News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2024

Started by bmathison1972, November 16, 2023, 08:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prehistory Resurrection

avatar_JimoAi @JimoAi I posted the images here, from Paleofiguras' Facebook page.

Nanuqsaurus

Is it just me or does the Suchomimus look more like a computer render than the actual figure?

Quiversaurus

Wow, these entries actually look pretty solid! The Corythosaurus looks indeed like classic Papo, and the Suchomimus reminds me of HLG, even. I really like the dynamism in these poses. The Ampelosaurus looks good, but has been overshadowed...

Bread

These actually look pretty good!

I am just surprised they did not go the JP-copy route for the Corythosaurus. Now would have that been better or worse? I feel like some have been waiting for that to be done for a while now.

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on November 17, 2023, 10:55:48 AMIs it just me or does the Suchomimus look more like a computer render than the actual figure?
The Suchomimus indeed does look over saturated as compared to the other two. Edit: It's a render, not the final product, hence explaining the over saturation.

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: Bread on November 17, 2023, 11:16:20 AMThese actually look pretty good!

I am just surprised they did not go the JP-copy route for the Corythosaurus. Now would have that been better or worse? I feel like some have been waiting for that to be done for a while now.
It seems that Papo has stopped going the JP route. I think the last JP inspired figure they made was their Compsognathus. They didn't base themselves on the Jurassic World models when making their recent Stigymoloch and Mosasaurus but rather opted for scientific accuracy. Even the Ceratosaurus wasn't based on its JP3 appearance. I guess if they make a Gallimimus in the future for example or other movie canon species, they won't be based on their movie counterparts anymore. Now that I recall, even their Dilophosaurus isn't JP based. But I think on the other hand it's refreshing to see scientific accuracy and breaking from movie appearances.

Concavenator

The Suchomimus looks surprisingly good for a Papo figure! Reminds me of the older Papo, and it totally does not remind me of the Papo we've gotten used to in recent years. But *sigh* I wish companies realized when there's a need for a certain species in the market and when there isn't. We no longer needed a Suchomimus after PNSO's version.

The Corythosaurus and the Ampelosaurus don't look good. Could've been worse though, considering some of Papo's recent figures.

At least this year has one good figure, that's an achievement I guess. This is the current Papo after all.

Jose S.M.

It's a bit sad the Ampelosaurus follows a reconstruction that I don't think it's accepted now. And I don't really like the Corythosaurus either but Suchomimus looks nice although it looks like a render to me too but that might be due the quality of the picture.

Chasmosaurus

I realy like the ampelosaurus
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Bread

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on November 17, 2023, 11:30:36 AM
Quote from: Bread on November 17, 2023, 11:16:20 AMThese actually look pretty good!

It seems that Papo has stopped going the JP route. I think the last JP inspired figure they made was their Compsognathus. They didn't base themselves on the Jurassic World models when making their recent Stigymoloch and Mosasaurus but rather opted for scientific accuracy. Even the Ceratosaurus wasn't based on its JP3 appearance. I guess if they make a Gallimimus in the future for example or other movie canon species, they won't be based on their movie counterparts anymore. Now that I recall, even their Dilophosaurus isn't JP based. But I think on the other hand it's refreshing to see scientific accuracy and breaking from movie appearances.
I wouldn't say "scientific accuracy" but more so bringing out their creativity. Since some of their JP models are actually closer to real life depictions than some of their non-JP dinosaurs.

Gwangi

A nice return to form from Papo, these are all much better than the dinosaurs we've gotten over the last few years. I might actually pick up the Ampelosaurus and/or Suchomimus!

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on November 17, 2023, 09:28:21 AM
Ampelosaurus

Funny that this is literally the third Ampelosaurus figure based on some version of this public domain art from Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AmpelosaurusDB.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Spoiler

[close]

SidB

I'm particularly liking the Suchomimus, though I'm not sure that it could replace my one from PNSO. Will wait for higher res images.

Tracewyrm!

Another image from Paleofiguras. Not a new figure but looks like a playset.Landscape with a tree, a volcano, a pond and a cave? Assuming the figures are part of the set, it will come with:

-Dimetrodon
-Archeopteryx
-Mosasaurus
-Pentaceratops
-Green Running T. rex

Not really a new figure, just a bundle of previously released models, but it doesn't hurt to be thorough!

* (It's locked.)

Lynx

I'd call this a return to Papo's glory days, all the figures look great! The suchomimus is the highlight of the bunch and probably one of the best figures on the market for it, if the leak is real.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

I have seen this on threads from HLG to Safari LTD, but what's with the whole 'thing being disappointing' because another company also released the same species/genus? PNSO especially, which is way more expensive and arguably poor for children. Companies make these sculpts months ahead of time. There is more than a need for certain species even if a good model already exists. It never hurts, and most of the time is more affordable for people if there are more options on the market.

Quote from: Concavenator on November 17, 2023, 11:36:40 AMThe Suchomimus looks surprisingly good for a Papo figure! Reminds me of the older Papo, and it totally does not remind me of the Papo we've gotten used to in recent years. But *sigh* I wish companies realized when there's a need for a certain species in the market and when there isn't. We no longer needed a Suchomimus after PNSO's version.
An oversized house cat.

PrimevalRaptor

Yeah I think it's nice to have multiple Suchomimus out there, sure Papo isn't the cheapest option but they are still cheaper than PNSO. Plus more options mean...well, more options to choose from which is nice and Suchomimus isn't as saturated on the market as T.rex or some other big shot.
Those DO seem pretty good, excited for clearer images. Suchomimus is definitely the standout here (even if it looks like it may end up having balancing issues with that pose), Corythosaurus looks great too even if I'd prefer some color on the crest (also I'm not sure how well the forelimbs fare but IIRC the hoof-like ones were only confirmed on Edmontosaurus so far).
Ampelosaurus is nice too, shame it may be an outdated osteoderm arrangement but it's nice that Papo is tackling a local species.

Tracewyrm!

I really wasn't expecting to like the Corythosaurus this much! It's not entirely accurate as far as I know, but I really like the sculpt! Of course this is all based on a very low res image and this could all be subject to change, but it kind of reminds me of how hadrosaurs were shown in Prehistoric Planet, as far as aesthetics and overall shapes go.

I'm gonna refrain from giving too much of an opinion on the Suchomimus yet, seeing how it doesn't even seem to be a physical prototype yet, but if the render is anything to go by, I'm optimistic!
* (It's locked.)

Gwangi

Quote from: Lynx on November 17, 2023, 01:29:26 PMI have seen this on threads from HLG to Safari LTD, but what's with the whole 'thing being disappointing' because another company also released the same species/genus? PNSO especially, which is way more expensive and arguably poor for children. Companies make these sculpts months ahead of time. There is more than a need for certain species even if a good model already exists. It never hurts, and most of the time is more affordable for people if there are more options on the market.

Quote from: Concavenator on November 17, 2023, 11:36:40 AMThe Suchomimus looks surprisingly good for a Papo figure! Reminds me of the older Papo, and it totally does not remind me of the Papo we've gotten used to in recent years. But *sigh* I wish companies realized when there's a need for a certain species in the market and when there isn't. We no longer needed a Suchomimus after PNSO's version.

I completely agree. Options are nice. And not everyone only collects one of something, some people will want multiple figures of the same animal and enjoy the variety of styles applied to the same animal by different companies. It's absurd to think that a company shouldn't bother making something just because another company, in a different part of the world, appealing to a different demographic, already did.

suspsy

I'm going to wait until bigger and betters images become available before making an announcement on the blog.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: