News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

More in hand pictures of the green Stegosaurus as per Paleofiguras:

dragon53

Turkeysaurus

What do you think realistic colors would be for a stegosaurus? It lived in arid dry environment, right?

thomasw100

More in hand pictures as per Paleofiguras.

Shuvuuia

Not loving how prone to warping the plates seem to be based on the in hand images. I'm sure to certain degree it's inevitable, but I'd have hoped packaging could have reduced it more.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Shuvuuia on June 17, 2024, 06:08:48 PMNot loving how prone to warping the plates seem to be based on the in hand images. I'm sure to certain degree it's inevitable, but I'd have hoped packaging could have reduced it more.

I had the same issue with my PNSO S. stenops - a hairdryer and some patience helps with straightening the plates! Happy to report that my copy has unwarped plates currently. If I get HLG's version, I'll likely use the same treatment.

Also, is it me or does anyone else feel like PNSO's version has a proportionally larger head than HLG's?

thomasw100

Quote from: Quiversaurus on June 17, 2024, 06:19:41 PM
Quote from: Shuvuuia on June 17, 2024, 06:08:48 PMNot loving how prone to warping the plates seem to be based on the in hand images. I'm sure to certain degree it's inevitable, but I'd have hoped packaging could have reduced it more.

I had the same issue with my PNSO S. stenops - a hairdryer and some patience helps with straightening the plates! Happy to report that my copy has unwarped plates currently. If I get HLG's version, I'll likely use the same treatment.

Also, is it me or does anyone else feel like PNSO's version has a proportionally larger head than HLG's?

Hi there, how do you actually do the straightening of the plates with a hairdryer? OK you heat the plates with the hairdryer. But then do you just bend them back to the straight position with your fingers?

Sim

Quote from: Quiversaurus on June 17, 2024, 06:19:41 PMI had the same issue with my PNSO S. stenops - a hairdryer and some patience helps with straightening the plates! Happy to report that my copy has unwarped plates currently. If I get HLG's version, I'll likely use the same treatment.

My PNSO museum series adult Stegosaurus came with warped plates too, and I too managed to straighten them with a hairdryer.  The plates on mine have remained straight too.
In Getawaytrike's stegosaurian skeletal reconstructions here, S. ungulatus has a smaller head than S. stenops: https://www.deviantart.com/getawaytrike/art/Along-the-roof-637320565

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 17, 2024, 06:57:36 PMHi there, how do you actually do the straightening of the plates with a hairdryer? OK you heat the plates with the hairdryer. But then do you just bend them back to the straight position with your fingers?
I heated the plates on my PNSO Stegosaurus and then bent them back to the correct shape with my fingers.  I had to do it a few times to get them fully straight but after that they've remained straight and it's been a long time since I straightened them.

Flaffy

Nice to see the size difference between the two Stegosaurus species represented. Herbivores truly are Haolonggood's strength.

The four stegosaurines by both PNSO (S. stenops, W. homheni) and Haolonggood (S. ungulatus, W. ordosensis) would make for a nice herd.

thomasw100

It appears as if there is some paint bleeding of the red-orange next to the plates. Much more difficult to fix than warped plates.

TlatolophusJuanorum

I found this video review in mandarin chinese for all three S. ungulatus colour schemes.
I love how they look more dull coloured than released images, a grayish-blue for my favourite. Really nice I must say, and with this summer sale I would get both blue and green ones before I put a pause on my collection due to financial health.  :) -

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Sim on June 17, 2024, 07:33:54 PM
Quote from: Quiversaurus on June 17, 2024, 06:19:41 PMI had the same issue with my PNSO S. stenops - a hairdryer and some patience helps with straightening the plates! Happy to report that my copy has unwarped plates currently. If I get HLG's version, I'll likely use the same treatment.

My PNSO museum series adult Stegosaurus came with warped plates too, and I too managed to straighten them with a hairdryer.  The plates on mine have remained straight too.
In Getawaytrike's stegosaurian skeletal reconstructions here, S. ungulatus has a smaller head than S. stenops: https://www.deviantart.com/getawaytrike/art/Along-the-roof-637320565

Thank you for the link, avatar_Sim @Sim ! That answers my question.

I've also been looking for a skeletal of Hesperosaurus, since I've read that it has very good remains (it really does). I really like the variations in plate shapes amongst these different species. Looking forward to a Hesperosaurus figure now...

T @thomasw100 yes, that's exactly what I did to straighten the plates. To add on to avatar_Sim @Sim 's advice, it's a bit of a trial and error thing. But once the plastic is heated up, it's quite malleable, so heat and bend, then rinse and repeat till you're happy with the results.

Flaffy

I tend to have a bowl of ice cold water on hand to "fix" the plastic in place when doing heat treatments.

Benefits: Quick results as the plastic sets in an instant, no need to hold your hand on the warped bit until the plastic cools down naturally.

Drawbacks: Minor adjustments cannot be made if the plastic doesn't set in the correct position. Probably needs a couple of re-tries before a satisfying result is achieved if you are initially unfamiliar with the method.

thomasw100

Quote from: Quiversaurus on June 18, 2024, 01:34:44 AM
Quote from: Sim on June 17, 2024, 07:33:54 PM

Thank you for the link, avatar_Sim @Sim ! That answers my question.

I've also been looking for a skeletal of Hesperosaurus, since I've read that it has very good remains (it really does). I really like the variations in plate shapes amongst these different species. Looking forward to a Hesperosaurus figure now...

T @thomasw100 yes, that's exactly what I did to straighten the plates. To add on to avatar_Sim @Sim 's advice, it's a bit of a trial and error thing. But once the plastic is heated up, it's quite malleable, so heat and bend, then rinse and repeat till you're happy with the results.

Hi there, thanks to you and Sim for the good explanations on how to straighten the plates.

About Hesperosaurus: I can visually confirm that it has good remains. In April, we visited the Natural History Museum in Zürich and the Sauriermuseum Aathal (close to Zürich) and they both had quite complete mounted skeletons of Hesperosaurus on display. Already then I thought this genus would definitely deserve a figure from Haolonggood or PNSO.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on June 18, 2024, 12:57:38 AMI found this video review in mandarin chinese for all three S. ungulatus colour schemes.
I love how they look more dull coloured than released images, a grayish-blue for my favourite. Really nice I must say, and with this summer sale I would get both blue and green ones before I put a pause on my collection due to financial health.  :) -

Thanks for this! The reviewer is of the view that all the colours are beautiful in their own right, and consumers can get to choose based on their preferences.

He also pointed out the skin textures at the base of the plates, which I didn't notice before.

His measurement of the figure came up to about 24cm.

Towards the end he mentioned that HLG did a really good job for this species, and that they seem to have put in extra effort to make this model accurate and of high sculpt and paint quality. I believe the direct translation would be "diligently".

I must admit I am slightly swayed - away from the green version towards the watermelon version, because the colours are not as bright as the promo images first showed.

Can't wait for the English reviews!

Turkeysaurus

They all look better than the images. O didn't like blue at first but now it looks good too. It's 50/50 between classic & fruit for me.

thomasw100

Next Halonggood release: Diabloceratops. First pictures as per Paleofiguras.

Carnoking

Hm, this one is leaving me a little cold. Something about it gives me knock off vibes.

Turkeysaurus

Hows this and stegosaurus are made by same company? Terrible paint job. :(

It wasn't on my bucket list so i don't mind. I hope they don't let down with styracosaurus though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: