News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebermuda303

I'm confident in this figure being E.annectens reconstructed heavily using regalis. There is no chance that skull is from E.regalis, it's way too narrow and thin. Pnso went the collecta route and made a composite of both species that technically can be used as both. While collecta made their edmonto's head look somewhat like a mix of both species, pnso clearly gave theirs E.annectens skull.

thomasw100

The Edmontosaurus looks indeed very nice. I am very much happy with the paint application, it fits well along with the other PNSO hadrosaurs. Do we actually have skin impressions from the neck area of Edmontosaurus that would show these much coarser scales? And is the shape of that crest really as flowery as PNSO has modeled it?

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 15, 2024, 07:18:06 PMThe Edmontosaurus looks indeed very nice. I am very much happy with the paint application, it fits well along with the other PNSO hadrosaurs. Do we actually have skin impressions from the neck area of Edmontosaurus that would show these much coarser scales? And is the shape of that crest really as flowery as PNSO has modeled it?

This is an image I've been seeing people use that showcases the larger neck scales. I'm not very good at 'reading' images from scientific papers so take this with a grain of salt. I'm sure there's folks here who could provide better information here but I figured I'd share what I've got.

* (It's locked.)

Sim

Quote from: thebermuda303 on January 15, 2024, 06:46:24 PMI'm confident in this figure being E.annectens reconstructed heavily using regalis. There is no chance that skull is from E.regalis, it's way too narrow and thin. Pnso went the collecta route and made a composite of both species that technically can be used as both. While collecta made their edmonto's head look somewhat like a mix of both species, pnso clearly gave theirs E.annectens skull.
The PNSO figure's skull looks more like that of E. regalis than that of E. annectens looking at the comparison below:
  (Image source)

Perotorum

Quote from: Faelrin on January 15, 2024, 04:53:55 PMavatar_Perotorum @Perotorum I meant insofar as mass produced figures go. I'm sure there's lots of things of that nature, or others out there (such as Ancestors), but they typically remain outside my purview.

Fair enough, I still strongly recomend to any collector to get a 3d printer, there are many affordable or free model files and it pays for itself very easily, ones such as the Ender 3 are fairly affordable and do a decent job.

cryolophosaurus

Anyone else mixed on this figure? On one hand, it's a new edmontosaurus figure! On the other hand, it's regalis yet again (or maybe a mix of the two species, similar to the iguanodon figure with the mantellisaurus skull). The scale detail is amazing as always and the paint applications too, but I think I'll hold out till that rumored HLG edmonto is revealed. Here's hoping that one is annectens.

Joel1905

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on January 15, 2024, 05:26:04 PMLast one for now, but an alternate version of the Hell Creek comparison for the folks who are more inclined to believe the height estimates for Zabad.

Enjoy!

Oh man, we really need an updated Ankylosaurus and a lipped Tyrannosaurus now! Quetzalcoatlus would be the cherry on the cake.

Sim

Quote from: Joel1905 on January 15, 2024, 09:30:45 PMOh man, we really need an updated Ankylosaurus and a lipped Tyrannosaurus now!
I actually think you're in the minority regarding wanting a new Ankylosaurus from PNSO.  Personally, I think it would be terrible for PNSO to make a new Ankylosaurus (their current one is excellent, doesn't need updating and is the best version of the animal out there), or a new Tyrannosaurus (their last one one is still very recent and is excellent too).  I would prefer PNSO made new species instead of continously remaking species and making the previous versions they made a waste of money for those who bought them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on January 15, 2024, 09:04:11 PMAnyone else mixed on this figure? On one hand, it's a new edmontosaurus figure! On the other hand, it's regalis yet again (or maybe a mix of the two species, similar to the iguanodon figure with the mantellisaurus skull). The scale detail is amazing as always and the paint applications too, but I think I'll hold out till that rumored HLG edmonto is revealed. Here's hoping that one is annectens.

I skipped the Iguanadon whatever it is just because of that combining myself. This one look like Regalis to me but so much has changed with hadrosaurs and the way they are interpreted it gets VERY confusing.   I kinda think the tissue behind the thigh leading to the tail muscle looks a bit weird to me?

Quote from: Sim on January 15, 2024, 09:45:34 PM
Quote from: Joel1905 on January 15, 2024, 09:30:45 PMOh man, we really need an updated Ankylosaurus and a lipped Tyrannosaurus now!
I actually think you're in the minority regarding wanting a new Ankylosaurus from PNSO.  Personally, I think it would be terrible for PNSO to make a new Ankylosaurus (their current one is excellent, doesn't need updating and is the best version of the animal out there), or a new Tyrannosaurus (their last one one is still very recent and is excellent too).  I would prefer PNSO made new species instead of continously remaking species and making the previous versions they made a waste of money for those who bought them.

I like my current PNSO Ankylosaurus, it's even a washed out version, makes it look like it has dust all over it from a dry environment.  I know everyone wants a lipped variant of tyrannosaurus and I'm sure it's coming eventually.

MLMjp

Quote from: Gwangi on January 15, 2024, 05:15:51 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 15, 2024, 05:14:23 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 15, 2024, 03:35:53 PMI forgot that HLG was going to also release an Edmontosaurus. It might be a good idea to wait and see what they're offering.
That's good advice. In either case, PNSO or HLG Edmontosaurus, this will retire my CollectA one.

Ideally, HLG will make the other species and I can get both!  ^-^
That would be the perfect scenario, please HLG don't disappoint us...

Joel1905

I'm not sure if you're aware of the new paper regarding Ankylosaurus' tail, but it's quite an important change. Also PNSO's texturing has come a long way since that Ankylosaurus.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Joel1905 on January 15, 2024, 11:07:40 PMI'm not sure if you're aware of the new paper regarding Ankylosaurus' tail, but it's quite an important change. Also PNSO's texturing has come a long way since that Ankylosaurus.
Haven't heard of that paper. Could you give a summary of what's changed exactly?
* (It's locked.)

edu

I like it a lot. As others have said, that's Annectens with a -speculative, why not- comb.

MLMjp

Quote from: thebermuda303 on January 15, 2024, 06:46:24 PMI'm confident in this figure being E.annectens reconstructed heavily using regalis. There is no chance that skull is from E.regalis, it's way too narrow and thin. Pnso went the collecta route and made a composite of both species that technically can be used as both. While collecta made their edmonto's head look somewhat like a mix of both species, pnso clearly gave theirs E.annectens skull.
Quote from: edu on January 15, 2024, 11:24:29 PMI like it a lot. As others have said, that's Annectens with a -speculative, why not- comb.

It's not annectencs, the skull is neither flat or long enough to represent an adult annectens, the beak makes it look more elongated than in truly is, but remember that the beak has a keratinous extension over the one present in the skull

Look at this close up:

And now look at these skulls:

SidB

With you on all of these counts, avatar_Sim @Sim . Other than the slight dip at the end of the Ankylosaurus' tail, it's by far the best that I have. surpassing the excellent (but arguably outdated) Safari. Cameron is the best mass-produced rex so far, IMO, and I've taken the additional step of having Bravo Models add lips to him, as I've posted in the new acquisitions thread. It cost me some money, but to gild the lily, to improve what was already the best on the market, it was worth the additional expense. There are SO MANY new genera to be considered by PNSO, I really hope that they go down that path and eschew any more re-jigging of previous sculpts for the near future. I'm okay with the new Spino and certainly plan to get it (it's a nice color complement to Essian 2.0), but no more of those, PLEASE.

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on January 15, 2024, 05:15:51 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 15, 2024, 05:14:23 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 15, 2024, 03:35:53 PMI forgot that HLG was going to also release an Edmontosaurus. It might be a good idea to wait and see what they're offering.
That's good advice. In either case, PNSO or HLG Edmontosaurus, this will retire my CollectA one.

Ideally, HLG will make the other species and I can get both!  ^-^
Always good to have your cake and eat it too, I'd say!

Sim

The dip in the tail appears to be a real feature of Ankylosaurus, as shown here: https://www.deviantart.com/getawaytrike/art/Heavy-armored-special-615655175

I agree that Cameron is the best Tyrannosaurus figure.

Responding to another member, the skull of the PNSO Iguanodon is based on a real specimen of Iguanodon.  This was shown by either L @Leyster or avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx.

Pliosaurking

Well they are certainly coming into the new year strong, that Edmontosaurus is gorgeous!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

With this and all the other incredible new figures that dropped this year, I feel like I entered this hobby at just the right time!

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on January 16, 2024, 12:03:59 AM
With you on all of these counts, avatar_Sim @Sim . Other than the slight dip at the end of the Ankylosaurus' tail, it's by far the best that I have. surpassing the excellent (but arguably outdated) Safari. Cameron is the best mass-produced rex so far, IMO, and I've taken the additional step of having Bravo Models add lips to him, as I've posted in the new acquisitions thread. It cost me some money, but to gild the lily, to improve what was already the best on the market, it was worth the additional expense. There are SO MANY new genera to be considered by PNSO, I really hope that they go down that path and eschew any more re-jigging of previous sculpts for the near future. I'm okay with the new Spino and certainly plan to get it (it's a nice color complement to Essian 2.0), but no more of those, PLEASE.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. On one hand indeed there are so many genera that would need a high quality model and PNSO could easily spend the next five years releasing just the most important ones. On the other hand, PNSO has so much refined the quality of their sculpts culminating in the amazing fine detail we see in the most recent releases like for example Spinosaurus, Alamosaurus and Saurophaganax. Also the Zuul has a great sculpt, even if the paint scheme is a bit more plain than what one would expect from PNSO now. So I would not mind if PNSO would make updates of at least some of the more iconic species that they released earlier, including for example Ankylosaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, Sinoceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus. Further to that I would say that the difference in sculpt quality between the earlier releases and what they released in the last two or three years was a major quantum leap, but the difference between what they released in 2021-2022 and now in 2023 is noticeable but of a much smaller magnitude. They have matured their style in 2021-2022 and therefore these models would not deserve an update in my view. Theropod lips is of course a completely different story and I expect a new T-rex to come out this year.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: