News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeysaurus

I hate those wiggly lines HLG obssed with btw. If somebody from company read it, those lines are ugly and it gives a look somebodys little brother did it with a marker.

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 20, 2024, 02:34:08 PMHows this and stegosaurus are made by same company? Terrible paint job. :(

It wasn't on my bucket list so i don't mind. I hope they don't let down with styracosaurus though.

I like that the surface / skin texture is again finer, more like that of Kosmoceratops and Sinoceratops. The sculpt looks really really good I would say. The size is also right, Diablosceratops is estimated at 4 to 4.5 meters in length.

The orange-yellow eyes are a good change from the blue eyes they have been using for almost all models of this year. The blue eyes are great and are much better than the white ones they used in older models, but if all species have them it gets too repetitive. PNSO does also vary between blue and orange eyes.

I am quite OK with the paint design of the brown one. We need to see how the highlight color on the frill looks in natural light. In the promo images this looks somewhat cold and the slightly darker blue highlights of the Kosmoceratops were warmer and more natural. But such things can maybe be fixed by some touch up paint work.

CarnotaurusKing

Looks pretty dang good IMO. Paintjob might look better in in-hand images. Plus the blue version looks pretty different between the two images. Seems best to wait for further images.

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 20, 2024, 02:48:36 PMI hate those wiggly lines HLG obssed with btw. If somebody from company read it, those lines are ugly and it gives a look somebodys little brother did it with a marker.

I have been heavily criticizing the white wiggly lines they used on some models of last year, but to be fair and honest, these dark areas are not really the same. They are more patchy and irregular and not really lines. Compare the brown one with for example the PNSO Styracosaurus, there are some similarities in the overall pattern I would say.

Turkeysaurus

They would look much better without marker lines. They look artificial and get all attention from subtle paint behind imo.

Cretoxyrhina

The painting on the nose and beak look like a step down from the chasmosaurus, also the painting on the eyes seem to be missing something

I still like the yellow version though, the blue frill contrasts well with the body

suspsy

Hopefully more images will drop soon and I can post on the blog about this.

I'm dying to see another black and white teaser poster for the second half of the year, but I reckon Haolonggood won't be dropping one until all the genera on the first poster are revealed. And there's still eight more to go!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Gwangi

I like it, especially the blue one, but I'm pretty content with the Safari Diabloceratops so I probably won't get it.

Flaffy

The patterns, especially the spots on the head are quite crude when comparing to Haolonggood's usual standard imo.

The palette used on the yellow Diabloceratops reminds me of PNSO's Machairoceratops.

thomasw100

Some more pictures have appeared on Paleofiguras FB page. The colors look fairly washed out. This is probably due to the illumination. Only high-quality in hand photos will really tell how bright or dark both paint variants really look.

Faelrin

Blue on Diabloceratops certainly breaks the warm color trend for this one. That said I like my Diabloceratops extra spicy as much of a paleo-meme it is. I just got the Safari figure last year so this is kind of a pass for me.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suchomimus

Torso squiggles aside, those horn colors look masterfully done!

Dilopho

Both of those look fantastic. I have to say, I'm really a big fan of dark "socks" on dinosaurs.

bmathison1972

these are awesome, but I am content with the Safari version!

oscars_dinos

Diabloceratops is honestly a bit of a let down as I was actually considering getting it since I don't like the pnso one, this feels like a older hlg release where the sculpting isn't as sharp as their newer work like the stego and mamenchi, the face looks cartoony as well, and I'm not a fan of the colors either... as for the stego, it looks huge, and something about the proportions seems off to me, but I will say, sculpt detail is amazing. Its really seeming like HLG might have different sculptors. By the way I don't mean to be so negative just saying what I see.

Concavenator

These look great, but I think I prefer the orange Diabloceratops.

Quote from: suspsy on June 20, 2024, 03:59:11 PMI'm dying to see another black and white teaser poster for the second half of the year, but I reckon Haolonggood won't be dropping one until all the genera on the first poster are revealed.

Do we know if they will be dropping another teaser?

If so, that's something I'm very much looking forward to see as well. I like this teaser thing, I like being aware of what to expect, I certainly prefer that over not having a clue about what to expect.

And of course, if those WIPs mean some hypothetical corrections could be made (in case they're needed), then that's another advantage of that practice.

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 20, 2024, 09:21:56 PMas for the stego, it looks huge, and something about the proportions seems off to me

It represents Stegosaurus ungulatus, which has different proportions than the Stegosaurus stenops everyone is used to seeing.

Eatmycar

The blue one looks phenomenal - a wonderful way to avoid the cliche of red on Diabloceratops!

Too bad they're 1/35 and not 1/18, because this easily upsets the BoTM one in the color department.

SidB

Quote from: Eatmycar on June 21, 2024, 01:00:35 AMThe blue one looks phenomenal - a wonderful way to avoid the cliche of red on Diabloceratops!

Too bad they're 1/35 and not 1/18, because this easily upsets the BoTM one in the color department.
I like the blue one too. I have the old Safari one and the very decent Schleich Diaboloceratops too, but I'll get one of these when they come out.

Abobo

thomasw100

In these newer pictures the Diabloceratops looks a bit different than in the first pictures that appeared yesterday. The yellow one is still the one I like best, but the blue-green highlights on the frill have a somewhat unnatural color tone, reminding me of these weird blue and green colors they used on the Pachyrhinosaurus. The yellow one could have afforded some darker brownish or reddish brown accents around the eyes like the Chasmosaurus has. Overall, the yellow one has too much of essentially the same color, even the countershading is barely visible. The blue one looks more pale gray in these newer pictures, but it is really difficult to see without in hand pictures in natural light. This one looks actually better than in the first pictures. The skin texture appears more rough in these pictures than in the first pictures from yesterday. I do not understand why Haolonggood has decided to make the skin texture of their ceratopsians now rougher and coarser again compared to the Kosmoceratops and Sinoceratops. The latter were praised by many people as being really excellent models.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: