News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 17, 2024, 07:04:55 AMThe price will be 49.99 USD.

Ah yes, cheaper than the Tsintaosaurus:)

Flaffy

Quote from: Concavenator on January 17, 2024, 02:24:35 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on January 17, 2024, 07:04:55 AMThe price will be 49.99 USD.

I don't think anyone can reasonably defend the price of the Museum Series Tsintaosaurus after this point. This is the final nail in the coffin for that debate. $60 is just not worth all the bells and whistles, unecessary booklets and scrap paper shoved in the box.

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on January 17, 2024, 02:45:21 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 17, 2024, 02:24:35 PM

I don't think anyone can reasonably defend the price of the Museum Series Tsintaosaurus after this point. This is the final nail in the coffin for that debate. $60 is just not worth all the bells and whistles, unecessary booklets and scrap paper shoved in the box.
Agreed. I stated this before that PNSO probably realized their museum line Tsintoasaurus wasn't selling too well due to the price. Resulting in this Edmontosaurus not being a museum line figure.

I even noticed Happy Hen Toys at one point had to lower their price of the Tsintoasaurus assuming it was not selling too well due to the $60 retail price.

Gwangi

Fifty bucks isn't terrible for a large PNSO figure these days and I bet if you're patient you can get it closer to $40. I would pay that price for a good Edmontosaurus but based on what I've seen, I already prefer Haolonggood's, which will no doubt be cheaper.

edu

Quote from: Gwangi on January 17, 2024, 03:51:04 PMI would pay that price for a good Edmontosaurus but based on what I've seen, I already prefer Haolonggood's, which will no doubt be cheaper.

Just curious... don't you prefer a novel reconstruction as the one by Pnso, with that big rampotheca and the novel aproach to cheeks, than the more conventional one by Hlg?
I am really excited for this guy!  ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: edu on January 17, 2024, 05:12:57 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 17, 2024, 03:51:04 PMI would pay that price for a good Edmontosaurus but based on what I've seen, I already prefer Haolonggood's, which will no doubt be cheaper.

Just curious... don't you prefer a novel reconstruction as the one by Pnso, with that big rampotheca and the novel aproach to cheeks, than the more conventional one by Hlg?
I am really excited for this guy!  ;D

I like those things about it. I don't necessarily prefer them but they do make the figure standout. There's nothing wrong with the conventual approach either. In my mind's eye, Edmontosaurus looks more like the HLG one. Also, there are things I prefer about Haolonggood's, including the paintjob and overall posture. Maybe the final product will make me flip back over to PNSO. We'll see. In an ideal world I would just buy both but shelf space is limited and I'm trying not to repeat genera too much. I love them both though. I was all set to get PNSO's before I saw Haolonggood's and it's a tough call between them. As I said, price is a factor too.

thomasw100

Paleofiguras posted some first in hand pictures of the Edmontosaurus:

Bread

T @thomasw100 darn beat me to it!

Thank you for uploading these!

I just wanted to add this image of the packaging. Seems like they went with styrofoam this time? Odd as it's usually with their museum line figures. Also a little paint worn on the front limb if you can see, but in my opinion isn't a big deal.

This figure looks incredible and I'm super happy with PNSO's return of ornithopods!

Flaffy

I still don't see how Cameron needed to be $75 when the Edmontosaurus is $50, a whooping $25 cheaper.

Though on the other hand I guess the revenue generated from selling T. rex figures goes back into the R&D of less popular species in the future.

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 19, 2024, 12:49:10 PM

Carnoking

SRF

Quote from: Bread on January 19, 2024, 12:57:55 PMT @thomasw100 darn beat me to it!

Thank you for uploading these!

I just wanted to add this image of the packaging. Seems like they went with styrofoam this time? Odd as it's usually with their museum line figures. Also a little paint worn on the front limb if you can see, but in my opinion isn't a big deal.

This figure looks incredible and I'm super happy with PNSO's return of ornithopods!

The Deinocheirus has the same kind of packaging, even though that one isn't in the Museum line as well.

That Edmontosaurus looks great! And it seems to be as big as we've hoped.

But today, I'm just being father

Faelrin

I just realized, this is their first hadrosaur with the updated neck muscles, etc? I know the Parasaurolophus did not have that when I reviewed it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Quote from: Faelrin on January 19, 2024, 02:40:16 PMI just realized, this is their first hadrosaur with the updated neck muscles, etc? I know the Parasaurolophus did not have that when I reviewed it.

Hate to keep bringing up the Tsintaosaurus but it most definitely had the chunky neck.

Concavenator

Quote from: Flaffy on January 19, 2024, 12:58:50 PMI still don't see how Cameron needed to be $75 when the Edmontosaurus is $50, a whooping $25 cheaper.

Easy peasy, because it's a Museum Line figure, and so characteristically overpriced. It's not like the Prehistoric Animal Series is cheap, either, but the Museum Line's overpricing is openly blatant.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking is right, the Tsintaosaurus' neck appears to be based on Bertozzo et al. 2020. And I'm not sure if the Iguanodon as well (even if it's not a hadrosaurid).

Bread

Quote from: Carnoking on January 19, 2024, 02:48:34 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on January 19, 2024, 02:40:16 PMI just realized, this is their first hadrosaur with the updated neck muscles, etc? I know the Parasaurolophus did not have that when I reviewed it.

Hate to keep bringing up the Tsintaosaurus but it most definitely had the chunky neck.
To make matters worse, the "chunky neck" of the Tsintoasaurus may just be due to the proportional issues it has. According to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres scale estimates "The head is something like 1:45 - 1:50, whereas based on what I could find for postcranial elements, the body is somewhere between 1:35 and 1:40." (Halichoeres, 2022).

Edit: This statement above regarding my assumption that the Tsintoasaurus' head to body ratio affects the look of the correct "thick neck" being present, may be wrong. Someone care to add? Thank you!

*Sighs* With this new lovely Edmontosaurus, it just makes me wish the Tsintoasaurus was more affordable as it too has its charms.

Eatmycar

Shame its colors look so washed out... But it certainly looks like it can take a T. rex on (and win), which is a huge plus in my eyes.

Ambre

OK, am I crazy or does the edmontosaurus looks bad? Maybe it's the lack of cheeks that I find disturbing, but it just finds the model to be ugly. The body is fine, but that head looks weird. I'm not educated enough about hadrosaurs to say if it's accurate, but it looks uncanny to me

Quiversaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 19, 2024, 12:49:10 PM

I really like the size of the Edmontosaurus compared to Cameron here... What a magnificent beast.

edu

Quote from: Ambre on January 19, 2024, 05:46:26 PMOK, am I crazy or does the edmontosaurus looks bad? Maybe it's the lack of cheeks that I find disturbing, but it just finds the model to be ugly. The body is fine, but that head looks weird. I'm not educated enough about hadrosaurs to say if it's accurate, but it looks uncanny to me

It's the way oral anatomy has been reconstructed, following the paper from a while back about ornithischian oral anatomy. It's not the traditional way, it doesn't have "cheeks".

marisaura

Quote from: Ambre on January 19, 2024, 05:46:26 PMOK, am I crazy or does the edmontosaurus looks bad? Maybe it's the lack of cheeks that I find disturbing, but it just finds the model to be ugly. The body is fine, but that head looks weird. I'm not educated enough about hadrosaurs to say if it's accurate, but it looks uncanny to me

i feel the same way, but for me, as silly as it sounds, the tiny blue eyes kinda freak me out lmao. they remind me of a scallop.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: