You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Genus of Metriacanthosaurid Discovered In Kyrgyzstan- Alpkarakush kyrgyzicus

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, August 22, 2024, 09:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeysaurus

It's so strange when Dinosaur name sounds like a regular persons first and last name.

Infact If you google Alp Karakuş you will see bunch of Turks 🤣🤣

Ş is sound of "sh" in turkic language.

Alp means brave , warrior etc. Karakuş means black(kara) bird (kuş) but also used for eagle. There is also eagle like creature named Alp Karakuş in turkic mythology.  (Kinda like Simurg)

Imagine instead of Tyrannosaurus they named it Davidjohnson , that's how it sounds to me.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 22, 2024, 03:53:16 PMIt's so strange when Dinosaur name sounds like a regular persons first and last name.

Alp means brave , warrior etc. Karakuş means black(kara) bird (kuş) but also used for eagle. There is also eagle like creature named Alp Karakuş in turkic mythology.  (Kinda like Simurg)

Imagine instead of Tyrannosaurus they named it Davidjohnson , that's how it sounds to me.
Thats because our names (Middle East, Turkic, Iranic, Indic etc) always sound super cool when translated.  :D
Indic names have a similar system to whats used in the Greek names for dinosaurs, a double root system, and some old Germanic names (like Fredrick, William) also come from this system.

Im sure Biblical names like David have meanings but I am not as well read on Hebrew origin names, and they come from a different, unrelated Semitic root system (such as DWD)

The way I see it, its more like, for example, naming tyrannosaurus Fredrick  instead. Yes, it can pass as a regular name, but when broken to its original roots it becomes "the Free King" or "The Beloved King" depending on your interpretation of old definitions.

:))

Faelrin

I'll be real, I've never heard of this country before. Is this their first dinosaur find or have there been more from there?

A bit odd the wikipedia article uses an image of a highly speculative head reconstruction instead of the skeletal provided in the paper that would be more informative, considering the very scrappy skull material.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thomasw100

Quote from: Faelrin on August 22, 2024, 06:49:19 PMI'll be real, I've never heard of this country before. Is this their first dinosaur find or have there been more from there?

A bit odd the wikipedia article uses an image of a highly speculative head reconstruction instead of the skeletal provided in the paper that would be more informative, considering the very scrappy skull material.

Yes there have been dinosaurs found in Kyrgyzstan. Kyrgyzstan has been part of a large rather dry Mesozoic ecosystem extending through Central Asia which extended to Mongolia.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on August 22, 2024, 06:49:19 PMI'll be real, I've never heard of this country before. Is this their first dinosaur find or have there been more from there?

Ferganasaurus & Ferganocephale , so it's not first dinosaur but first theropod.

Samrukia

Samrukia

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 22, 2024, 03:53:16 PMIt's so strange when Dinosaur name sounds like a regular persons first and last name.

my nickname is a pterosaur also named after mythological kazakh/turkic/iranian bird, Samruk  :)  which is same thing as Simurg

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.