News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: dragon53 on June 24, 2024, 12:11:27 AM

In this video it is said that the Haolonggood Stegosaurus would be too large, yet a graph is shown in that video which shows a size estimate of 9 meters and this is just horizontal length and not length through the centra. Whatever the most reasonable size estimate would be, the Haolonggood Stegosaurus ungulatus seems to scale perfectly with the smaller PNSO Stegosaurus stenops.

Turkeysaurus

I think largest "apex" was 27 feet long.  So it's in reasonable range.

I chickened out and ordered classic green variant btw.  :D

Quiversaurus

Quote from: dragon53 on June 24, 2024, 12:11:27 AM

I've been waiting for this! Man these HLG Stegosaurs look amazing. I enjoyed the closeup shots of the head especially.

Looks like this may very well be my first purchase from them, just gotta wait for a discount/sale now.

Some reference pics; HLG x PNSO:

I was initially worried that the greens would be too similar between the PNSO and HLG versions, but this video helped assuage those worries for me. They're still muted on both figures, but the PNSO one has a yellower/browner tinge to it. That's enough differentiation for me (:

HLG x Rebor (I thought the sizes between these two were quite complementary/satisfying):

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 24, 2024, 07:24:38 AMI think largest "apex" was 27 feet long.  So it's in reasonable range.

Where is the source for that 27ft measurement for apex? geniune question. All i have found about is between 6,5 and 7m. The height is the most consistent measurement and is ~3,5m, so little chance the animal is over 8m as their length is less than heightx2. From photos of the specimen nex to people it doesnt seem to be close to 8m either.
Anyway the haologgood stego is too oversized for 1/35, i was very temted to buy it but comparissons with 1/35 models shows that it is ridiculously oversized, even for an outlier old individual. The estimates of 9m individuals are old outdated and isometrical scaling. If im not wrong those estimates where based on ungulatus femoras (biggest stego specimes afaik), but it is now known that adult individuals had a proportionally longer femur.

I was very excited for the fruity version but that side by side view with PNSO Allosaurus/Saurophaganax... HELL NAH 

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 01:42:49 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 24, 2024, 07:24:38 AMI think largest "apex" was 27 feet long.  So it's in reasonable range.

Where is the source for that 27ft measurement for apex? geniune question. All i have found about is between 6,5 and 7m. The height is the most consistent measurement and is ~3,5m, so little chance the animal is over 8m as their length is less than heightx2. From photos of the specimen nex to people it doesnt seem to be close to 8m either.
Anyway the haologgood stego is too oversized for 1/35, i was very temted to buy it but comparissons with 1/35 models shows that it is ridiculously oversized, even for an outlier old individual. The estimates of 9m individuals are old outdated and isometrical scaling. If im not wrong those estimates where based on ungulatus femoras (biggest stego specimes afaik), but it is now known that adult individuals had a proportionally longer femur.

I was very excited for the fruity version but that side by side view with PNSO Allosaurus/Saurophaganax... HELL NAH 

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crggxgl1k0xo

thomasw100

The Fig. 2 in Galton (2010) shows a comparison of Stegosaurus stenops and Stegosaurus ungulatus. The scale bar is 1 meter. I measure the horizontal length of S. ungulatus in this skeletal reconstruction as about 8 meters. Accounting for the length through the centra, we arrive at 8.5 meters. The 27 feet (about 8.2 meters) size of the Apex individual is pretty much spot on with this skeletal reconstruction.

Turkeysaurus

There is possibly a bigger specimen of Saurophanax too. Nicknamed "Leviathan"

I was torn in between fruit & classic. Classic made more sense after reading some stuff about pigmentation and semi-arid savanna lookalike enviroment it lived. I hope i won't regret it.

Can't go wrong with fruit though. Most charming and unique one.

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Quiversaurus on June 24, 2024, 01:51:20 PMhttps://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crggxgl1k0xo
Quote from: thomasw100 on June 24, 2024, 02:00:09 PMThe Fig. 2 in Galton (2010) shows a comparison of Stegosaurus stenops and Stegosaurus ungulatus. The scale bar is 1 meter. I measure the horizontal length of S. ungulatus in this skeletal reconstruction as about 8 meters. Accounting for the length through the centra, we arrive at 8.5 meters. The 27 feet (about 8.2 meters) size of the Apex individual is pretty much spot on with this skeletal reconstruction.

And in many other pages the length varies from 6 (I supose linear) to 7. But it is clear from the photos that it is much smaller than the skeletal reconstruction of GS Paul. Note the level where the animals head ends.

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 24, 2024, 03:29:54 PM

There is possibly a bigger specimen of Saurophanax too. Nicknamed "Leviathan"

I was torn in between fruit & classic. Classic made more sense after reading some stuff about pigmentation and semi-arid savanna lookalike enviroment it lived. I hope i won't regret it.

Can't go wrong with fruit though. Most charming and unique one.

Saurophaganax individuals havent yer been nicknamed, not officially, the remains are mixed and very difficult to associate. The names have been spreading online are BS, one of those supposed individuals have mixed elements from different quarries, if it was for those self-proclaimed paleonerds, the poor thing's tail was living tenths of km away from the body and thousands of years in the future!
I have seen that supposed "leviathan" many times before with many different bones referred to it each time, and thats because each time the elemets referred to it were exaggerated and turned out to be a smaller animal, then they just pick another bone and exaggerate it again to repeat the story, just so they are happy having a tyranno sized Saurophaganax.
That skeletal you share there is clearly made by someone that has little knowledge about theropod anatomy because it has 24 presacral vertebrae, thats a crazy mistake, also the anterior dorsal neural spines are totally made up.

I was between the green and fruit too, green is a safe bet, looks the most natural and likely, but fruit is more eyecatching for me, also being naturally possible? blue is a little too much but still very beautiful. All 3 are very worthy of being chosen. 

thomasw100

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 03:52:40 PMAnd in many other pages the length varies from 6 (I supose linear) to 7. But it is clear from the photos that it is much smaller than the skeletal reconstruction of GS Paul. Note the level where the animals head ends.

First, several sources report the 27 feet (or 8.2 meters) size and in an article in a Swiss magazine the picture (posted below) with a true human as scale supports this. Trouble is that some articles report the length as "more than 20 feet long" which others have copied incorrectly as "20 feet long".

Second, the skeletal mount of Apex appears to have the vertebrae quite close to each other. Accounting for cartilage between the vertebrae, the length of the spinal column could be even greater.

Third, what are you talking about skeletal reconstruction of GS Paul? I referred to a peer-reviewed paper by Galton (2010) in the Swiss Journal of Geoscience. This has nothing to do whatsoever with work by G.S. Paul.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 04:21:49 PMI was between the green and fruit too, green is a safe bet, looks the most natural and likely, but fruit is more eyecatching for me, also being naturally possible? blue is a little too much but still very beautiful. All 3 are very worthy of being chosen. 

Yeah, Fruit most eye catching for me too. However when i look at how morrison formation would look like all i found semi arid african savanna lookalike environment. Earlier version was even more fitting:

I usually don't care too much about this because my logic is if stegosaurus actually found out to be brown color that would make green one as wrong as the blue one.  A green lion toy is as wrong as blue lion toy since we know their true color. Part of me wanted to keep those striking colors for other dinosaurs (more boring or similar looking dinosaurs for example) I can only have a few blue/teal dinosaurs on a shelf before it look starts obsessive.

Gwangi

I have the plain variant of Rebor's Stegosaurus and it's rather, well, plain. I think a colorful Stegosaurus is in order so I'll be happy to get the fruity one. 

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 24, 2024, 06:59:29 PM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 03:52:40 PMAnd in many other pages the length varies from 6 (I supose linear) to 7. But it is clear from the photos that it is much smaller than the skeletal reconstruction of GS Paul. Note the level where the animals head ends.

First, several sources report the 27 feet (or 8.2 meters) size and in an article in a Swiss magazine the picture (posted below) with a true human as scale supports this. Trouble is that some articles report the length as "more than 20 feet long" which others have copied incorrectly as "20 feet long".

Second, the skeletal mount of Apex appears to have the vertebrae quite close to each other. Accounting for cartilage between the vertebrae, the length of the spinal column could be even greater.

Third, what are you talking about skeletal reconstruction of GS Paul? I referred to a peer-reviewed paper by Galton (2010) in the Swiss Journal of Geoscience. This has nothing to do whatsoever with work by G.S. Paul.

1- As I said it was a genuine question as I couldn find any source reporting 27ft, most of them claimed 20ft or around 6m. It is clearly above 6m but seems also less than 8m. Anyway press is not a reliable source, how many times have been anounced 12m tyrannosaurus size theropods and turned out to be much smaller? Till the description and actual vertebrae and femur measurement I will take the claims with a grain of salt. Another claim is that is 30% bigger than Sophie which is 5,6m.

2- I was mostly referring to the height where the head is, slightly under the chest of a person, meanwhile in the skeletals and figures scaled up to 8m and 9m the head is at least at the level of a humans head or more, up to 2m. That isnt afected by vertebrae spacing.

3- The skeletals from Galton are by G.S. Paul... it has everything to do with him, as his ungulatus recons is the most used...

Sim

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 11:01:36 PM2- I was mostly referring to the height where the head is, slightly under the chest of a person, meanwhile in the skeletals and figures scaled up to 8m and 9m the head is at least at the level of a humans head or more, up to 2m. That isnt afected by vertebrae spacing.
I get the impression the guy in the photo you posted is tall, in your second image and the photo Thomas posted Apex's head is above the chest of the people.

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 24, 2024, 08:56:14 PM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 04:21:49 PMI was between the green and fruit too, green is a safe bet, looks the most natural and likely, but fruit is more eyecatching for me, also being naturally possible? blue is a little too much but still very beautiful. All 3 are very worthy of being chosen. 

Yeah, Fruit most eye catching for me too. However when i look at how morrison formation would look like all i found semi arid african savanna lookalike environment. Earlier version was even more fitting:

I usually don't care too much about this because my logic is if stegosaurus actually found out to be brown color that would make green one as wrong as the blue one.  A green lion toy is as wrong as blue lion toy since we know their true color. Part of me wanted to keep those striking colors for other dinosaurs (more boring or similar looking dinosaurs for example) I can only have a few blue/teal dinosaurs on a shelf before it look starts obsessive.

I agree, a spot of colour is very much appreciated, but when many bright colored figures are near each other it starts to be painful to my eye.

For the Morrison, it was more vegetated than current savannas, it is common to see it as analogous to todays serengeti but that is an early 2000s concept that have been changed (but the info online seems to like being outdated for 10 years cof cof wikipedia and co.). It wasnt semi arid at all, now it is seen more like El Gran Chapo region, wetter than savannas. Also Morrison expanded 9 million years and thousands of km so theres is also different biomes.
Theres a good description of Morrison Formation that explain all this changes in John Fosters book Jurassic West, highly recomended.
In short:
-many new discoveries of giant logs and trees that show no rings, so they had constant watter suply, and a good amount of water around 1500mm year.
-the arid concept is due to the analysis of rocks and polen that points to arid air, hence the old semi arid savanna like Morrison. But the basin it self was well watered thanks to ground water and streams coming from the hills to the west so the Morrison was well vegetated althoug having arid air, because the rain fell in the hills that covered the west coast and provoked a kind of rain shadow although not as much as mountains do.

Montana was coastal and humid, Colorado had hills and many lakes and ponds, Utah had streams and was more flat, and Oklahoma was more true semi arid, but that is the southernmost Morrison. There were sand dunes in south dakota but doesnt imply it was arid, it could be coastal dunes in a humid climate.

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Sim on June 24, 2024, 11:20:08 PM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 11:01:36 PM2- I was mostly referring to the height where the head is, slightly under the chest of a person, meanwhile in the skeletals and figures scaled up to 8m and 9m the head is at least at the level of a humans head or more, up to 2m. That isnt afected by vertebrae spacing.
I get the impression the guy in the photo you posted is tall, in your second image and the photo Thomas posted Apex's head is above the chest of the people.

Yes J. Cooper is tall but not above average super tall, also keep in mind that the skeleton is standing at a higher level than the ground, like ~20cm, that means that in the photo Thomas posted the head ends again at a chest level (in that case of a presumably smaller woman), far from the ~2m of the figures. 

dragon53

triceratops83

Good news, Minizoo has started stocking Haolonggood. They're looking to expand the range if this first batch sells well.

Thanks to V @vampiredesign for making this happen.

https://www.minizoo.com.au/haolonggood/all-haolonggood/
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Turkeysaurus

Ah, of course reviews coming up just after ordered mine  :)) Fruit somehow still look natural despite wacky color choice that's a testament of the quality paintjob.

I like full black glossy eyes especially on a head so small. White with dark pupil makes them uncanny (too human like?) , blue eyes are supposed to be rarity, not the norm.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 01:42:49 PMI was very excited for the fruity version but that side by side view with PNSO Allosaurus/Saurophaganax... HELL NAH 

I appreciate all the info you are feeding us with especially about natural environment which i am weak at....  BUT this is when you just forget it all say Allosaurus better hit the gym.:D

Fruit had no bussiness to be look this natural.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: