News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 13, 2024, 03:24:52 AMNice!  I think Brown is my go to this time but I do like Green it just doesn't fit my mental image of Mamenchi though. A grey sort of Safari tribute would have been sweet.

Is it me or does the brown look more compact in the torso than the others? Maybe the angle?

Brown's neck looks thicker and tail looks thinner, indicating it's turned facing us a little bit. Green looks like the longest torso, so that one must be the most lateral view.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

thomasw100

The brown Mamenchisaurus is my favorite as well, and I like that this is a quite bright brown almost close to beige-brown. Lana Time Shop states that it will go on sale next week and shipping would start end of April.

Torvosaurus

I like the brown, as well. I don't like the blue coloration on dinosaurs, at all. It looks so unnatural in my mind's eye. It especially looks bad (to me at least) on this figure. Give him a cape and a big M on his chest and he could be the new Marvel Character, Marmenchiman. That is way too blue.

Torvo

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 13, 2024, 05:13:43 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 13, 2024, 03:24:52 AMNice!  I think Brown is my go to this time but I do like Green it just doesn't fit my mental image of Mamenchi though. A grey sort of Safari tribute would have been sweet.

Is it me or does the brown look more compact in the torso than the others? Maybe the angle?

Brown's neck looks thicker and tail looks thinner, indicating it's turned facing us a little bit. Green looks like the longest torso, so that one must be the most lateral view.

That's probably it then. We'll get more pics when it goes on sale too that will show more.

I like they are waiting til almost ready to be released to offer it up for sale.

Blue is usually a color I like to use sparingly? Or to accentuate something. I think it worked well on the Alamosaurus, which is the version I purchased.

These would have made some nice color schemes, a flat greyish tone with a little blue highlight and the last pic with the reddish on the head.

SenSx

I can understand people like the natural brown color more.
But I alwready have so many brown sauropods, I'll go for the blue or green.

ceratopsian

Probably blue for me.  I like the green very much too but I think it's too similar to some things I already have.

SenSx

The blue is more appealing to me as well.
Although I would definitely need more green dinosaurs, this is supposed to be common color on dino figures and I don't have much green ones for some reason.

ceratopsian

The neck pattern and colour would look amazing on a model.  Thanks avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 13, 2024, 06:38:30 AM......

thomasw100

I would have one suggestion to Haolongood. They may consider to not show prototypes with paleoartist quality paint applications of their models at exhibitions and on social media if the final paint application is going to be much less complex and elaborate. This works to create unrealistic expectations which the released models then cannot fully meet for obvious reasons. Of course everybody understands that Haolonggood cannot produce regular models with paloeartist quality paint application in large quantities and with the current moderate price of their models. A feasible option would be that they offer the limited edition with the much more complex paint application at a higher price. For my part, I am very happy with the light brown version of the Mamenchisaurus which will look great alongside the Alamosaurus. But the paint scheme of the exhibition prototype was just so good. I would have loved to get this one.

Carnoking

I'm glad I didn't get the blue Alamosaurus because I am loving that blue variant!

Gonna be a tough choice between it and the brown though. I'll echo what others are saying in that brown just makes sense for Mamenchisaurus to me and that the blue variant, though striking, might be a bit too blue at the end of the day.

Decisions, decisions.

Concavenator

Based on the teaser image, I'm liking HLG's Styracosaurus and Diabloceratops a lot. I'll probably replace both PNSO's Styracosaurus and Safari's Diabloceratops with HLG's if they are in true 1:35 scale (which they'll probably be, because HLG is doing a great job at making relatively small species in actual 1:35 scale), as good as those figures by PNSO and Safari also are. Here's to hoping they will be colorful as well, I think we can take a break from brown dinos for a while!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 13, 2024, 10:43:56 AMI would have one suggestion to Haolongood. They may consider to not show prototypes with paleoartist quality paint applications of their models at exhibitions and on social media if the final paint application is going to be much less complex and elaborate. This works to create unrealistic expectations which the released models then cannot fully meet for obvious reasons. Of course everybody understands that Haolonggood cannot produce regular models with paloeartist quality paint application in large quantities and with the current moderate price of their models. A feasible option would be that they offer the limited edition with the much more complex paint application at a higher price. For my part, I am very happy with the light brown version of the Mamenchisaurus which will look great alongside the Alamosaurus. But the paint scheme of the exhibition prototype was just so good. I would have loved to get this one.

A lot of companies do this so I can't fault them for it.  That's why you will always see " product may differ from image shown" because all toy companies use prototypes to start advertising. You could always have it repainted though.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 13, 2024, 10:43:56 AMI would have one suggestion to Haolongood. They may consider to not show prototypes with paleoartist quality paint applications of their models at exhibitions and on social media if the final paint application is going to be much less complex and elaborate. This works to create unrealistic expectations which the released models then cannot fully meet for obvious reasons. Of course everybody understands that Haolonggood cannot produce regular models with paloeartist quality paint application in large quantities and with the current moderate price of their models. A feasible option would be that they offer the limited edition with the much more complex paint application at a higher price. For my part, I am very happy with the light brown version of the Mamenchisaurus which will look great alongside the Alamosaurus. But the paint scheme of the exhibition prototype was just so good. I would have loved to get this one.

I agree, As a PNSO fan I do find it funny seeing so many people liking the brown version the most(the cries for more color stop). I also like the brown the best, if the blue was a little more dull maybe I'd like that one more. Overall I still think this will be my first Haolongood because the sculpt is that good but I am a little disappointed in the paint scheme, but maybe more photos and a cheep price will make me feel better.

Carnoking

I will say, it's very nice to see a less busy design across the board. No random squiggles or spots of color to disrupt the otherwise smooth paint application.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Carnoking on April 13, 2024, 05:57:45 PMI will say, it's very nice to see a less busy design across the board. No random squiggles or spots of color to disrupt the otherwise smooth paint application.

Legit one of the main things that stopped me from getting that alamo, the white stripes also aint doing it for me on the green mamenchi. I think the simpler browns will help this blend into my pnso collection, I just hope the sculpting is slightly more refined from the alamo, or at least close enough to also blend in with the pnso's

Concavenator

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Concavenator on April 13, 2024, 06:17:02 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 13, 2024, 06:13:55 PMclose enough to also blend in with the pnso's

Undoubtely.

Cant lie besides scale it also just looks better, more bulk and a more appealing face

Flaffy

Brown for me as well. Green is easily the weakest of the bunch. Blue looks serviceable but nothing spectacular imo.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Honestly, I really like the blue variant, I'm a sucker for a well done blue dinosaur and the red head is such a nice touch.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 13, 2024, 05:53:46 PM

I agree, As a PNSO fan I do find it funny seeing so many people liking the brown version the most(the cries for more color stop). I also like the brown the best, if the blue was a little more dull maybe I'd like that one more. Overall I still think this will be my first Haolongood because the sculpt is that good but I am a little disappointed in the paint scheme, but maybe more photos and a cheep price will make me feel better.

Given the options I think it's understandable. Color and patterns are fantastic when pulled off well say like the limited edition pieces. I'd certainly pay more to get those paint jobs but you have to consider does everyone else want to? In general I think not, so they are aiming to keep an acceptable price point.  You would never see PNSO produce sauropods in this scale.  I actually like pieces that stand out and are unique but I did just buy a bluish Alamosaurus and another greenish titanosaur so brown it is this go round I think. Might be the lighting but it might be a brownish body with grey on top?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: