News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prehistory Resurrection

Dan Surprise's unboxing and review of the latest Hammond Collection releases.

Carnoking

Just a heads up, not sure if it's been showing up elsewhere but I just saw the '93 Ray Arnold set at Target. The app has it scheduled for the 21st so it might still be locked. I didn't try since I'm traveling and couldn't transport it back with me.

Dilopho

Flaffy

Quote from: Dilopho on July 21, 2024, 12:33:02 AM

Missed opportunity to have it be in rubber too like the red rex :-[  Would've picked it up in a heartbeat otherwise.

Blade-of-the-Moon

New Spinosaurus is up at walmart.com and the Pyroraptor is up on Target.com

Prehistory Resurrection

New figure from a new line from Mattel revealed; Jurassic World Re-Imagined Legacy Collection Roarin' Real Feel "Demon" Kenner-like Carnotaurus;
After the Hammond Collection release and the Nanmu releases, it's one of the best Jurassic World Carnotaurus figures. If this is what the first offering from this new line from Mattel looks like, I can't wait to see what Mattel has more to reveal for this line.

Gwangi

After Mattel released the HC Carnotaurus I thought I was done with Carno figures. Think again! I'll have to get this one. I'm glad that this is the direction the JW Imagined line is taking.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's pretty nice and one I'll pic up if for nothing more than that nostalgic "Demon " feel. Should have tossed in his capture gear too.

I'm a bit confused about the line as this wasn't anywhere near what I was expecting and the descriptions don't help a ton either.

QuoteTarget exclusive. The fiercest dinos roar to life in this new collection featuring real-feel textures, roarin' sounds & retro-themed deco.

This statement sounds like it's a dino only line where we will get Kenner repaints? If that's true I'm not super thrilled about the removal of vehicles and accessories and of course no new humans.  JP/JW is around 90% dinos but you still need a human element to be Jurassic Park/World.

andrewsaurus rex

i like the paint scheme on the Demon Carno but i guess it's just a repaint of the Hammond one?   Still has the same problems of arms that are too big and horns that are too far back on the head.

Gwangi

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on July 24, 2024, 01:51:56 PMi like the paint scheme on the Demon Carno but i guess it's just a repaint of the Hammond one?   Still has the same problems of arms that are too big and horns that are too far back on the head.

It's not just a repaint. It has real feel skin and only the arms and legs are articulated. Also, really? The arms are too big and horns too far back? You're not expecting accuracy from your DEMON Carnotaurus, are you? Anyway, the arms are smaller than those on the HC toy which had articulated elbows. This one is only articulated at the shoulder. They're like those on the Action Attack and Control N' Conquer Carnotaurus. 

Flaffy

Everything the Young rex should've been and more!

Was a big fan of the real feel rex, so I'm definitely going to pick the Carnotaurus up. Especially since the Kenner Demon Carno was always out of my price range. Mattel has recreated the colour scheme perfectly, down to the white claws and green eyes! The fact that the entire head of the Carnotaurus is rubber too rather than hard plastic is a great touch, improves upon the previous "real feel" figure.

My only gripes would be the lack of red paint down the tip of the tail, as well as the unnecessary & distracting DNA flap on the leg.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's a neat figure and great that they're going in this direction. I can't stand the unnecessary scan codes, though. Is there a reason Mattel stopped putting them on the bottom of their feet?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dilopho

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 24, 2024, 02:39:40 PMIt's a neat figure and great that they're going in this direction. I can't stand the unnecessary scan codes, though. Is there a reason Mattel stopped putting them on the bottom of their feet?
Idk, maybe because the stickers were eroding

Prehistory Resurrection

Faelrin

I could not be more hyped. Glad we got a classic Kenner style Demon after all these years. And it has the better arms with no elbows. Release date is in November. A bit of a wait for sure, but can't wait to add this one to my Carno collection.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2024, 02:04:05 PMIt's not just a repaint. It has real feel skin and only the arms and legs are articulated. Also, really? The arms are too big and horns too far back? You're not expecting accuracy from your DEMON Carnotaurus, are you? Anyway, the arms are smaller than those on the HC toy which had articulated elbows. This one is only articulated at the shoulder. They're like those on the Action Attack and Control N' Conquer Carnotaurus. 

Now that i've seen better pics, i can see the arms are a lot smaller, which is good.  The in box picture of the figure looks nice.  As far as the accuracy and the horns....well, i guess i keep hopin'  lol.  The BOTM Carnotaurus is still so far away...

All the Mattel Carnos have horns that are too far back.....is that the way the Carno is designed in the JW world?

Flaffy

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on July 24, 2024, 05:23:10 PMAll the Mattel Carnos have horns that are too far back.....is that the way the Carno is designed in the JW world?

Yes. Funnily enough though, I feel that this "real feel" release has more scientifically accurate horn size and placement compared to the film design; and the very very screen-accurate Hammond Collection sculpt, which has appropriately puny and far-back horns consistent with what we see in JWFK.

The elbowless arms are a dead giveaway that this sculpt is not the same sculpt as the Hammond Collection version (which as avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi stated has screen-accurate but scientifically inaccurate elbowed arms). A feature that I personally prefer. I might be wrong, but I also feel that the teeth are enlarged on the rubber Carnotaurus. Perhaps a homage to the cartoonishly oversized teeth of its predecessor?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: