News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: MLMjp on January 15, 2024, 11:42:18 PM
Quote from: thebermuda303 on January 15, 2024, 06:46:24 PMI'm confident in this figure being E.annectens reconstructed heavily using regalis. There is no chance that skull is from E.regalis, it's way too narrow and thin. Pnso went the collecta route and made a composite of both species that technically can be used as both. While collecta made their edmonto's head look somewhat like a mix of both species, pnso clearly gave theirs E.annectens skull.
Quote from: edu on January 15, 2024, 11:24:29 PMI like it a lot. As others have said, that's Annectens with a -speculative, why not- comb.

It's not annectencs, the skull is neither flat or long enough to represent an adult annectens, the beak makes it look more elongated than in truly is, but remember that the beak has a keratinous extension over the one present in the skull

Look at this close up:

And now look at these skulls:

look at the brow ridges
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

edu

That's it, IMO not deep enough for regalis. Well, it's a great reconstruction either way.

Quiversaurus

It looks like E. annectens to me, from this particular comparison - gracile and not as deep, as E @edu mentioned. But perhaps this is again a similar case as with their Iguanodon, that they've referenced a particular specimen? Maybe Zhao Chuang will explain this in the usual feature video. Will wait to find out!

thomasw100

The head sculpt could be inspired by this reconstruction from the work of Csotonyi et al. (2014).

Quiversaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 16, 2024, 12:03:41 PMThe head sculpt could be inspired by this reconstruction from the work of Csotonyi et al. (2014).

Thanks T @thomasw100 , found the article which references it as E.regalis:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982213013948

Blade-of-the-Moon

If they were going to use that artwork I think they should have stuck a little closer to it? The lower beak part is totally obscured by how far the upper one extends. Not to mention the shape is off a bit, not as downturned as it is.

The more  I look at it the more I find elements of both or just some odd decisions. Even age could play a factor here I guess.

Leyster

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2024, 01:43:51 AMThe dip in the tail appears to be a real feature of Ankylosaurus, as shown here: https://www.deviantart.com/getawaytrike/art/Heavy-armored-special-615655175

avatar_Sim @Sim, the dip in the tail might have been present, but there's an huge difference between said skeletal and the PNSO model in the angle of said dip. Is like justifying a Carcharodontosaurus or Giganotosaurus restoration which uses the old skulls saying that after all, the skulls are not complete and Carcharodontosaurids have elongated skulls. Both are true, but those restorations are still not supported. Yes but not, as a friend of mine says.

Rather, I can't help but wonder how much of said dip might be due to warping inside the boxes, the tail tip of Sede feels sightly flexible to me.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

It might be dependant on slight warping, as I've seen PNSO Ankylosaurus with different degrees of dipping in the tail.

Ivántirrophus

Does anyone know why some PNSO figures cannot buy in some countries? Im from Mexico city and I cant see the new Spinosaurus on Pnso Aliexpress website  :(  :-\

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Ivántirrophus on January 17, 2024, 03:21:49 AMDoes anyone know why some PNSO figures cannot buy in some countries? Im from Mexico city and I cant see the new Spinosaurus on Pnso Aliexpress website  :(  :-\
I had the same issue (also from Mexico City (hola paisano jaja)), and from another discussion in the Paleofiguras' group, the Acrocanthosaurus and the recently renewed Museum line Yangchuanosaurus-Chungkingosaurus diorama's post has also the same problem. You can see them on mobile, but they won't display further. Maybe if you contact them in private they can explain themselves.
If not, ordering directly from LanaTimeShop is a good idea. It is only 8 USD in shipping, usual in Museum line items.

Fembrogon

I just want to point out that the skeletal they're using in the illustrations looks exactly like an Edmontosaurus regalis, sourced from Xing H, Mallon JC, Currie ML (2017) by the looks of it:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/figure?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0175253.g002

Just to muddy the waters further...  :P

DefinitelyNOTDilo

To provide a case for the opposite, pnso dropped a how to draw vid 6 months ago featuring an edmontosaurus being hunted by a tyrannosaurus. Since it was living alongside Rex, it was clearly annectens, and it had the distinctively shaped crest on this pnso edmonto.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

As if the matter wasn't already confusing enough

thomasw100

Lana Time Shop has now the PNSO Edmontosaurus ready for purchase. The price will be 49.99 USD. Shipping should start on 30 January.

https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/new-arrial/products/pnso80

SRF

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 17, 2024, 06:36:37 AMTo provide a case for the opposite, pnso dropped a how to draw vid 6 months ago featuring an edmontosaurus being hunted by a tyrannosaurus. Since it was living alongside Rex, it was clearly annectens, and it had the distinctively shaped crest on this pnso edmonto.

This design for Edmontosaurus is also shown in other artwork from PNSO together with T. rex and I believe Torosaurus.
But today, I'm just being father

shahinos

Apart from the price, there's one thing that stops me from buying this and that's the huge overbite. It looks like Zoidberg from Futurama...

postsaurischian

Quote from: shahinos on January 17, 2024, 09:30:52 AM....... it looks like Zoidberg from Futurama...

???  No it doesn't.

edu

Quote from: shahinos on January 17, 2024, 09:30:52 AMApart from the price, there's one thing that stops me from buying this and that's the huge overbite. It looks like Zoidberg from Futurama...

And i find it so appealing!
It's that weirdness that makes it more interesting to me. Pnso is going in a route of reconstructing craneal remains in ways that are not the traditional ones, and i find it more interesting. Another example, the Alamo head.

shahinos

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 17, 2024, 10:03:42 AM
Quote from: shahinos on January 17, 2024, 09:30:52 AM....... it looks like Zoidberg from Futurama...

???  No it doesn't.

It kinda does 😃 disregard that Zoid's overbite is more like a moustache (?), obviously.

Fembrogon

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 17, 2024, 07:04:55 AMLana Time Shop has now the PNSO Edmontosaurus ready for purchase. The price will be 49.99 USD. Shipping should start on 30 January.

https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/new-arrial/products/pnso80
That's not bad, about the same as the Carcharodontosaurus or Dicraeosaurus regularly. Now to see if HLG's price compares...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: