News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Notable synonyms

Started by Sim, June 28, 2024, 06:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I've added Pteranodon to the list!

Concavenator

What about Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus? I can't tell them apart.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Concavenator on August 08, 2024, 09:15:57 PMWhat about Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus? I can't tell them apart.

Brontosaurus has a more narrow space between the bifurcated neural spines, longer pubis, an overall shorter length of spine from neck to tail, more a more square shaped coracoid, shorter cervcial ribs, and a far less robust neck and forelimbs.
There are likely more differences I'm missing but the differences are there.

Concavenator

Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 08, 2024, 10:17:36 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on August 08, 2024, 09:15:57 PMWhat about Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus? I can't tell them apart.

Brontosaurus has a more narrow space between the bifurcated neural spines, longer pubis, an overall shorter length of spine from neck to tail, more a more square shaped coracoid, shorter cervcial ribs, and a far less robust neck and forelimbs.

Thank you for the breakdown. I was fully aware of differences existing per se (even if I didn't know which ones), but I still don't think I'd be able to externally differentiate them.  :P

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Concavenator on August 12, 2024, 09:32:36 PM
Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 08, 2024, 10:17:36 PM

Thank you for the breakdown. I was fully aware of differences existing per se (even if I didn't know which ones), but I still don't think I'd be able to externally differentiate them.  :P

Well, as long as the people working with Brontosaurus and Apatosaurus can tell the differences, then they're distinct  ;)

Concavenator

Oh I wasn't really implying that they're the same creature, but rather that they could be different species within the same genus.

GojiraGuy1954

Manospondylus gigas would have been Tyrannosaurus rex's senior synonym if not for Nomen Protectum being established on the more scientifically important name
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.