News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Did hadrosaurs and other iguanodontians run on two legs or four?

Started by CarnotaurusKing, July 31, 2024, 09:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

The gentleman in this video gets unusually exasperated over the hadrosaurs in Prehistoric Kingdom running on two legs. He also refers to the big "nipple scales" on Triceratops as osteoderms, which I don't think they are?

From a cursory glance, the relatively spindly and shorter forelimbs of hadrosaurs don't seem particularly suited for running at high speeds. Sellers et al (2008) suggests that bipedalism might be more reasonable at higher speeds, but emphasized the need for further study. I could not find any more research on high speed locomotion in ornithopods. If there is further research, or if anyone wishes to put in their own two cents, please feel free.

andrewsaurus rex

i thought this had been pretty much settled?  I guess not though.  With long strong back limbs and short thinner front limbs it seems pretty obvious that, assuming they could run, it would have been on two legs.  Four legged stance would probably have been used for ambling along, grazing etc. 

In some ways, hadrosaur's build is reminiscent of the kangaroo, other than the hopping gate and i think roos are not a bad analogy for hadrosaurs.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.