News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeysaurus

Spoiler

[close]

You can check out PNSO Carcharodontosaurids sizes compared to eachother here. I used spoiler because big size of the pics.(Credit: Paleofiguras Facebook)

suspsy

I hope that PNSO starts releasing abelisaurids this year. They've done enough tyrannosaurids and carcharodontosaurids by now, and they did a good job with Carnotaurus, so how about churning out the likes of Abelisaurus, Majungasaurus, and Rajasaurus?
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Carnoking

Quote from: suspsy on June 04, 2024, 05:48:35 PMI hope that PNSO starts releasing abelisaurids this year. They've done enough tyrannosaurids and carcharodontosaurids by now, and they did a good job with Carnotaurus, so how about churning out the likes of Abelisaurus, Majungasaurus, and Rajasaurus?

Hear, hear!

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: SenSx on June 02, 2024, 07:38:38 PMHaha after seing the fantastic paint job, I have been wondering the same.
But It probably does not have the correct Giganotosaurus proportions, Tyrannotitan is bulkier.
Also this figure seems really by, it might fit with the Rebor T-rex, but probably not with the PNSO one, which is shame.

So it can make Giganotosaurus substitute.  8)

Flaffy

According to people more knowledgable on Carcharodontosaurids, PNSO's Tyrannotitan figure unfortunately does not reflect fossil material.

Q: "What makes TTT stand out from other giganotosaurines?"

A: "Well, the dorsal column articulates in an arch. Depictions which gave it a straight dorsal column similar to Giganotosaurus mounts ended up disarticulating the preserved dorsals. There's also a noticeable notch over the posterior dorsals. 

I actually tried to flatten the back curvature as much as I reasonably could in my WIP reconstruction. It could have been very well somewhat more hunchbacked than this.

I can pretty much confidently say that the figure is inaccurate to the fossil material of Tyrannotitan"
- SpinoInWonderland

Any thoughts?

Sim

Quote from: Flaffy on June 06, 2024, 10:01:14 PMAny thoughts?
I wonder if the PNSO Tyrannotitan's back could avoid being inaccurate if it had fat deposits there, a possible condition in the back of Acrocanthosaurus.  Also: I think PNSO's Tyrannotitan shouldn't have been made and I find it frustrating PNSO makes pointless figures like it while ignoring most of the prehistoric animals I like (dromaeosaurids, plesiosauroids, rhamphorhynchids...).

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on June 06, 2024, 10:24:42 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on June 06, 2024, 10:01:14 PMAny thoughts?
I wonder if the PNSO Tyrannotitan's back could avoid being inaccurate if it had fat deposits there, a possible condition in the back of Acrocanthosaurus.  Also: I think PNSO's Tyrannotitan shouldn't have been made and I find it frustrating PNSO makes pointless figures like it while ignoring most of the prehistoric animals I like (dromaeosaurids, plesiosauroids, rhamphorhynchids...).

Thats an awfully selfish way of seeing things, what if someone really wanted a tyrannotitan? I also don't much care for this figure but I'm happy for anyone who wanted it

Sim

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 06, 2024, 10:54:09 PMThats an awfully selfish way of seeing things, what if someone really wanted a tyrannotitan? I also don't much care for this figure but I'm happy for anyone who wanted it
No, it's not selfish.  PNSO has made a lot of basically identical carcharodontosaurids.  Do you really think it's selfish to want species that one likes to be represented instead of yet another of the same?  If anyone really wanted a Tyrannotitan, well they've got it now!  It's not like what I said affects it getting made.  Additionally, as I said there was a number of essentially identical carcharodontosaurid figures from PNSO, so there hasn't been a lack of the type of animal Tyrannotitan is.  Oh, and I said I was happy for a member that wanted Tyrannotitan earlier in this thread.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on June 06, 2024, 11:02:16 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 06, 2024, 10:54:09 PMThats an awfully selfish way of seeing things, what if someone really wanted a tyrannotitan? I also don't much care for this figure but I'm happy for anyone who wanted it
No, it's not selfish.  PNSO has made a lot of basically identical carcharodontosaurids.  Do you really think it's selfish to want species that one likes to be represented instead of yet another of the same?  If anyone really wanted a Tyrannotitan, well they've got it now!  It's not like what I said affects it getting made.  Additionally, as I said there was a number of essentially identical carcharodontosaurid figures from PNSO, so there hasn't been a lack of the type of animal Tyrannotitan is.  Oh, and I said I was happy for a member that wanted Tyrannotitan earlier in this thread.

didn't see that previous post, i still stand by what i said but i understand your perspective as well either way hopefully next release will be more diverse.

Ludodactylus

Has PNSO done any pterosaurs - rhamphorhynchine or otherwise - outside of the minis line?

It seems like they're focusing on animals 15-20' long and up for the main line of figures. And it kind of feels like we're seeing some niche speciation in action: Haolonggood is knocking it out of the park with herbivorous dinosaurs while PNSO has emphasized carnivores. Obviously not exclusively carnivores, but enough that their non-theropod offerings stand out.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Sim

I'd like to add that I genuinely think releases like this Tyrannotitan make the hobby worse.  It's the opposite of diversity, giving more of what is already there by the same company while again ignoring other interesting types of animals.  PNSO's Meraxes, Mapusaurus, Giganotosaurus and Tyrannotitan are basically the same figure with different poses and colourations.  Diversity is what makes life interesting.  I'm genuinely happy for people who like this Tyrannotitan, but that doesn't change what I feel about the figure.

Quote from: Ludodactylus on June 06, 2024, 11:31:44 PMHas PNSO done any pterosaurs - rhamphorhynchine or otherwise - outside of the minis line?
Not as plastic figures.  And they've never made a long-tailed pterosaur.

Turkeysaurus

It would be awkward to have all those large carcharodontosaurids except Tyrannotitan for some reason.

Most dinosarus look like eachother so i don't understand why Tyrannotitan is the unnecessary one. Torosaurus & Triceratops.. Saurophaganax & Allosaurus.. Tyrannosaurus , Tarbosaurus , Zhuchengtyrannus.. Albertosaurus , Gorgosaurus , Daspletosaurus... Nodosaurs, Anklosaurs etc.

There might many reason why they prefer to produce one dinosaur instead of other. For example maybe They think smaller dinosaurs can't have level of detail & painting quality of PNSO level or maybe it's not worth effort & money wise to produce small dinosaurs just like we didn't get 1/35 Alamosaurus, Mamenchisaurus from PNSO.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Sim on June 06, 2024, 11:45:19 PM PNSO's Meraxes, Mapusaurus, Giganotosaurus and Tyrannotitan are basically the same figure with different poses and colourations.  [/b

Now when you say it like that it sounds great compared to Haolonggood giving different coloration of the same pose.. of the same animal.  :D

Sim

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 07, 2024, 12:10:37 AMIt would be awkward to have all those large carcharodontosaurids except Tyrannotitan for some reason.
I don't think so.  One could just enjoy what has been made.  It's not awkward to be missing species from other groups, so why would it be for carcharodontosaurids?  I also think the PNSO Mapusaurus was an unnecessary figure.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 07, 2024, 12:10:37 AMMost dinosarus look like eachother so i don't understand why Tyrannotitan is the unnecessary one. Torosaurus & Triceratops.. Saurophaganax & Allosaurus.. Tyrannosaurus , Tarbosaurus , Zhuchengtyrannus.. Albertosaurus , Gorgosaurus , Daspletosaurus... Nodosaurs, Anklosaurs etc.
I think for some people Tyrannotitan is unnecessary because its appearance isn't known, and PNSO has already produced three nearly identical figures.  It's  boring.  Also, the appearance of Saurophaganax and Zhuchengtyrannus isn't known, it just gets based on Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus respectively.  And nodosaurids and ankylosaurids tend to look different.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 07, 2024, 12:10:37 AMThere might many reason why they prefer to produce one dinosaur instead of other. For example maybe They think smaller dinosaurs can't have level of detail & painting quality of PNSO level or maybe it's not worth effort & money wise to produce small dinosaurs just like we didn't get 1/35 Alamosaurus, Mamenchisaurus from PNSO.
Smaller species done at a larger scale can have the level of detail and paint quality we're used to from PNSO.  I think PNSO has become unusually "averse" to making small species, even though they can sell well.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 07, 2024, 12:20:20 AMNow when you say it like that it sounds great compared to Haolonggood giving different coloration of the same pose.. of the same animal.  :D
I actually prefer what Haolonggood does in this case.  The different colourations don't affect the regular release of noticeably different species from Haolonggood.  With PNSO it's basically the same animal just slightly different over and over again.

oscars_dinos

avatar_Sim @Sim you seem very defensive and on your view point, not to argue with you because ultimately we all have our own opinions but I actually love when pnso does closely related species. Having them together allows you to appreciate the animals smaller but just as important differences. ultimately if you don't like that its fine but I don't think its hurting anyone and that its pointless.

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 07, 2024, 01:15:09 AMavatar_Sim @Sim you seem very defensive and on your view point, not to argue with you because ultimately we all have our own opinions but I actually love when pnso does closely related species. Having them together allows you to appreciate the animals smaller but just as important differences. ultimately if you don't like that its fine but I don't think its hurting anyone and that its pointless.

I would rather agree with you here as I like it when a company makes it possible to fill up the cladograms of a larger group. And in all fairness, one has to acknowledge that in the last 9 months or so PNSO has released a great diversity of genera from various groups. This Tyrannotitan is the only standard megatheropod after quite some time (not counting the Spinosaurus here because it is special), and we got even five herbivores from diverse groups in these last 9 months.

Opinions on the small species are also mixed I would believe. In my case, I have restricted myself to the 1:35 scale (and I am OK with a model being a little bit on the long or short end of that) because my preferred group are the sauropods and in the long run I want to display some of the models as dioramas of dinosaur ecosystems. I am still lacking some of the ingredients for this like high quality Jurassic and Cretaceous plant models, but eventually I hope we are getting there. This is why I am not interested in any model in a very different scale right now.

Carnoking

Xilin in the house! Whereas I don't think PNSO quite stuck the landing with this one, this chubby little guy still has oodles of charm!

Spoiler

He's part of the Very Big Brother Program.

[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

[close]

PNSO hasn't done many stegosaurs, but they've almost all been winners in my book.

Not sure how I forgot to get comparison photos with HLG's Wuerhosaurus (maybe it's just not a particularly memorable figure) but for my money, this tubby thyreophoran is the Wuerhosaurus for my collection!

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Flaffy on June 06, 2024, 10:01:14 PMAccording to people more knowledgable on Carcharodontosaurids, PNSO's Tyrannotitan figure unfortunately does not reflect fossil material.

Q: "What makes TTT stand out from other giganotosaurines?"

A: "Well, the dorsal column articulates in an arch. Depictions which gave it a straight dorsal column similar to Giganotosaurus mounts ended up disarticulating the preserved dorsals. There's also a noticeable notch over the posterior dorsals. 

I actually tried to flatten the back curvature as much as I reasonably could in my WIP reconstruction. It could have been very well somewhat more hunchbacked than this.

I can pretty much confidently say that the figure is inaccurate to the fossil material of Tyrannotitan"
- SpinoInWonderland

Any thoughts?

Only the presacrals 11 to 16 (and 19+20) of Tyrannotitan were found articulated, as per Novas et al in the description of T. chubutensis, dorsal 2nd to 7th (first of them is only the neural arch). They have the classic postmortem position opisthonic death pose.

Im not sure what is he referring to by posterior dorsal notch, the posterior dorsals are not complete, there are either centrums or neural spines.

I wouldn't trust this devianart skeletal artists, they have prolifelated lately, you can find 10 behind every rock, and only 1 out of 10 has the knowledge and studies for do it (not talking about spinoinwonderlad specifically) and most of them havent seen the bones but in lateral view, some cant even get right the vert counts, I've seen skeletals with 24 presacral vertebra by "known artists", for god sake.

Sim

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 07, 2024, 01:15:09 AMyou seem very defensive and on your view point
If I seem defensive it's because you accused me of being selfish.  I do feel I have to defend myself when someone accuses me.  As for my view point, I feel strongly about it.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on June 07, 2024, 12:33:17 AM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 07, 2024, 12:10:37 AMIt would be awkward to have all those large carcharodontosaurids except Tyrannotitan for some reason.
I don't think so.  One could just enjoy what has been made.  It's not awkward to be missing species from other groups, so why would it be for carcharodontosaurids?  I also think the PNSO Mapusaurus was an unnecessary figure.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 07, 2024, 12:10:37 AMMost dinosarus look like eachother so i don't understand why Tyrannotitan is the unnecessary one. Torosaurus & Triceratops.. Saurophaganax & Allosaurus.. Tyrannosaurus , Tarbosaurus , Zhuchengtyrannus.. Albertosaurus , Gorgosaurus , Daspletosaurus... Nodosaurs, Anklosaurs etc.
I think for some people Tyrannotitan is unnecessary because its appearance isn't known, and PNSO has already produced three nearly identical figures.  It's  boring.  Also, the appearance of Saurophaganax and Zhuchengtyrannus isn't known, it just gets based on Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus respectively.  And nodosaurids and ankylosaurids tend to look different.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 07, 2024, 12:10:37 AMThere might many reason why they prefer to produce one dinosaur instead of other. For example maybe They think smaller dinosaurs can't have level of detail & painting quality of PNSO level or maybe it's not worth effort & money wise to produce small dinosaurs just like we didn't get 1/35 Alamosaurus, Mamenchisaurus from PNSO.
Smaller species done at a larger scale can have the level of detail and paint quality we're used to from PNSO.  I think PNSO has become unusually "averse" to making small species, even though they can sell well.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 07, 2024, 12:20:20 AMNow when you say it like that it sounds great compared to Haolonggood giving different coloration of the same pose.. of the same animal.  :D
I actually prefer what Haolonggood does in this case.  The different colourations don't affect the regular release of noticeably different species from Haolonggood.  With PNSO it's basically the same animal just slightly different over and over again.

Just a small remark to your last point. Haolonggood has not been so long in the game and after 5 years producing 30 genera per year like what they have planned for this year they will have to think hard what genera they can still come up with. We may then see more rather similarly looking genera from the same group as well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: