News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Eofauna Scientific Research - New for 2024

Started by Concavenator, December 04, 2023, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: suspsy on June 27, 2024, 12:48:13 PMI've really never cared what he thinks.

:))

If I'm being completely honest, I mostly mute the volume on reviews and that goes for all the guys posting reviews, sorry guys, I mostly just want to see the figures.  To me the video is what matters the most.  I prefer looking at the figure in hand in good lighting but when you're trying to make a purchase decision video is still really helpful and some of these guys have nice camera and lighting set ups.  You can really enjoy the details and the craftsmanship of the sculpts and then decide for myself on whether to part with my money.

My opinion on this figure is unchanged, I feel that it brings something different to the table, the mouth and teeth issues are overstated IMO, I think the sculpting inside there makes so much sense especially with all the images of how you can barely see the teeth on Komodo Dragons even though they are really long...Sue looks like she's in the process of replacing some and some are just coming in after having fallen off, IDK, not a scientist but it just looks like it was very well thought out, as for the bluntness of the teeth and the claws, PNSO makes razor sharp stuff that's realistic but not very child friendly.  I think Eofauna is still thinking about children with their sculpts, a child can safely handle this figure without getting hurt.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SidB on June 27, 2024, 12:09:45 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 27, 2024, 04:26:44 AM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 27, 2024, 03:25:50 AMDamn..and people thought i was harsh on Haolonggood Diabloceratops.  ;D 

I don't agree with some of things in the review but i really appreciated he is honest with his opinions and not just over the moon about it. Sometimes i feel like reviewers are just trying to be too cute for companies & potential buyers.

I like different jaw articulation probably best part of the toy. I don't mind a small seam, i find it odd why it's a big deal it's not like action toy seam. I don't mind the colors , actually i kinda like it's different but i dislike paint work, it's not smooth like PNSO or some HLG stuff. It's relatively cheap for such a good sculpt.

I don't know if i'm gonna buy it but if i buy i might try to improve paint (maybe even re-paint) because i feel like sculpt has even greater potential. Andy does great paintwork so i hope he repaints this at some point.

I was a bit surprised by Andy's review too...he's usually super positive in all his reviews, I don't have to agree with this particular review, but I'm still a huge fan of his reviews...
Yeah, I am more than a bit surprised by this new tone in his review. That said, the point made about the seam atthe rear of the skull is valid. I am a fan of the paint work, the detailing. the stability, etc., but not that seam. I'm thinking of sending my figure, or perhaps a second one, to Bravo Models to get that seam removed. If I get the second one, along with the seam, I might just get the articulated jaw done way with too and have the figure with a permanently closed mouth, seamless. I'll see, once the initial order gets in from Dejankins.

I also have a second one coming in the mail.  But I planned to do that from the beginning because I wanted to have one to mess around with repaint wise.  I've done this before, but usually I wait until the second one comes before deciding which one has the better factory applied paint and then I repaint the one I thought was inferior.  This time I couldn't wait for the second one to come in the mail, LOL! 

Gwangi

Seeing the Eofauna rex compared to Wilson, I don't understand how everyone was over the moon for Wilson but so lukewarm on Eofauna. To me, it is a vastly superior figure. And I like it more than Kiss too, which makes it the best lipped T. rex available in my opinion.

Concerns about the seam and articulation are valid and are also my biggest concerns but I like everything else about it. Honestly, I think people are being hard on it because it deviates so far from what their mental image of T. rex is. Lets face it, the influence of Jurassic Park's T. rex design is far reaching. Even the accurate models by PNSO or Rebor are still taking cues from it. Eofauna basically reinvents the look of T. rex with this one, giving it a varanid-like quality that people aren't used to. But there's nothing inaccurate about it, it's just different.

Example. The teeth might be a bit blunt but they aren't too small. They're concealed within the gum tissue. Check out the crocodile monitor skull and compare it with the living animal. Huge teeth, can't barely see them with the mouth open.

Looking at that, and then looking at Wilson, it makes Wilson look absolutely absurd. The varanid influence is clear on the Eofauna T. rex, from the head sculpt to the coloration. And as terrestrial predatory reptiles, varanids are a good source to draw inspiration from.  Models like this get people thinking and challenges our perception of these animals.

bmathison1972

...meanwhile I am still 100% satisfied with the Safari 2017 feathered and lipless rex! That's right! Guess I like to live dangerously  :P  [hahaha]

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Gwangi on June 27, 2024, 01:58:05 PMSeeing the Eofauna rex compared to Wilson, I don't understand how everyone was over the moon for Wilson but so lukewarm on Eofauna. To me, it is a vastly superior figure. And I like it more than Kiss too, which makes it the best lipped T. rex available in my opinion.

Concerns about the seam and articulation are valid and are also my biggest concerns but I like everything else about it. Honestly, I think people are being hard on it because it deviates so far from what their mental image of T. rex is. Lets face it, the influence of Jurassic Park's T. rex design is far reaching. Even the accurate models by PNSO or Rebor are still taking cues from it. Eofauna basically reinvents the look of T. rex with this one, giving it a varanid-like quality that people aren't used to. But there's nothing inaccurate about it, it's just different.

Example. The teeth might be a bit blunt but they aren't too small. They're concealed within the gum tissue. Check out the crocodile monitor skull and compare it with the living animal. Huge teeth, can't barely see them with the mouth open.

Looking at that, and then looking at Wilson, it makes Wilson look absolutely absurd. The varanid influence is clear on the Eofauna T. rex, from the head sculpt to the coloration. And as terrestrial predatory reptiles, varanids are a good source to draw inspiration from.  Models like this get people thinking and challenges our perception of these animals.

nice post!  Yes, this one is definitely not about the popular movie monsters and yet it's probably every bit as terrifying.  For people that've already decided not to buy one of these?  Please do yourself a favor and find out where you can see one in person.                                                                                                                                                       

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 27, 2024, 01:07:27 PMAlthough I watch some of his reviews, the review channel I trust the most is Dinos Dragons. Dinos Dragons seems always fair and balanced and the scientific background that he provides is so useful. I do always learn something new and even more importantly I am provided with an entry point into the vast peer-reviewed paleontological literature on a subject.

I agree DinosDragons channel is the best for information. I think Andy and others give more of a quality review than accuracy. I doubt they have depth enough to recognize minor scientific inaccuracy. Although Andy usually gets all variants of a model so it's great channel just for that. Also he reviews even some bootleg dinosaurs :D

DinosDragons also shouldn't taken as absolute truth. I always watch PNSO official channel for their products because creator explains some of things called "inaccurate" in reviews.

For example dinodragons convinced me Iguanodon isn't definitive one because it's head inaccurate, it looks elongated and not boxy enough but Official channel  explains it with photos.

Kind of like how lipless or cheekless might considered "innacurate" in reviews but sometimes creators are aware of it but just don't find it convincing.

That's the fun and pain of chasing scientifically accurate dinosaurs though. It's actually more exciting than collecting movie or awesomebro dinosaurs.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 27, 2024, 03:28:22 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on June 27, 2024, 01:07:27 PMAlthough I watch some of his reviews, the review channel I trust the most is Dinos Dragons. Dinos Dragons seems always fair and balanced and the scientific background that he provides is so useful. I do always learn something new and even more importantly I am provided with an entry point into the vast peer-reviewed paleontological literature on a subject.

I agree DinosDragons channel is the best for information. I think Andy and others give more of a quality review than accuracy. I doubt they have depth enough to recognize minor scientific inaccuracy. Although Andy usually gets all variants of a model so it's great channel just for that. Also he reviews even some bootleg dinosaurs :D

DinosDragons also shouldn't taken as absolute truth. I always watch PNSO official channel for their products because creator explains some of things called "inaccurate" in reviews.

For example dinodragons convinced me Iguanodon isn't definitive one because it's head inaccurate, it looks elongated and not boxy enough but Official channel  explains it with photos.

Kind of like how lipless or cheekless might considered "innacurate" in reviews but sometimes creators are aware of it but just don't find it convincing.

That's the fun and pain of chasing scientifically accurate dinosaurs though. It's actually more exciting than collecting movie or awesomebro dinosaurs.

My go to Reviewers are Dino Screams, Dinos Dragons, and Andy's, BUT like I said, I don't use the audio most of the time...Andy does a really good job of showing you the figure slowly from all angles and I really appreciate that considering that I mute him 90% of the time, Dino Scream I love because he uses the little rotating display thing and you can appreciate the entire figure from many different angles, again it's about the video, Dinos Dragons does the best comparison, not just the same figure over and over like Andy, Dinos Dragons carefully selects comparison figures that are relevant to the figure you want to see and he uses enough comparisons that you are likely to own one of the figures he compares them to...it's all about the videos for me but occasionally I listen to Dinos Dragons more than the other guys if only I could turn off the music and just listen to what he has to say, but hey, I'm just grateful that these guys take the time to create the content for us to decide on whether we want to buy these toys or not...

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 27, 2024, 10:37:25 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 27, 2024, 03:28:22 PM

My go to Reviewers are Dino Screams, Dinos Dragons, and Andy's, BUT like I said, I don't use the audio most of the time...Andy does a really good job of showing you the figure slowly from all angles and I really appreciate that considering that I mute him 90% of the time, Dino Scream I love because he uses the little rotating display thing and you can appreciate the entire figure from many different angles, again it's about the video, Dinos Dragons does the best comparison, not just the same figure over and over like Andy, Dinos Dragons carefully selects comparison figures that are relevant to the figure you want to see and he uses enough comparisons that you are likely to own one of the figures he compares them to...it's all about the videos for me but occasionally I listen to Dinos Dragons more than the other guys if only I could turn off the music and just listen to what he has to say, but hey, I'm just grateful that these guys take the time to create the content for us to decide on whether we want to buy these toys or not...

I wonder if they are here reading this.  :D  Yeah, it's great to see what you'll get in detail before making the purchase.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 27, 2024, 02:34:28 PM...meanwhile I am still 100% satisfied with the Safari 2017 feathered and lipless rex! That's right! Guess I like to live dangerously  :P  [hahaha]

I'd still buy that if i didn't have so many dinosaurs species in my shopping list. Artistically it's still great, T.rex looks like a mythical creature with land hawk style (not those weird pubic hair  or bald vulture look) Scientifically at least it's historical piece now,  just like  kangaroo posed lizard T.rex or 4 legged Iguanodon.

If i can find 2nd hand at good price in my country (unlikely) , i'm buying it for sure.

Turkeysaurus

Making it similar to Varanid teeth is best part of this figure imo. (along with originality of the jaw articulation)  This is what the paper says basically: (by Mark Witton)

No half measures.

Cpt Red 3eard

I have the same opinion as Andy. I think the paint is too noisy and details get lost. I really dislike the jaw and the speckles in the mouth don't make sense to me.

I'm glad people like it, but I don't see much appeal.

Turkeysaurus

"Why do some dogs have black spots on their tongue, and is it something to be concerned about? Melanin is commonly known as pigment. It's a substance that determines skin and hair color, the color of the iris of the eye, feathers on birds and scales on reptiles, as well as the skin and hair color of dogs and cats. In people, extra pigmentation in skin cells shows up as birthmarks or freckles on our skin. Our canine friends can also have freckles dotting their skin, and that includes on their tongue. Essentially, black spots on a dog's tongue are akin to freckles on humans. The "points" of a dog's coloring refers to his nose, rims around the eyes, lips, paw pads and toenails. Breeds with darker lips and noses can also have dark pigmentation spots on their gums and tongue. These "freckles" will be present at birth or develop when a puppy is still very young, and are perfectly normal. While dark spots can appear in any dog breed, mixed or purebred, it's more common to find them on the tongues of breeds that have black points. Spots on your dog's tongue could also be a sign that your pet has a medical issue. Normal blue/black spots have the same texture as the rest of a dog's tongue and will essentially stay the same size and shape throughout a dog's lifetime. Spots that are not a blue/black color, are raised, have a foul odor and are not the same texture as the tongue can indicate a health concern. Dark spots that suddenly appear on the tongue, gums, mouth or skin of older dogs could be a sign of canine melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma or oral cancer."
https://canidae.com/blog/why-do-some-dogs-have-black-spots-on-their-tongue

Maybe inspired for such a thing? The toy has entirely black head and black arms & feet (paws) and black patters all over the body.

Does it look better with the spots in it's mouth? I don't think so. It still looks like accidently sprayed black paint.

Paleo Flo

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 27, 2024, 02:34:28 PM...meanwhile I am still 100% satisfied with the Safari 2017 feathered and lipless rex! That's right! Guess I like to live dangerously  :P  [hahaha]

It's me again.

You're not alone. I still cherish the feathered 2017 Safari Tyrannosaurus.  8)

I think as a genus...the reconstruction-history of Tyrannosaurus could be made visiable trough toys and models.

It's by far the genus which I have the most figures from. Despite my fav dinosaur is Iguanodon.  :o

I still got the

- classic Invicta
- classic 80s Safari
- Kenner Red Rex 93
- Kenner Junior Rex 93
- the feathered 2017 Safari
- the feathered juvenile by CollectA
- The jumping t-Rex skeleton from Bandai
- PNSO Andrea
- PNSO Cameron

Each one represents the change of reconstructing the world's most famous dinosaur.

The Eofauna one...even as it didn't touch me first...I know now, that I must have it...as an new approach of Rex-Reconstruction.

Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Carnoking

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 28, 2024, 03:32:47 AM"Why do some dogs have black spots on their tongue, and is it something to be concerned about? Melanin is commonly known as pigment. It's a substance that determines skin and hair color, the color of the iris of the eye, feathers on birds and scales on reptiles, as well as the skin and hair color of dogs and cats. In people, extra pigmentation in skin cells shows up as birthmarks or freckles on our skin. Our canine friends can also have freckles dotting their skin, and that includes on their tongue. Essentially, black spots on a dog's tongue are akin to freckles on humans. The "points" of a dog's coloring refers to his nose, rims around the eyes, lips, paw pads and toenails. Breeds with darker lips and noses can also have dark pigmentation spots on their gums and tongue. These "freckles" will be present at birth or develop when a puppy is still very young, and are perfectly normal. While dark spots can appear in any dog breed, mixed or purebred, it's more common to find them on the tongues of breeds that have black points. Spots on your dog's tongue could also be a sign that your pet has a medical issue. Normal blue/black spots have the same texture as the rest of a dog's tongue and will essentially stay the same size and shape throughout a dog's lifetime. Spots that are not a blue/black color, are raised, have a foul odor and are not the same texture as the tongue can indicate a health concern. Dark spots that suddenly appear on the tongue, gums, mouth or skin of older dogs could be a sign of canine melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma or oral cancer."
https://canidae.com/blog/why-do-some-dogs-have-black-spots-on-their-tongue

Maybe inspired for such a thing? The toy has entirely black head and black arms & feet (paws) and black patters all over the body.

Does it look better with the spots in it's mouth? I don't think so. It still looks like accidently sprayed black paint.

The speckling in the mouth did indeed put me in mind of a dog's gingiva but I'm not a fan of how it also marks the teeth. Granted, I imagine it would be very difficult to add that spattering of color so precisely as to avoid marring the teeth but it ultimately feels like an unnecessary detail. I can't think of an example of such dark spotting in the gums and tongues of varanids, which this figure seems to take many design cues from. I think a red wash akin to what PNSO does would have been sufficient, or if they really wanted to do the flecked look then at least the red on the teeth could be interpreted as blood from a kill.

The speckled/blunted teeth, along with the seamlines around the head and mandible, are definitely still major quibbles of mine. Regardless, I'm still quite enamored with this design and am excited to get mine in hand. Just waiting for it to ship!

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Carnoking on June 28, 2024, 12:29:36 PMThe speckling in the mouth did indeed put me in mind of a dog's gingiva but I'm not a fan of how it also marks the teeth. Granted, I imagine it would be very difficult to add that spattering of color so precisely as to avoid marring the teeth but it ultimately feels like an unnecessary detail.

I agree.  Small details are unnecessary if they don't look natural. Sprayed paint comes to mind more than animal had  hyper pigmentation. Cool idea bad execution.  My problems from some of Haolonggood dots & wiggles comes from this as well. They look more like Paint brush marks than animal's natural patterns. Not necessary, just give it some wash and call it a day. Make it greater otherwise just don't make it worse. Sometimes less is more.

Gwangi

I have that one too (the Dino Dana version) and wouldn't dream of ever getting rid of it. It's one of my favorite T. rex figures, but I also needed a more modern and scientifically grounded reconstruction.

JimoAi

meanwhile I'm still cling onto the Pnso zhuchengtyrannus as a Tyrannosaurus and until someone makes one one in 1/40 with lips and accuracy in mind I'll stick with jt

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: JimoAi on June 28, 2024, 02:07:31 PMmeanwhile I'm still cling onto the Pnso zhuchengtyrannus as a Tyrannosaurus and until someone makes one one in 1/40 with lips and accuracy in mind I'll stick with jt

Zhucheng was my default T-rex too!  I never bought Cameron precisely because of how much I liked Zhucheng and also because I'v gone completely over to the lipped camp...I have Sue up there with him now and if I take Sue off her base and stand them next to each other their hips and upper back area are about the same height off the table, Sue is longer by maybe an inch but most of that is just tail, from snout to where the tail starts they are similar in length and the heads and necks are about the same in size and thickness, although his tail is much thicker and more muscular...Zhucheng starts looking strange when you look at the lack of girth in the chest area, now that I have Sue I'm starting to question his anatomy a little...like he must be emaciated and starving or have super small internal organs, aside from his tail being super thick and muscular in comparison to hers, his feet ar also quite a bit bigger...I put his heel up to hers on the plant leg and his toes stick out another like 3-4mm from hers...Sue is making him look so plain too...when you look at him up close in hand you can appreciate the subtlety and realism of that PNSO fading and wash technique that is so incredible, but from across the room?  From across the room she stands out like nobody's business, loud and proud and now that I've added the dark red and orange fading to her yellow tones she pops like crazy on the shelf...yeah, it's all speculative and larger animals were probably more boring and plain in their colorations but you never know...

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: JimoAi on June 28, 2024, 02:07:31 PMmeanwhile I'm still cling onto the Pnso zhuchengtyrannus as a Tyrannosaurus and until someone makes one one in 1/40 with lips and accuracy in mind I'll stick with jt

My PNSO tyrannotitan will be body double for Giganotosaurus.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Paleo Flo on June 28, 2024, 06:35:20 AM

It's me again.

You're not alone. I still cherish the feathered 2017 Safari Tyrannosaurus.  8)

I think as a genus...the reconstruction-history of Tyrannosaurus could be made visiable trough toys and models.

It's by far the genus which I have the most figures from. Despite my fav dinosaur is Iguanodon.  :o

I still got the

- classic Invicta
- classic 80s Safari
- Kenner Red Rex 93
- Kenner Junior Rex 93
- the feathered 2017 Safari
- the feathered juvenile by CollectA
- The jumping t-Rex skeleton from Bandai
- PNSO Andrea
- PNSO Cameron

Each one represents the change of reconstructing the world's most famous dinosaur.

The Eofauna one...even as it didn't touch me first...I know now, that I must have it...as an new approach of Rex-Reconstruction.

I trust Eofauna's reconstruction techniques, the only figure I've read about that people questioned the dimensions on was the head on the Giganotosaurus but that was based on fragmentary remains that are still being debated by the experts.  This is different, Sue is one of the most complete T-rex ever found so I trust the scientific methods that they use to put, muscle, fat, and skin on her.

I'm not going to lie, I was on the fence about the yellow/black scheme when I first saw the online images but I've had a very long time to fantasize and imagine how I would change it to my liking.  but that said, I was surprised with how much more I liked the factory paint right out of the bag from the beginning.  Since I planned on getting two from the start I didn't hesitate to make some modifications to the first one that arrived.  I'm already in love with this one and I might not be painting it over from primer but it'll be nice to have the original version too... 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: