News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2024

Started by bmathison1972, November 16, 2023, 08:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

Glad Mr Seo did this! Also I think he did the other dragon for this year, I hope we will have pics of that too. But I hope Mr Seo will overseer dinosaurs, last year he did a great job with mosa, krono, wyvern and dreki.I hope more figures will be made by him in the future!
Like Takama said: Ampelo gave me vibes of schleich barapasaurus. These looks too different from other papo figures we had. We have 3 sculptors: Mr Seo, protoceratops ones and the other who did ampelo, einio, conca, amarga and polacanthus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SpartanSquat on January 31, 2024, 03:31:28 AMGlad Mr Seo did this! Also I think he did the other dragon for this year, I hope we will have pics of that too. But I hope Mr Seo will overseer dinosaurs, last year he did a great job with mosa, krono, wyvern and dreki.I hope more figures will be made by him in the future!
Like Takama said: Ampelo gave me vibes of schleich barapasaurus. These looks too different from other papo figures we had. We have 3 sculptors: Mr Seo, protoceratops ones and the other who did ampelo, einio, conca, amarga and polacanthus.

The spinosaur is the best obviously, the Corythosaurus the most lacking of the three. The Ampelo seems like a cross between the two.

Lynx

They let the Kronosaurus sculptor cook again
An oversized house cat.

Paleo Flo

Hallo Papo...is that you? :o

Or is it PNSO in disguise?

Hope for Papo that it will be cost less than the PNSO Suchomimus.
Otherwise the collectors will go with the PNSO counterpart.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Concavenator

Quote from: Gwangi on January 31, 2024, 01:22:08 AMThis is perhaps Papo's best dinosaur ever. I struggle to think of a better one.

Same thoughts. This may arguably even be the best prehistoric animal figure they've ever made altogether.

Here's to hoping it will clearly outsell the others so that Papo will realize this is the sort of quality we want to see from them. If they keep it up, they definitely have a place in the market.

SidB

Quote from: Paleo Flo on January 31, 2024, 01:03:27 PMHallo Papo...is that you? :o

Or is it PNSO in disguise?

Hope for Papo that it will be cost less than the PNSO Suchomimus.
Otherwise the collectors will go with the PNSO counterpart.
This seems like a really nice piece, but I already have the  PNSO figure, which may be enough for me.

Jose S.M.

That looks great! I don't love the pose but it doesn't look that bad either. And the coloration looks pretty nice.

Sim

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 31, 2024, 02:04:24 AMI'm also feeling it's a sort of Sucho/Baryonyx hybrid?  The skull almost looks thin enough but the body is lacking a higher spine from the looks of it.
It looks fine to me compared to the recent Suchomimus skeletal by Sereno et al..

Quote from: SpartanSquat on January 31, 2024, 03:31:28 AMGlad Mr Seo did this! Also I think he did the other dragon for this year, I hope we will have pics of that too. But I hope Mr Seo will overseer dinosaurs, last year he did a great job with mosa, krono, wyvern and dreki.I hope more figures will be made by him in the future!
I think the Protoceratops and Concavenator were made by the same sculptor, they both have those weird tile-like plates.

Regarding Papo's Suchomimus, I like it a lot!  I too hope the sculptor who made it makes more prehistoric animals for Papo!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on January 31, 2024, 05:12:48 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 31, 2024, 02:04:24 AMI'm also feeling it's a sort of Sucho/Baryonyx hybrid?  The skull almost looks thin enough but the body is lacking a higher spine from the looks of it.
It looks fine to me compared to the recent Suchomimus skeletal by Sereno et al..

Got a pic or link?

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on January 31, 2024, 02:05:02 PMThis seems like a really nice piece, but I already have the  PNSO figure, which may be enough for me.

Similar thoughts here as well. Moreover I highly doubt the final product will retain the intricate paint scheme of the prototype, as mentioned by avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin regarding the paint downgrade seen in the 2019 Spinosaurus.

Though that being said, Suchomimus is my favourite spinosaurid. I might just make an exception for this figure to encourage Papo's potential return to glory. They really need to ditch the Schleich-copycat sculptor responsible for the Concavenator & Protoceratops.

The Ampelosaurus on the other hand looks incredibly amateurish by comparison. Really not a fan of the skin detailing for this one.

Brocc21

Papo cooked. Enough said.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on February 01, 2024, 01:01:38 AM
Quote from: SidB on January 31, 2024, 02:05:02 PMThis seems like a really nice piece, but I already have the  PNSO figure, which may be enough for me.

The Ampelosaurus on the other hand looks incredibly amateurish by comparison. Really not a fan of the skin detailing for this one.

I kinda like the Corythosaurus here, it has grown on me. It seems to have a classic Papo feel, to me at least. The pose is reminiscent of their Styracosaurus, Chilesaurus and Quetzalcoatlus - quite a bit of dynamism baked into the figure.

PrimevalRaptor

Yeah the skin detailing on the Ampelosaurus looks a bit odd, not too huge on it. And I also agree, the Corythosaurus isn't /incredible/ but it looks pretty neat (and I'm a bit surprised how small it is)

thomasw100

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on February 01, 2024, 11:49:18 AMYeah the skin detailing on the Ampelosaurus looks a bit odd, not too huge on it. And I also agree, the Corythosaurus isn't /incredible/ but it looks pretty neat (and I'm a bit surprised how small it is)

Why would anyone want this weird Papo Ampelosaurus (which by the way has an incorrect thumb claw) considering that there is the so much better Haolonggood version?

thomasw100

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 01, 2024, 11:53:32 AM
Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on February 01, 2024, 11:49:18 AMYeah the skin detailing on the Ampelosaurus looks a bit odd, not too huge on it. And I also agree, the Corythosaurus isn't /incredible/ but it looks pretty neat (and I'm a bit surprised how small it is)

Why would anyone want this weird Papo Ampelosaurus (which by the way has an incorrect thumb claw) considering that there is the so much better Haolonggood version? The Suchomimus is a different story. This one looks really nice.

Jose S.M.

Ampelosaurus sculpt looks similar to their Concavenator to me. It has the same overly crisp scales and very abrupt changes between the different textures.

Sim

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on February 01, 2024, 01:56:23 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 01, 2024, 12:20:01 AMGot a pic or link?
  (Image source)

Thanks, I was finding mostly older skeletals.

Comparing to this image of the back :

It looks like they used the iguana like spines ( which I do like) to make up the extra height of the actual spines. As it is it looks more like a Baryonyx's spine which is shorter to non-existant.

DrunkAnteosaurus

That short sucho is making me think papo is getting back into it's game, just wish they would've thickened him up some. His signature spine has been removed  :'(
New to paleoart and sculpting, but really trying to learn more! If you have any requests lmk!

Concavenator

I don't have a Suchomimus yet, and honestly, I'm torn between PNSO's and Papo's (yes, I will only get 1). Technically, I consider PNSO's the more accurate of the two, but just because it has that short tongue that it's typical to see in current spinosaurid reconstructions (as seen in Dino Hazard's Irritator, Mesozoic Life's Spinosaurus, PNSO's Suchomimus and 2023 Spinosaurus, not sure if the 2020 one too). I don't know what support there is for that (I tried looking it up, but I found nothing). In any case, if displayed with its mouth closed, this detail can go unnoticed in Papo's figure. Not that I think it's a very relevant detail, either, but as always, worth-mentioning.  ;)

I thought the PNSO Suchomimus had slightly better proportions than Papo's because, to me, it looks like it resembles Folkes' 2023 skeletal more closely:

But this is just me eyeballing, so it's subjective and I might be wrong. There's also the possibility I see such a resemblance because of the pose of the PNSO figure, more similar to Folkes' skeletal than Papo's more dramatically posed figure. Papo's version to me resembles Sereno's 2022 skeletal, as avatar_Sim @Sim pointed out.

I don't see any problem with the way the neural spines are reconstructed in Papo's figure. I'd say the "sail" is still there. Sure, not very apparent, but the "sail" in Suchomimus isn't too apparent either.

At this point, it's sort of a miracle that I'm considering getting a Papo figure, but because of that, and because I consider PNSO's and Papo's versions roughly equal, I might even go for Papo's version in this case. I like having a variety of companies represented in my collection and Papo is literally at the brink of extinction there (I only have 1 figure of theirs, the Megaloceros, and I might replace it). I also feel inclined to simply reward Papo for actually doing a (pretty) good job for once. PNSO on the other hand there's obviously more stuff I'm interested in.

Hard choice TBH. At least, I'm glad Suchomimus has received some quality attention as of late with both PNSO's and Papo's versions, after so many years of being neglected. It's the spinosaurid with the best remains, and everyone keeps making Spinosaurus figures and even figures of the most fragmentary ones. CollectA Ceratosuchops? PNSO Sinopliosaurus (not even a real dinosaur)? Indeterminate Spinosauridae (Qualia)? Really?

I think I'll wait until I see what Papo has to offer for next year and see if there's anything that piques my interest. In case there is, I might go for PNSO's version. But if not, I might even get the Papo, which is surprisingly good, and it's very similar to the PNSO anyways I'd say. Didn't think I'd say this, but after this Suchomimus, I am looking forward to see what Papo's releases for next year look like! Just in case they feel like doing a great job again, if at least for one piece.

As I said, it's crazy that I'm considering a Papo figure haha

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: