News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ordered the green through Lana last night, 29.99 with free shipping.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 15, 2024, 03:20:44 PMThey look leaner compared to PNSO. I think im gonna get fruity btw.
I agree and that's one of the reasons ill pass, I like my chunky pnso stego, I still also feel this guy is a lil stiff but I will say detail wise this looks on pair with the mamenchi they released, and I love that figure.

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 15, 2024, 04:08:12 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 15, 2024, 03:20:44 PMThey look leaner compared to PNSO. I think im gonna get fruity btw.
I agree and that's one of the reasons ill pass, I like my chunky pnso stego, I still also feel this guy is a lil stiff but I will say detail wise this looks on pair with the mamenchi they released, and I love that figure.

The leaner appearance could be partly the effect of the different angle in that picture. We need to see in hand pictures which show both Haolonggood and PNSO stegosaurus next to each other viewed from the top. This Stegosurus ungulatus promises to be one of the best Haolonggood figures so far.

SidB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 15, 2024, 04:03:20 PMOrdered the green through Lana last night, 29.99 with free shipping.
Ditto, minus the free shipping, which I don't get for Toronto. Still though, her postage is 1/3 the cost of Canada Post, so no complaint.

Quiversaurus

Measurements HLG gives puts this S. ungulatus at 25cm.

If we take 7.5m (Wiki), this figure would be in 1:30 scale.

If we take 8.23m (Apex, the new S. ungulatus find), this figure would be in 1:33 scale.

Edit (added quote): "It's almost 11.5ft tall (3.5m) and fully 27ft from the top of its head to the tip of its scaly tail."

27ft = 8.23m

"Apex was a fully mature S. ungulatus specimen that seemed to have died of old age (it had arthritis), so I don't know how I feel about this figure depicting a specimen even larger than Apex.

"Apex didn't appear to have been damaged in fights with other creatures. The only indication of wear and tear was that its lower vertebrae had fused with the pelvis, an effect of arthritis, suggesting the stegosaurus enjoyed a long life before an eternity in the ground."

(https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/29/science/stegosaurus-fossil-auction-sothebys.html)

Sim

I just checked Dinosdragons' review of the PNSO museum series Stegosaurus and it seems it too is about 1:33 scale.

Sim

Also, there's hardly any difference between 1:35 and 1:33.  I don't think the difference is noticeable.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on June 16, 2024, 01:59:47 AMAlso, there's hardly any difference between 1:35 and 1:33.  I don't think the difference is noticeable.

Likewise. I wouldn't be too fussed over something like that. Moreover, in-life, intervertebral cartilage and soft tissue on top would cause some minor fluctuations in scale estimates achieved from just dry bones.

Quiversaurus

Thanks for the input, avatar_Sim @Sim , avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy . Your reasoning puts me at ease (:

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on June 16, 2024, 02:14:13 AM
Quote from: Sim on June 16, 2024, 01:59:47 AMAlso, there's hardly any difference between 1:35 and 1:33.  I don't think the difference is noticeable.

Likewise. I wouldn't be too fussed over something like that. Moreover, in-life, intervertebral cartilage and soft tissue on top would cause some minor fluctuations in scale estimates achieved from just dry bones.

Very helpful input from you as usual. We do also need to think along the lines of population statistics. The fossil material that we have of each dinosaur species represents a very small sample of the living population of that species. Like we have even in exceptional cases maybe one hundred fossil specimens of a species that lived for millions of years in numbers of millions over this time span. We can ask the question how many individuals of stegosaurus have ever existed? How likely is it that this small sample basis that is preserved as fossils is representative of the size range of that species. In view of this anything that is within 10 or 20 percent of the size range estimates we have from fossils would appear quite plausible.

Of course we can ask a more fundamental question that the model / figure manufacturers should take into consideration. Should dinosaur models / figures represent the maximum size of a species or rather the average size? In some cases of PNSO figures, the design of a figure was explicitly based on a particular fossil specimen. This is a perfectly reasonable approach as well, but it requires that an articulated fossil exists that is preserved to a large percentage. Unfortunately this is not always the case.

Turkeysaurus

I collect 1:35 but 1:30-1:40 is my limit. 1:33-1:37 i don't mind at all.

It's impossible for paleantologists to find absolute maximum or minimum size for any dinosaur specimen.

Sue was biggest Rex for a long time. Scotty took the throne but not much longer. There are specimens named Bertha and Cope possibly bigger than Scotty.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 16, 2024, 02:40:22 PMI collect 1:35 but 1:30-1:40 is my limit. 1:33-1:37 i don't mind at all.

It's impossible for paleantologists to find absolute maximum or minimum size for any dinosaur specimen.

Sue was biggest Rex for a long time. Scotty took the throne but not much longer. There are specimens named Bertha and Cope possibly bigger than Scotty.
i have the exact same scale limits lol, if i figure is REALY good ill do 1/29

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 16, 2024, 05:21:30 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 16, 2024, 02:40:22 PMI collect 1:35 but 1:30-1:40 is my limit. 1:33-1:37 i don't mind at all.

But based on which size estimate for the real animal? The largest size? The average size? The size of the most complete mounted skeleton? The size estimate from Wikepedia? The size estimate from Gregory Pauls book? The size estimate from Eofauna book? Depending on the size estimate you refer to the scale will really vary a lot. And we have not even talked about how the size estimates are derived from the sizes of the bones found. Flaffy made one very point on the latter above.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 16, 2024, 05:48:28 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 16, 2024, 05:21:30 PM

But based on which size estimate for the real animal? The largest size? The average size? The size of the most complete mounted skeleton? The size estimate from Wikepedia? The size estimate from Gregory Pauls book? The size estimate from Eofauna book? Depending on the size estimate you refer to the scale will really vary a lot. And we have not even talked about how the size estimates are derived from the sizes of the bones found. Flaffy made one very point on the latter above.

Id say average, but really its case by case for me

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Faelrin on June 16, 2024, 04:08:23 AMNew Artist Mamenchisaurus:

https://www.amazon.com/HAOLONGGOOD-Artist-Style-Mamenchisaurus-Science/dp/B0D73N3ZVY

Do we ever get in hand pics of these I always wonder who gets them, while its an interesting color scheme I'm happy with my brown but I do like the high contrast.

Leyster

avatar_oscars_dinos @oscars_dinos those Artist Style are one-of-a-kind paintjobs, so no, unless the buyer happens to be an user of this forum and is willing to share them.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 16, 2024, 06:22:27 PMDo we ever get in hand pics of these I always wonder who gets them, while its an interesting color scheme I'm happy with my brown but I do like the high contrast.

I am also happy with my brown one, thinking about also getting the green. I have stopped even looking at these artist edition figures, because they are not sold in Europe. Fortunately we do have some great painting artists in Europe which do amazing repaints of these figures.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 16, 2024, 06:22:27 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on June 16, 2024, 04:08:23 AMNew Artist Mamenchisaurus:

https://www.amazon.com/HAOLONGGOOD-Artist-Style-Mamenchisaurus-Science/dp/B0D73N3ZVY

Do we ever get in hand pics of these I always wonder who gets them, while its an interesting color scheme I'm happy with my brown but I do like the high contrast.

I actually do have one of these on the way as a gift for a friend, so I'll do my best to share pics when that arrives! (One of the Kosmoceratops repaints.)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: