News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Eofauna Scientific Research - New for 2024

Started by Concavenator, December 04, 2023, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Will your modified version have a static jaw position that you prefer, then? I expect that would be the most practical workaround.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

What everybody thinks about the colouration of this Tyrannosaurus figure? I think T.rex would have dark skinned coloration as we have seen in Prehistoric Planet or the Saurian 2018 version, might not have such vibrant greenish yellow. Although we do know very little about this issue. Share your opinions. 

Cpt Red 3eard

I like that this figure has lips, but that's about it. In just about every other category, PNSO's Cameron takes the cake. I can't get over the very strange jaw articulation on this figure. I'd have to see it in person to judge it better, but it looks bizarre in the images I've seen.

I like the colors, but not on a T. rex.

shahinos

GojiraGuy1954

I think i'll wait for PNSO's lipped version
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Dinoguy2

Looks great. I love the color and all the soft-tissue/keratin detailing on the head. The jaw articulation is odd, but I don't know how else they'd handle it while keeping a bird-like rather than croc-like oral tissue configuration (really the only thing that makes sense and avoids the weird JP style zig-zag at the corner of the mouth. Other than just not having jaw articulation, which I'd have preferred. I was going to wait for the inevitable PNSO update to T. rex but I think I'll probably get this one.

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on April 04, 2024, 06:35:13 PMWhat everybody thinks about the colouration of this Tyrannosaurus figure? I think T.rex would have dark skinned coloration as we have seen in Prehistoric Planet or the Saurian 2018 version, might not have such vibrant greenish yellow. Although we do know very little about this issue. Share your opinions. 

Andrea Cau recently posted a very convincing argument based on the science of how different types of animals perceive color that T. rex was most likely mottled green. Yellow is close enough for me (and obviously that "study" was not taken into account by Eofauna).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gwangi

The coloration looks convincing to me. Looks like it would blend in well in a shadowy, sun-dappled Hell Creek forest. The patterning breaks up the image of the animal. Something more solid in color, like PNSO's brown theropods, look less convincing to me. A gigantic brown mass in a forest is going to stand out. Think about wearing camo, there's a reason it's not a solid color.

It reminds me of a monitor lizard, which is a good thing.

edu

The jaw articulation is strange, but, overall, i like this t-rex. Coloration, skin texture, pose... and it brings something different to the market. On the other hand, Eofauna is a company that i am specially willing to support. It's a couple of guys in a far away country from the production center making excellent and affordable figures. Those proboscideans! I want them to keep going, so their products are a must for me.

ceratopsian

I'm much more impressed on seeing it "in the round" on the DinosDragons video than seeing it in various stills. I already liked the colours very much. I confess I'm weakening! 

Carnoking

Quote from: edu on April 05, 2024, 04:58:53 PMThe jaw articulation is strange, but, overall, i like this t-rex. Coloration, skin texture, pose... and it brings something different to the market. On the other hand, Eofauna is a company that i am specially willing to support. It's a couple of guys in a far away country from the production center making excellent and affordable figures. Those proboscideans! I want them to keep going, so their products are a must for me.

I agree with this sentiment.

I've somewhat cooled on the figure overall thanks in no small part to the odd jaw articulation but when you remember that Eofauna aren't strictly a model production company and that these figures are a "side hustle" to help fund their other work, it makes it easier to look past the flaws.

SidB

Quote from: Carnoking on April 05, 2024, 06:11:52 PM
Quote from: edu on April 05, 2024, 04:58:53 PMThe jaw articulation is strange, but, overall, i like this t-rex. Coloration, skin texture, pose... and it brings something different to the market. On the other hand, Eofauna is a company that i am specially willing to support. It's a couple of guys in a far away country from the production center making excellent and affordable figures. Those proboscideans! I want them to keep going, so their products are a must for me.

I agree with this sentiment.

I've somewhat cooled on the figure overall thanks in no small part to the odd jaw articulation but when you remember that Eofauna aren't strictly a model production company and that these figures are a "side hustle" to help fund their other work, it makes it easier to look past the flaws.
I totally agree with and support this affirmative approach. It is a most refreshing respite from the hypercritcal approach. The glass is almost full, rather than somewhat empty.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 05, 2024, 05:56:25 PMI'm much more impressed on seeing it "in the round" on the DinosDragons video than seeing it in various stills. I already liked the colours very much. I confess I'm weakening! 

I feel the same way. The images floating around really didn't do the figure justice. I didn't like it at first because of the base and stance, but the colours grew on me, and after the video review I appreciate the jaw articulation and the stance/pose much more - it feels more natural in-hand compared to photos.

I think Eofauna were smart to keep the colours in the head darker, so that the seams are not so obvious. The overbite point that came up earlier in this thread also doesn't seem to be as egregious in DinosDragons' review, which made me quite delighted.

Tempted to get it for myself since it looks so good next to Wilson too.

Concavenator

A question for anyone who has/gets the Tyrannosaurus:

Whose PNSO figure's acrylic rod work with it?

When I get it, I don't intend to use the base, and I'd rather have it leaning on a stand than leaving it unaided.

Torvosaurus

I actually like the articulation of the jaw. I'm not much on articulation as a whole and prefer unarticulated models, but this one actually appeals to me.

Torvo

SRF

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator each PNSO figure tends to have a unique rod, so it'll be a bit trial and error I think. Rods of different sizes would fit underneath different parts of Eofaunas model.

Also it depends on which PNSO figures you own yourself of course.
But today, I'm just being father

Ludodactylus

I think aesthetically I'm not in love with the way the snout curves upwards, but I trust Eofauna to have done their due diligence and that it's a reasonable feature. This might be the tyrannosaurus for me.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Concavenator

Quote from: SRF on April 22, 2024, 07:00:44 AMavatar_Concavenator @Concavenator each PNSO figure tends to have a unique rod, so it'll be a bit trial and error I think. Rods of different sizes would fit underneath different parts of Eofaunas model.

Also it depends on which PNSO figures you own yourself of course.

I would be fine with getting to know if the rod of a single figure would work anywhere on Eofauna's figure.

And currently, as far as PNSO bipeds are concerned, I only own the Pachycephalosaurus, whose stand I doubt will work for the larger Eofauna Tyrannosaurus. And I do have several PNSO theropods in my wishlist too, but the acrylic rods I intend to use with their original PNSO figures. Instead, I was thinking of asking PNSO to include the acrylic rod of a given figure (that I would know its stand would work with Eofauna's T. rex) with my order the next time I order something from them.

Bread

Y'all know I had to share this awesome custom by dinosaur_models_artworks:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: