News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, November 03, 2023, 11:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's mostly a trick of the eye being drawn to the neck. The body easily outweighs the neck and the body from the chest to the tail is almost as long.

Quetzalcoatlus is a pain. I built one for the park and he had to have so much weight to counterbalance it. Ours was around 8' tall, I want to build a bigger one but I've no idea how to tackle it without welded steel. The real animal in no way weighed that much lol

Nyrorosaurus

New video by Everything Dinosaur on the Deluxe Velociraptor. Mike notes that the figure featured in the promo pics and the video is a prototype, and he expects the final released figure to fix the wrist wings and the undersized pubis.

Prehistory Resurrection

Sim

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on December 14, 2023, 02:42:35 AMNew video by Everything Dinosaur on the Deluxe Velociraptor. Mike notes that the figure featured in the promo pics and the video is a prototype, and he expects the final released figure to fix the wrist wings and the undersized pubis.

Thanks for sharing this!  I'm happy to hear the pubis will be fixed, and the video also explained other features were well tought out.  I'm looking forward to this figure now!  With regards to the question asked in the video, I said I would like CollectA to make the following feathered dinosaurs:

- Cryolophosaurus.  There are good figures of it, but they all lack feathers, feathers being expected on a theropod that lived in its cold ecosystem.
- Sinornithosaurus, Zhenyuanlong, Austroraptor.  Each has one toy version but they all fail to represent the animal well.  In the case of Sinornithosaurus and Austroraptor it's due to a lack of feathers, while for Zhenyuanlong its proportions are not entirely correct.
- Saurornithoides.  It was named in the same paper as Velociraptor and would go well with Velociraptor and Protoceratops figures as it coexisted with those two animals.  There's also a lack of good troodontid toys!
- Herrerasaurus, Eoraptor.  It could go either way with regards to whether they had feathers, but good figures of them would be much appreciated!

It's exciting that CollectA is making good feathered dinosaurs now!

stargatedalek

That Dearc is lovely! I'm not sure how close a match it is for this species specifically (should it not have a curved bill ala Rhamphorynchus?) but it could make a great stand in for a host of other options regardless.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2023, 11:59:29 PM(should it not have a curved bill ala Rhamphorynchus?)
No, Dearc's skull is a lot more like Dorygnathus. The sculpt is very close to what's known because there's quite a bit of the skeleton and the paleontologist who described it advised the sculpt.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on December 14, 2023, 07:54:59 PM- Cryolophosaurus.  There are good figures of it, but they all lack feathers, feathers being expected on a theropod that lived in its cold ecosystem.

I too would rather get a feathered Cryolophosaurus than a scaly one, also considering its basal position. Was Antarctica cold during the Early Jurassic though? It was in a northern position, and the climate wasn't as cold as today's.

I asked for Austroraptor, Halszkaraptor, Gallimimus and Sinosauropteryx, BTW.

Sim

Although Antarctica was warmer in the Jurassic, coastal areas would go a little below freezing while inland the temperature was even colder.

Flaffy

Bit too small, sculpt doesn't look great. Other than the more complex paint job, it really feels like a downgrade from their Lythronax from almost a decade ago IMO.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Flaffy on December 17, 2023, 03:11:35 PMBit too small, sculpt doesn't look great. Other than the more complex paint job, it really feels like a downgrade from their Lythronax from almost a decade ago IMO.

Funny, this will be my first CollectA theropod. I never liked CollectA's theropods for the most part (the style just doesn't appeal to), but I like the detail of the feathers and the paint job (but it still has that stupid CollectA tyrannosaur look to its face LOL).

Sim

I was planning to get this Nanuqsaurus, but now I see it's a bit too small for me.  I don't know why CollectA makes some figures huge like their new Polacanthus and their Stegouros, but then others so small like this Nanuqsaurus...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on December 17, 2023, 05:05:49 PMI was planning to get this Nanuqsaurus, but now I see it's a bit too small for me.  I don't know why CollectA makes some figures huge like their new Polacanthus and their Stegouros, but then others so small like this Nanuqsaurus...

Seems like some of the smallest ones usually get the Deluxe treatment?  Honestly I'm not buying much CollectA anymore unless it's a Deluxe.

bmathison1972

postsaurischian

Sauropods was probably the most unfortunate choice for a new tube set :-\ .

I'm just waiting for the Placerias :) .

Halichoeres

Damn, I thought the Dearc would release alongside the Dreadnoughtus.

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 25, 2024, 02:56:08 PMSauropods was probably the most unfortunate choice for a new tube set :-\ .

Yeah, that's the last group I want in miniature. Should've been pterosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

They could be used as sauropodlets
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Halichoeres

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 25, 2024, 04:47:51 PMThey could be used as sauropodlets

I suppose so, with some paint and an X-Acto knife.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 25, 2024, 03:43:50 PMDamn, I thought the Dearc would release alongside the Dreadnoughtus.

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 25, 2024, 02:56:08 PMSauropods was probably the most unfortunate choice for a new tube set :-\ .

Yeah, that's the last group I want in miniature. Should've been pterosaurs.

I agree, though I probably will still use a few of them for this purpose:

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 25, 2024, 04:47:51 PMThey could be used as sauropodlets

The riduculously frumpy Collecta Nigersaurus certainly feel better proportioned if taken as a sauropodlet, at the very least.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 17, 2023, 04:58:15 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on December 17, 2023, 03:11:35 PMBit too small, sculpt doesn't look great. Other than the more complex paint job, it really feels like a downgrade from their Lythronax from almost a decade ago IMO.

Funny, this will be my first CollectA theropod. I never liked CollectA's theropods for the most part (the style just doesn't appeal to), but I like the detail of the feathers and the paint job (but it still has that stupid CollectA tyrannosaur look to its face LOL).

It's 1:35-ish, isn't? Nanuqsaurus is a dwarf tyrannosaur, so I appreciate the small size.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: