News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Life On Our Planet- New Paleo Docuseries coming to Netflix

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, August 22, 2023, 04:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edu

Elaborate on this, H @HD-man !
Seeing the charts in the paper on microeaptor flight by Naish, it seems that the sprawling position would get them further!
On the sexual dimorphism on Smilodon, i suppose we can't expect the level of accuracy and attention to detail present in PP.

HD-man

Quote from: edu on September 25, 2023, 09:57:52 PMElaborate on this, H @HD-man !
Seeing the charts in the paper on microeaptor flight by Naish, it seems that the sprawling position would get them further!

Hence why you should read the paper & not just look at the pics (don't worry, just giving you a hard time) ;) :P In any case, as pointed out in the paper...

QuoteWhen leaping from a height of 30 m, the sprawled-leg configuration shows an initially shallower glide path; however, it ultimately falls short of the distance covered by the anatomically more likely legs down configuration18,23, which reaches 40% farther.

QuoteOur model Microraptor was tested with all previously proposed leg configurations15–17, apart from the anatomically impossible, fully sprawled position16, as this would have been anatomically impossible19,23.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: HD-man on September 25, 2023, 10:25:46 PM
Quoteapart from the anatomically impossible, fully sprawled position16, as this would have been anatomically impossible19,23.
Gotta love a bit of humor in papers lol, this online def cracked me up!

edu

Quote from: HD-man on September 25, 2023, 10:25:46 PMHence why you should read the paper & not just look at the pics (don't worry, just giving you a hard time) ;) :P In any case, as pointed out in the paper...

Ooops! i've been really busy lately! 😬

Halichoeres

Quote from: Carnoking on August 22, 2023, 08:29:40 PMAlso, nice to see good ol' Spielberg hasn't washed his hands of dinosaurs just yet.

I interpret his involvement in this project as penance for the existence of Jurassic Park III.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 06, 2023, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on August 22, 2023, 08:29:40 PMAlso, nice to see good ol' Spielberg hasn't washed his hands of dinosaurs just yet.

I interpret his involvement in this project as penance for the existence of Jurassic Park III.
I understand why one would say the acting and plot was bad, but the designs are amongst the most memorable. We now realise how we took the Spinosaurus for granted when we have Indominoraptors flooding the internet  ;)

HD-man

Quote from: HD-man on September 25, 2023, 09:34:42 PMI'm especially looking forward to what may be a Deinonychus family at the end of the new trailer.

Good to know I was right ( https://twitter.com/raftingzalmoxes/status/1710155604952805561 ). I hope this means we finally get a post-RPR reconstruction of a Deino pack hunting Tenontosaurus.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Prehistory Resurrection

New trailer revealed, revealing more new prehistoric species.

bmathison1972

Oooo! And one a streaming service I have!! (unlike Apple TV which I don't)

Bread

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined...

https://youtu.be/J4ydTuem8Ls?si=nZqoULRPSY_w3uDm

Spoiler
JP Tyrannosaurus noises, an adult basically fully grown Triceratops running from a few juveniles and an adult Tyrannosaurus...

[close]

I'll probably skip out on segments like this and hold out hope for all the prehistoric animals that nearly never or ever receive screen time.

Carnoking

Yeahhhhhhh, I've had some doubts about this series for a while now and this did little to put my mind at ease.

the JP rex noises alone don't bother me, heck, even PP used a few, but the constant reuse of the same sound bites and overall mixing smacks of a cheap and rushed job to me.

Perhaps it was the result of a time or budgetary constraint or perhaps it's a nod to executive producer Spielberg. Regardless, it sure does leave a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to this show.

On the plus side, at least we get to see active predation of Tyrannosaurus rex against a Triceratops, and while employing  a distinct hunting tactic.

Primeval12

So I got to see an advanced screening of episode 6 at Yale. I liked the CGI elements a lot.
Spoiler
A lot of the show was modern animal footage/coverage. Only like 30-40% of it was prehistoric creatures. I hope the rest of the episodes focus more on the creatures.
[close]

I did like it though, and it was interesting to hear one of the scientists talk about it. Also, according to the scientist, some of the Jurassic Park/World rigs were used and re-sculpted with accurate designs. Very cool.

Giganotosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 06, 2023, 05:46:46 PM

Nah, JPIII is great fun, more so than The Lost World for sure.
I just watched both seasons of Prehistoric Planet last week, I am excited for this series as well.
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Primeval12 on October 24, 2023, 03:45:49 AM
Spoiler
A lot of the show was modern animal footage/coverage. Only like 30-40% of it was prehistoric creatures. I hope the rest of the episodes focus more on the creatures.
[close]

Spoiler
Had a look at the accompanying book and, while the text was mostly about extinct life, most of the images were of modern life and places.
[close]

Still excited to see it, how often do you see pre-Jurassic life in popular media? Plus Deinonychus, Sinraptor and Anchiornis.

Duna

Quote from: Bread on October 24, 2023, 02:24:35 AMMy disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined...

https://youtu.be/J4ydTuem8Ls?si=nZqoULRPSY_w3uDm

Hahahhahahahaa, Jurassic park tyrannosaurus noises and no one has realised that the T-rex youngsters also use VELOCIRAPTOR sounds??  :))

Dynomikegojira

So tomorrow then I'm excited yeah I have mixed feelings about the clips I've seen or some of the other choices I've heard about but I will definitely judge it by it's own merits

Dynomikegojira

Three episodes in so far I'll admit I'm underwhelmed by it it's decent but not necessarily what was advertised by the trailers depending on what you're looking for. Miles better than Alien Worlds though but a lot is missing in my opinion in just the first 3 episodes.

SRF

I've watched the first episode and I feel it's a bit of a letdown actually. The CGI isn't nearly in the same league as that of Prehistoric Planet and the way the episode is structured makes it a bit repetitive and boring. I'll watch the whole thing eventually but I've lowered my expectations already.
But today, I'm just being father

Joliezac

Just watched episode 1 and was disappointed. I wasn't expecting much since it didn't look nearly as good as Prehistoric Planet. The episode felt very repetitive and I felt like less than half of it even had dinosaurs. The T-Rex design was jarring. I did like the smilodons though. This just makes me want Prehistoric Planet to focus on the Pleistocene even more. I still want to watch the whole show but I'm a less motivated to now.

Einherjar

Five episodes in now, and I quite like it. At times I think it rivals Prehistoric Planets, at others, it falls woefully short.

The main problem I find with it is how it shifts between then and now. I really enjoy the look at past creatures, but every time they show some current day animals to demonstrate how something new evolved, I find myself zoning out. It's not that this stuff isn't interesting, but it's not why I'm here. I'm watching this show for the dinos and prehistoric creatures, not watching some tiny mammals in australia today.

I also really like a lot of the designs. It's not on the technical level of Prehistoric Planet, and a lot of it kinda has a soft cg feel to it, but sometimes it's really good.

I saw an interview Adam Savage did with one of the science guys who worked on it, and from that it seemed they worked really hard on getting the science right, so me not being a paleontologist and with that in mind, I find it really interesting how different the looks of the dinosaurs are to Prehistoric Kingdom. It just goes to show how similar, yet different the interpretations can be. And for that along I really find it enjoyable.

It all has a slight Jurassic Park feel to it, like JP dinos evolved to be accurate. I like it.

Also, there's more here. 8 episodes at 55 minutes, compared to PHs 6 epiosdes per season at barely 40.

But I really wish they'd tone down the current day animal stuff. There are dinosaurs here that are clearly modeled, rigged and animated, but they barely show. They just walk in the background and get no sense, no story, no nothing. And that's disappointing. A lot of unfulfilled potential in that regard.

That said, the cinematography is absolutely fantastic at times, and some of the direction is really engaging.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: