News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 13, 2024, 01:43:56 PMColors look better than promo pic however in Andys review videos contrast pops out.

Regardless darker tones give them better look and a lot less goofy looking head even though sculpt is same. Surprisingly light colored one doesn't look like Tyrannotitan now (if colors in the video close to natural)

I prefer orange one but it doesn't matter cos i can't have it.

I agree the head does look a lot better, HLG continues to hurt themselves with bad promo pics.

Carnoking

Just a heads up to anyone who may be interested, Aliexpress is having a back to school sale if you want to save a few bucks on some of these Haolonggood releases.

Primeval12

Cool! I ordered the CollectA Dreadnoughtus and the Tlatolophus (green version)

thomasw100

Recently I had some interesting e-mail conversation with Lana Time Shop. I had just received the custom 3D printed and painted Argentinosaurus in 1:35 scale and wanted to thank them for the really excellent packaging and for sorting out some delivery issues.

So I took the opportunity and asked them if they would know if Haolonggood would still release the Brachiosaurus and Argentinosaurus. They answered me that they think that Haolonggood will release them but it would take longer to prepare.

william555

Could you show us what you've got? I'm actually kind of curious

thomasw100

Dinos Dragons review of Camarasaurus:

Carnoking

They both look so lovely in hand. Ultimately, I reneged on my previous statement that I would end up going for the green variant after seeing the orange in hand but I gotta say, that decision is not without regrets.

Turkeysaurus

ceratopsian

I'm so impressed with my brown that I ordered the Green in the sale to keep it company.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 21, 2024, 08:14:22 AMI'm so impressed with my brown that I ordered the Green in the sale to keep it company.

I could not resist either, but probably should have just ordered one, in view of Haolonggood sooner or later releasing more large sauropods. Chances are high that we will get the Brachiosaurus and Argentinosaurus (even if not this year) and who knows what else they have in the making. It appears that these large 1:35 scale sauropods are selling really well and this increases the likelihood that they will produce more species.

SenSx

I'm mostly interested in the Brachiosaurus since I'm fully satisfied with the Terra Erra Patagotitan.

And I'm not even sure for the Brachiosaurus since I also own the elegant W-Dragon Giraffatitan.
I just wonder if it is still accurate with that neck with a S shape just like in Jurassic Park, when I see so many modern Brachiosaur reconstructions with a straighter and bulkier neck.

thomasw100

Quote from: SenSx on August 21, 2024, 10:28:02 AMI'm mostly interested in the Brachiosaurus since I'm fully satisfy with the Terra Erra Patagotitan.

And I'm not even sure for the Brachiosaurus since I also own the elegant W-Dragon Giraffatitan.
I just wonder if it is still accurate with that neck with a S shape just like in Jurassic Park, when I see so many modern Brachiosaur reconstructions with a straighter and bulkier neck.

I would be happy to get a Brachiosaurus from Haolonggood that would conform to newer reconstructions with a neck angle more similar to titanosaurs and also a much thicker neck. I do have the W-Dragon Giraffatitan and it is a very nice figure. But it has this classical elephantine skin texture and I am sure that Haolonggood would do a better job in this area. The head sculpt of the W-Dragon is really excellent and it remains to be seen if Haolonggood will be able to match this. I include a few more recent skeletals of Brachiosaurus and in below. One can see that Scott Hartman reconstructs them with a shallower neck angle, whereas Nima Sassani reconstructs them with a steeper neck angle.

SenSx

I would love to know which of these two posture is the current consensus, maybe there is none anyway, maybe it's still impossible to know.
But the more horizontal posture makes me think of giraffes, and looks natural to me.

And maybe the more vertical one is still possible due to neck flexibility, just not a neutral pose, making the W-Dragon Giraffatitan still accurate.

thomasw100

Quote from: SenSx on August 21, 2024, 01:12:04 PMI would love to know which of these two posture is the current consensus, maybe there is none anyway, maybe it's still impossible to know.
But the more horizontal posture makes me think of giraffes, and looks natural to me.

And maybe the more vertical one is still possible due to neck flexibility, just not a neutral pose, making the W-Dragon Giraffatitan still accurate.

From what I have read so far, I think the majority of researchers are supporting the less vertical posture as the neutral neck position when the animals were walking etc. The steeper one is considered as possible during browsing. Macronarians apparently were not as well built for rearing up as diplodocoids and therefore they would browse by raising their necks. Some researchers completely oppose any of these interpretations and suggest that sauropods would have held their necks in a nearly horizontal position, but this opinion is not supported by most of the available evidence.

thomasw100

I have read up a bit about the species assignment of Camarasaurus. Most helpful was the book by John Foster: Jurassic West, which has a neat description of all the dinosaur genera and species of the Morrison. It appears that Camarasaurus lentus, Camarasaurus grandis and Camarasaurus lewisi have a fairly similar size range and can only be distinguished based on characters on the vertebrae and differences of the neural spines and transverse processes along the spinal column, mainly in the dorsal, sacral and caudal region. There are no distinguishing features of these three species that would be recognizable in the external morphology of the animal. Camarasaurus supremus however is distinctly larger and has more robust bones. In conclusion, the Haolonggood model can represent any of the species C. lentus, C. grandis or C. lewisi, but not C. supremus.

Turkeysaurus

I'm glad (for you free folks) it has just right size for Camarasaurus. Some sources say 23 m for supremus. That wouldn't look right on a shelf next to 1/35 other sauropods.

Camarasaurus being mid size bulky sauropod compared to other giants is a signature imo.

It would be nice to have it.

postsaurischian

I have just received my green Camarasaurus. I knew that it would be good, but not THAT GOOD. It's FANTASTIC :D !

thomasw100

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 23, 2024, 12:02:10 PMI have just received my green Camarasaurus. I knew that it would be good, but not THAT GOOD. It's FANTASTIC :D !

I did get both color variants two days ago. I agree that they are both very very nice. The green one is flawless, but the brown one has a few minor paint defects. Fortunately quite minor and I think I will be able to fix this myself. Not sure if I just have bad luck but I had paint defects now few times on Haolonggood sauropods. My feeling is that they did some dry brushing when the previous layers of paint were not completely dry.

SenSx

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 23, 2024, 12:48:31 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on August 23, 2024, 12:02:10 PMI have just received my green Camarasaurus. I knew that it would be good, but not THAT GOOD. It's FANTASTIC :D !

I did get both color variants two days ago. I agree that they are both very very nice. The green one is flawless, but the brown one has a few minor paint defects. Fortunately quite minor and I think I will be able to fix this myself. Not sure if I just have bad luck but I had paint defects now few times on Haolonggood sauropods. My feeling is that they did some dry brushing when the previous layers of paint were not completely dry.

I did have some paint defects on my Mamenchisaurus' head
Well it looked like defects, but other people seemed to have the same.
I might have had more though, I managed to fix them with some wash paint.

thomasw100

Quote from: SenSx on August 23, 2024, 12:52:32 PMI did have some paint defects on my Mamenchisaurus' head
Well it looked like defects, but other people seemed to have the same.
I might have had more though, I managed to fix them with some wash paint.

In the case of the brown Camarasaurus, these are small white areas where the paint appears to have been either not applied or rubbed off. The white color is either the plastic or the primer I think. I want to cover it by using a small not completely dry dry brush. I used this in some other cases to good effect. It was much more extensive on my Alamosaurus and it was affecting an area with quite complex layers of different colors which I could not fix. I discussed with Lana Time Shop and they generously sent me a replacement copy.

It appears that there is something different with the painting process of these large Haolonggood sauropods compared to their smaller figures. I always noticed a very strong smell of paint right when they arrived which however would disappear after a few days or a week. I am not sure what would be the reason. Maybe these large figures are hand painted whereas the others are painted by robots, or they use a different type of paint or they pack them up when the paint has not fully dried.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: