News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Your proudest catch

Started by tyrantqueen, January 25, 2013, 09:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Marolin /Plaho Megatherium at a flea market for 50 € - cents

Bernd Wolter Design baby Corythosaurus for 25,-€

Ikessauro

I'm much of a lucky guy when it comes to bargains. I once almost bought a Battat Dippy for 30 BIN on ebay. It was 19,99 starting price or BIN for 30. When I clicked at the auction to buy it right away some dumb person had already bid on it and the BIN price was then gone. I was really sad that day. Needless to say that dippy went for over 250 bucks of course.
Another time on Ebay uk I bought a huge lot for £20 plus shipping, included at least 10 unpainted invictas, several JP dinosaurs, WWD allo, postosuchus and t.rex and some extra AAA's and chinasaurs. Unfortunatelly I never received the package, but the seller was kind enough to give me a full refund.

The ones that I actually got were WWD Polacanthus, £6 included shipping, 4 Burger King WWD Skeletons £4, shipping included also. Another lot I got on eBay for $9.99, containing Battat Utahraptor, Invicta t.rex, iguano and glyptodon, CArnegie smilodon and several other dinos.
I made some very good deal in trades, but that doesn't really count because usually I sent items that in the end were worth as much as the one as I got. I got my WWD Liopleurodon, Battat Styracosaurus, Invicta Lambeosaurus and some other rarities like this.
Last month I got Battat Trike and another Styraco in a bin lot with older carnegies and some other dinos for 40 bucks and before that I snatched a lot of safaris and carnegies for 20 bucks. The lot had 22 figures, so I guess it was a good deal.
My Invicta Dimetrodon also was a good find, BIN for less than £10 shipping included.

pylraster

Lucky catch? Perhaps my Battat Rex, and Resaurus T-Rex... both are nigh-impossible to find here in my country and yet persistence paid off without resorting to international means. . . :D

Primeval12

Let's just say I never paid over $10 for a Battat

Battatitan

Great catches everyone: it just shows how patience and a good eye can reward one considerably!  :D
The only catch I've ever really had was finding my beautiful Walking With Dinosaurs Leaellynasaura in a lot of Chinasaurs for £5.  :))

DinoLord

Quote from: primeval12 on February 11, 2013, 06:08:27 PM
How many do you have?  :D

Or did you just get them back when they were released? I envy those folks; I wasn't born yet at the time.

Primeval12

I have three excluding the one I lost, the Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, and the Pachycephalosaurus. The one I lost I paid under $10 as well. I also wasn't born when they first came out either.

Ikessauro

Quote from: primeval12 on February 11, 2013, 06:08:27 PM

That just really doesn't happen to me. For us that don't live in the US and Canada it's hard to find good deal on Battats. Everyone knows that Battats worth more than the usual Carnegie or Safari toy, so when on eBay it always goes for a lot of cash if listed under the real name of the model. Even the ones in lots of chinasaurs cost high for me, once you add shipping costs. Also I have the currency problem which is worth half of the dollar value. :-\

By the way, I forgot to say, one of my cheapest Battats was a Maiasaura I got last month in a lot of dinos. I had to ask the seller to send only the Maiasaura to me to cut down shipping cost, and, in the end it still went for 30.00 bucks with shipping costs included.

Primeval12

I'm changing mine. I got a carneige mountain for $30 from a toy store that was closing. That's what you get for being a good costumer.  :D

docronnie

I had some lucky buys as well, but getting an Invicta Scelidosaurus for P5.00 (approx. $0.12) is the best so far.  Thanks to my friend, Dr. Jez!  :)

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Crackington

One of my proudest moments involved coming across a book, rather than a rare model. I found a 1964 copy of "Prehistoric Man" by Professor Augusta with Burian's fabulous artwork for £10. The book still had its dust jacket and was in good condition and I felt like I was robbing the shop! However, Mrs Crackington topped this a couple of weeks later by finding in the same shop a first English edition copy of the even better "Prehistoric Sea Monsters", also in great condition. Using her silky negotiating skills she talked the shop-owner down to £3.50 and gave it to me as a great birthday surprise!

Iguanocolossus

Quote from: thelordsgym on February 05, 2013, 02:22:23 PM
My proudest catch is getting the complete set of Large and small Extinct mammals by Playvisions for a mere $75:
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac246/thelordsgymj/DZ%20Mammals/Multiple%20Companies/PlayvisionsMammals.jpg[/img]]

That's just gorgeous. I wish they still made it :(

Iguanocolossus

I think my best catches have been the Time-Life Nature Library-lots of Burian, gorgeous paleaoart in most of them.

In hindsight, my three Batatts (Ouranosaurus, Edmontonia, and Amargosaurus), Imperial Mastodon and Tycho Monoclonius, but they weren't exactly on my wishlist and I got both as presents.

I guess it would be the Hasbro big red Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus. My uncle found it in a garage sale.

Roselaar

Quote from: Iguanocolossus on March 12, 2013, 01:56:33 AM
the Hasbro big red Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus.

Which one would that be? You're not referring to Kenner's classic 1993 Red Rex, right? Careful, getting Kenner and Hasbro mixed up where JP toys are concerned is not a sin easily forgiven by die-hard dinosaur toy fanatics.  :D

Iguanocolossus

Oops. I must admit, Kenner did a better job with its toyline. Seriously, how many others have Placerias, Estemmenosuchus, and Lycenops?

Roselaar

Quote from: Iguanocolossus on March 13, 2013, 01:06:53 PM
Oops. I must admit, Kenner did a better job with its toyline. Seriously, how many others have Placerias, Estemmenosuchus, and Lycenops?

Erm... they didn't have Placerias (that was Tyco). Kenner had a Scutosaurus. But yeah, Kenner had much more diversity than Hasbro. Until now at least.

Dilophoraptor

Quote from: Roselaar on March 13, 2013, 02:06:15 PM

Erm... they didn't have Placerias (that was Tyco). Kenner had a Scutosaurus. But yeah, Kenner had much more diversity than Hasbro. Until now at least.

Speaking of the JP Kenner scuto i got a bland version(green and pale under) version at a Flea market of sorts.
(sorry if there's some sort of topic bump rule)

FUTABA

My proudest catches recently would involve my Toyway WWD Liopleurodon which I got on Ebay for £6.80-something. He's a little bit beaten up but I'm not complaining as the price was fantastic. I also got the WWD Ophthalmosaurus in mint condition as an Easter gift from my mother.

Also my SEGA Dinosaur King Futabasaurus. Forgot how much I paid for him (wasn't cheap) but I'd been after one for well over a year with no luck so I was so pleased to discover one for sale.

Same goes for my Battat Parasaurolophus, must have been on the hunt for one for about a year and a half so I snapped up the opportunity to get one on Ebay when the chance came. Paid about £80 all in all with shipping and customs fees etc but I have no regrets whatsoever. I idolize my Battat Para.

Also when I was a kid I frequently bought Invicta Dinosaurs at car boot sales, charity shops etc for mere pennies without knowing really what they were apart from nice dinosaur toys. I have a Stegosaurus, Triceratops, painted Diplodocus (with some heavy paint wear), Cetiosaurus, Baryonyx, Iguanodon, Tyrannosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, Scelidosaurus and Troodon. I also have the Pteranodon, Plesiosaurus, Ichthyosaurus, Glyptodon and Mammoth. Some of these though are a bit beaten up and others are lost in the attic at the moment but I know they are still in the house somewhere. Really need to go look for them.

Same goes for a few vintage Carnegies / Safaris.
I really really like blue things.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Dilophoraptor on June 18, 2013, 05:11:07 AM

Speaking of the JP Kenner scuto i got a bland version(green and pale under) version at a Flea market of sorts.

You mean, like this?:
http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/lost-world/lost-world-series-1/exclusives/dino-tracker-set/index.htm
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 22, 2013, 06:14:19 PM
Quote from: Dilophoraptor on June 18, 2013, 05:11:07 AM

You mean, like this?:
http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/lost-world/lost-world-series-1/exclusives/dino-tracker-set/index.htm

It's the only released version of the Scuto. If you had one in a different colour I'd be surprised.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: