplodocids lately, they are interesting!  Titanosaurs bore me.  I was thinking of a Barosaurus with a length of 27m.

Quote from: Jose S.M. on June 08, 2023, 11:42:37 PMI would love any large sauropod if it's in scale with their recent ones. Imagine a herd of sauropods filling a shelf.
Although CollectA says they are 1:100 scale, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres estimates the Mamenchisaurus to be about 1:35-1:40 and the Ruyangosaurus to be about 1:50.  CollectA could make a Barosaurus they say is 1:100, perhaps if using the fragments that suggest an over 40m individual but have it be 1:40 scale for a more usual 27m individual, perhaps?

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Sim @Sim my apologies it was a vertebrae not a limb bone. But yes while I do think titanosaurs are awesome and epic(in the original sense of those terms), my gut feeling tells me the late Jurassic was the peak and golden age of Dinosaurs.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on June 09, 2023, 05:34:51 PMI was thinking of a Barosaurus with a length of 27m.

Barosaurus was probably longer than that. Molina-Pérez & Larramendi (2020) estimate Barosaurus lentus' holotype (YPM 429) to be 37 m long. If you don't believe that number, more conservative estimates put it close to 30 m long. Molina-Pérez & Larramendi (2020) also mention a possible Barosaurus (cf. Barosaurus lentus) specimen (BYU 9024) which they estimate at 45 m long. I think that may be the specimen (=vertebra lol) avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 was referring to.

I also like diplodocids more than titanosaurs. Diplodocoids in general are my favorite sauropods. I'm a bit tired of titanosaurs because of all the sudden attention they're receiving in recent years and because they aren't that well known (a bit like what happens with Spinosaurus). I still find some taxa interesting among them, like Ampelosaurus or Isisaurus, though. Curiously, I ended up voting for Barosaurus instead of Amargasaurus, which I didn't plan to, as I think it's a matter of time before PNSO updates their figure. If CollectA's going to be making huge sauropods just because, I think Barosaurus is one of the most worthy choices among them. Or at least I'd say it's a better choice than something like Ruyangosaurus (great figure, but kind of irrelevant taxon imo).

I'd encourage CollectA to keep releasing sauropods, they have gotten really good at them. Eofauna's are still my favorite sauropods, but it takes so long until they release each figure that it may be a while until their next one (and I'm totally anticipating their next sauropod to be a Brachiosaurus which I'm passing on as I don't plan to replace the great Carnegie 2012 one). So CollectA is the 2nd greatest sauropod toy maker around in my book.

Sim

I'm more inclined to believe the nearly 30m length estimate for Barosaurus's holotype than the 37m one.  It's interesting though, I didn't know it could reach such a length.  The vertebra you mention seems to come either from a Barosaurus or a Supersaurus.

Quote from: Concavenator on June 09, 2023, 10:11:16 PMI'm a bit tired of titanosaurs because of all the sudden attention they're receiving in recent years and because they aren't that well known
Same.  And I feel this way about azhdarchids too.

I think it's a matter of time until someone releases an up-to-date Amargasaurus.

Sim

I voted for:
1. Amargasaurus.  An accurate one doesn't exist.
2. Barosaurus.  I'm very happy this is proving very popular!  It would make an amazing figure!  So far CollectA's large sauropods have been one basal species (Mamenchisaurus) and one macronarian (Ruyangosaurus).  The only other main group that isn't represented is diplodocoids, Barosaurus would be a great representative of them!
3. Brontosaurus.  CollectA's current Brontosaurus has a pose and colouration that appeal to me, but it's too small for me.
4. Plateosaurus.  I'm very happy this is proving very popular too!  CollectA has the best Plateosaurus toy, but a better one is needed.
5. Shunosaurus.  I would really like a good figure of it!

Sim

Plateosaurus is in first place now!  It's the most requested prehistoric animal on the forum, someone has to make an excellent figure of it!

postsaurischian

As important as the forum is for some of us, it's not the hub of the universe.

Sim

Of course, you're right, I wasn't meaning anyone is obligated to make a Plateosaurus, I guess I expressed my thoughts in not a good way.  I just think because of how requested it is I have a feeling someone will make the Plateosaurus we would like, although I don't know who or why it hasn't happened already.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I get that everybody feels like the definitive Plateosaurus hasn't been made yet, but it IS still the one "prosauropod" that ever does seem to get made, so I would still prefer some other basal sauropodomorph, like Ledumahadi AKA "Thunderclap at Dawn".

Nice to see the weirdo Brachytrachelopan at third place currently, though!

stargatedalek

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: