News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

What inherently makes blue inaccurate when used as a primary colour for a large animal? Bluebuck were not particularly small (for their ecosystem), and scales are a lot easier to make blue than fur is. Plus the numerous examples of blue iguanas, while small, are again often among the larger herbivores on their islands.

thomasw100

First in hand pictures of the Diabloceratops as per Paleofiguras.

I wonder if the appearance in natural light would be closer to the darker or brighter images. I like that the color of the horns appears now distinctly different from the base color of the yellow one. They had more or less the same color tone in the promotional images. The orange eyes look very good. Finally, it is an important improvement that one does not see a seam line between the head and the body. Either there is none because they managed to mold this in one piece or they managed to conceal this very well. I noticed already that they concealed the seam line on the Chasmosaurus very well.

ceratopsian

That a good point about the lack of seam lines.

SidB

DefinitelyNOTDilo

As predicted, the paint looks much better in hand!

GojiraGuy1954

I was very sold on the blue variant initially, but I might have to get that yellow one.. paint job looks incredible in these new images
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Flaffy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 23, 2024, 08:08:51 PMI was very sold on the blue variant initially, but I might have to get that yellow one.. paint job looks incredible in these new images

Same here. A butt load of subtelties and complexities that was not present in the initial promo pics. The beak on the blue version was only half painted in the promo pics, along with missing the orange dry brush on top. The splotches on the face are more blended, and appear to have a purplish hue compared to the darker more obvious spots shown before.

Bread

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 23, 2024, 05:06:07 PMWhat inherently makes blue inaccurate when used as a primary colour for a large animal? Bluebuck were not particularly small (for their ecosystem), and scales are a lot easier to make blue than fur is. Plus the numerous examples of blue iguanas, while small, are again often among the larger herbivores on their islands.
Exactly! Everyone was loving the purple and bluish Tyrannotitan from PNSO, but seems like others are not too keen on this blue small ceratopsian, which is arguably way more plausible.

I'm all for criticism, but lately it seems like complaining about a color when we as a community have been asking for more color and overall presentation on affordable models... We've become spoiled in my opinion.

Carnoking

Interesting, the markings on the yellow variant look much more subtle and faded when pictured with the boxes/against the shelves, whereas when against the wood they seem to be more apparent. Meanwhile, the spots on the face of the blue variant look quite noticeable in the shelf/box pics while they seem more subtle against the wood. I wonder if this is a case of "variants" or if it's a lighting thing.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on June 23, 2024, 09:18:43 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on June 23, 2024, 05:06:07 PMWhat inherently makes blue inaccurate when used as a primary colour for a large animal? Bluebuck were not particularly small (for their ecosystem), and scales are a lot easier to make blue than fur is. Plus the numerous examples of blue iguanas, while small, are again often among the larger herbivores on their islands.
Exactly! Everyone was loving the purple and bluish Tyrannotitan from PNSO, but seems like others are not too keen on this blue small ceratopsian, which is arguably way more plausible.

I'm all for criticism, but lately it seems like complaining about a color when we as a community have been asking for more color and overall presentation on affordable models... We've become spoiled in my opinion.

I only said that models of large dinosaurs entirely with a blue base color would not seem scientifically plausible to me, whereas when such models are rather viewed as pieces of art that would be perfectly fine. The reason I convinced myself that blue would seem not plausible for large dinosaurs is that melanosomes have only restricted color variants and pigments taken up from food sources would be limited because large dinosaurs would have to eat large amounts of plants with blue color substances which again seem quite limited in nature.

Sim

As was discussed in the controversial opinions thread, blue in animals isn't derived from food, it's a structural colour which can be achieved by bare skin, scales and pennaceous feathers.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on June 23, 2024, 10:14:09 PMAs was discussed in the controversial opinions thread, blue in animals isn't derived from food, it's a structural colour which can be achieved by bare skin, scales and pennaceous feathers.

https://www.labroots.com/trending/plants-and-animals/16484/blue-animals-truly-blue

Sim

The way animals tend to appear blue is in simple terms "being blue".  My point is that blue in these animals is achieved from the structure of their integument and as I said in the other thread, when their integument degrades through death for example, the blue vanishes as the structure changes.  Blue in animals is not obtained from food.  I didn't know there are a few animals with true blue pigment though, that's good to know!

Pinbacker

These Diabloceratops look superb...quality looks right on par with the Chasmosaurus. The paint work on both variants looks amazing.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 23, 2024, 05:44:05 PM

I must say HLG needs to get better at taking their promo pics because these and most HLG figures look way better and more crisp in hand, I still don't like this figure enough to get but it looks a lot better than the promo pics lead me to believe.

Gwangi

Initially I thought I preferred the blue version but these pictures have me leaning yellow. Of course, I also said I wasn't going to get it at all since I have Safari's but...well...we'll see.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 23, 2024, 10:06:50 PM
Quote from: Bread on June 23, 2024, 09:18:43 PM

I only said that models of large dinosaurs entirely with a blue base color would not seem scientifically plausible to me, whereas when such models are rather viewed as pieces of art that would be perfectly fine. The reason I convinced myself that blue would seem not plausible for large dinosaurs is that melanosomes have only restricted color variants and pigments taken up from food sources would be limited because large dinosaurs would have to eat large amounts of plants with blue color substances which again seem quite limited in nature.

My opinion on blue dinosaurs based on how they look together on a collection. Sure giant blue animals are less likely than other colors but my issue with it let's say if you get Blue Alamosaurus, you are less likely to get blue mamenchisaurus and if you get both you are less likely to get blue stegosaurus or teal/pinkish stegosaurus because at some point they will look too distracting. Blue is a color gets attention in nature due to it's rarity and same goes for animal toys. It will make it look like somebody collecting blue dinosaur purposely.

Earth colors might seem boring but they don't look odd if you have bunch of earth colored dinosaurs next to each other.

TL;DR Practical reasons.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2024, 10:50:14 PMInitially I thought I preferred the blue version but these pictures have me leaning yellow. Of course, I also said I wasn't going to get it at all since I have Safari's but...well...we'll see.
Having seen the yellowish one now in a better light, I'm no longer certain which one to get. It's been a long time since I got both color variants of a HLG taxon, but this might break that practice.

dragon53

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: dragon53 on June 24, 2024, 12:11:27 AM

Thank you for this. I wish he had fruit variation too though.

Spot lights & contrast make them look very shiny. To see true colors this video is better:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: