News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

2013 Predictions

Started by Balaur, January 02, 2013, 10:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

This will be for your predictions of what will be discovered this year in the fossil record! Or, at least published in a paper.
Anyways, here are mine -
1. A new plesiosaur will be found, a pliosaur, showing large eyes with the ability to see well in the dark from the Late Cretaceous (Correct me if any of these predictions have already been discovered)
2. The colour of Yutyrannus will be discovered.
3. A new fossil of an adult Sciurumimus with feathers will be found.
4.  A new giant penguin, about 3 meters tall, from Antarctica, of the Late Eocene, on James Ross Island will be discovered in June of this year.
5. We will find a Troodon with feather impressions and showing it had blue, green, and rusty-reddish brown wings, which where used for attracting a mate, and the babies did not have wings.

Those are my five for now, I'll post my last 10 predictions tommorow. You can write as many predictions as you want. And at the end of the year, we'll review what people got right, almost right, and wrong.

This is one of two new things I would like to bring to the forums, with reviewing what great finds where found each year, and the predictions of what you think they'll find.

Good luck! Sarcasm is also excepted, but will be reviwed at the end of the year for the fun of it.

Good luck!  ;)

Patrx

Now that researchers know it's possible to find feather imprints in North American fossil beds, I predict an influx of new discoveries like the Ornithomimus finds this year. Tyrannosaurus feathers? Allosaurus feathers?

amargasaurus cazaui

If I were to guess a few things I forsee one would be the finding of another large nesting area similar to Patagonia or the Xixia Basin in size and diversity.

I think this year will see the combining of two species of Tyrannosaur into a single type.
I think Jack Horner will make another immensely entertaining link between some dinosaur and some concept that cannot be even remotely proven, perhaps drawing some support from Peter David by agreeing Triceratops and Pteranadons were the same animal at different ages , and the wings slowly closed and formed horns, etc.
I believe this year we will be given a new find that offers vast insight into what Spinosaurs was and was not.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ZoPteryx

1.  New, mostly complete spinosaur remians will be described.  Could be Spinosaurus, Ichthyovenator, Oxalaia, or a new genus.  Also, spinosaur teeth will be confirmed in many places, giving spinosaurs a greater temporal and geographical distribution than previously thought.
2.  The "African Pterosaur" will finally be named and described.
3.  The true colors of Caudipteryx's feathers will be discovered along with those of another dinosaur, perhaps Epidexipteryx.
4.  The Zunni Basin tyrannosauroid will be described.
5.  Numerous ceratopsians and hadrosaurs will be split from existing genera.
6.  The oldest definite dinosaur remains will be found.
7.  Feathers will be found in a variety of known and new dinosaurs, but none outside of coelurosauria.

Splonkadumpocus

A new titanosaur will be described from Argentina, known from less than half a skeleton.

A new ceratopsian from North America will be discovered or (more likely) split off from a preexisting taxon.

A new coelurosaur will be found in China, known from a complete skeleton with feather impressions. It will be relatively small.

There will be a conflict over privately-held dinosaur remains.

Two taxa, at least one of which is fairly popular, will be lumped together or split apart, resulting in arguments ranging from reasonable debate to insults and name-calling all over the Internet and the paleontological community.

deanm

A new species of pterosaur will be discovered, a small rhamphorhynchoid from Late Cretaceous sediments (okay I can hope....)

alexeratops

People will finnaly solve the mystery of the dinosaur extinction 100 percent sure, and will find a new therizinosaur
like a bantha!

Sharptooth

Oh boy, oh boy, let's see...

1) new patches of skin from T.rex will be found, showing it had scales AND feathers  8)

2) an already known dinosaur will get a new name just because there's a tiny difference in the shape of his dorsal vertebrae, or something along these lines  :P

3) new informations about good ol' Utahraptor showing he was REALLY strange by dromeosaurian standards  :o

4) Nanotyrannus is/isn't a valid species discussion will be settled once and for all!

5) a new hadrosaur mummy that will show they were really different than we thought  :o

6) an almost complete skeleton of Dryptosaurus  ^-^

7) an italian mosasaur   ;)

8) Amphilocoelias fragilissimus' other parts of the skeleton will be found... And he was truly a giant among giants!

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

tyrantqueen

Is this supposed to be a discussion of things we think will be discovered, or things we want to be discovered?

I'd like to see a 65 foot mummified tyrannosaurus rex, with scales preserved. But that's just the rex fangirl in me ;)

Sharptooth

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 03, 2013, 01:19:46 PM

I'd like to see a 65 foot mummified tyrannosaurus rex, with scales preserved. But that's just the rex fangirl in me ;)

That would definitely make my day  ;)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Balaur

Is this supposed to be a discussion of things we think will be discovered, or things we want to be discovered?
Both.

Here are my last 10 predictions.

6. We will find a pterosaur that was entirely herbivorously in Spain, the same formation in which Concavenator was found in of the early Cretaceous.
7. A Big cat will be found that has the jaw sabre-holders like that of Thylacosmilus.
8. A tiny pterosaur that attacks giant sauropods in swarms like piranahs will be found.  ^-^
9. My cat will dig up a Daemonosaurus bone in the backyard and eat it, and will become super cat.  :)
10. I will draw a dinosaur picture depicting a dinosaur eating a dinosaur.   :o
11. New coprolites of pteranodons will see that they ate fish, and dinosaur babies.
12. New skeletal remains of Gigantopithecus will be found, and will show they are not bipedal, but quadrapedal.
13. A skull of Balaur bondoc will be found.
14. Quill knobs on a Tyrannosaurus arm will be found, showing they had feathers.
15. No old paleontological discoveries will be made, only new ones.  :))

That's it for me! Keep up the predictions!

Sharptooth

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on January 04, 2013, 01:12:50 AM

Captain obvious to the rescue!  ;D

CityRaptor

1. The remains of a Reprenomanus will be found. Research will show that it was killed by a flock of Baby Psittacosaurus! Also that it is a Therapsid, not a mammal.

2. Feathers will be found on Allosauroid Dinosaurs.

3. New species of Dinosaurs will be found in museum storage rooms.

4. A Neoceratosaurid with very large spines on its back and a long tail will be found, dubbed "Godzilla".

5. Vivipary in Mosasaurs will be confirmed.

6. Some non-Paleontologist will revive a really old, stupid, disproven theory, claiming it to be revolutionary and new.

7. The rest of Deinocheirus will be found.

8. A Dwarf Species of Stegosauroid will be found, which lived during the late Cretaceous.

9. A Heavy-armored, ovoviviparous/viviparous Sauropod will be found.

10. A large, herbivorous Croc with long legs will be found.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 06, 2013, 05:40:23 PM5. Vivipary in Mosasaurs will be confirmed.
I believe that's already happened.

CityRaptor

Sure? I know it was confirmed for Ichthyosaurs, Plesiosaurs and Mesosaurs.
Oh no

Splonkadumpocus

I saw something on it in my local museum. I can check either tomorrow or the day after.

Splonkadumpocus

Viviparous mosasaurs, from the Geology Museum at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology:

DinoToyForum

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on January 04, 2013, 01:12:50 AM
Both.

Here are my last 10 predictions.

6. We will find a pterosaur that was entirely herbivorously in Spain, the same formation in which Concavenator was found in of the early Cretaceous.
7. A Big cat will be found that has the jaw sabre-holders like that of Thylacosmilus.
8. A tiny pterosaur that attacks giant sauropods in swarms like piranahs will be found.  ^-^
9. My cat will dig up a Daemonosaurus bone in the backyard and eat it, and will become super cat.  :)
10. I will draw a dinosaur picture depicting a dinosaur eating a dinosaur.   :o
11. New coprolites of pteranodons will see that they ate fish, and dinosaur babies.
12. New skeletal remains of Gigantopithecus will be found, and will show they are not bipedal, but quadrapedal.
13. A skull of Balaur bondoc will be found.
14. Quill knobs on a Tyrannosaurus arm will be found, showing they had feathers.

That's it for me! Keep up the predictions!

No. 15. Haha! ;D

CityRaptor

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on January 07, 2013, 10:54:33 PM
Viviparous mosasaurs, from the Geology Museum at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology:

Oh thanks. Oddly I couldn't find anything about that regarding Mosasaurs. Maybe should have tried Ovovivipary instead of Vivipary in my search...
Oh no

Spino-rex13

Lets think...

1. More spinosaurus remains will be found
2. A large Cretaceous theropod will be found in Australia. Larger than Australovenator.
3. Spinosaurus' bite force will be studied thoroughly.
4. Another dinosaurs colour will be discovered.
5. A new ceratopsian dinosaur will be discovered in an unusual place.

I'll think of 5 more soon. ^-^

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: