You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

*FLASH* Sue the TRex GUMS a Torosaurus to Death!! (by Galileo)

Started by Simon, February 22, 2013, 02:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

OK, OK, that's not the real name of this kit.  ;) The kit is wonderful all around - except that Sue is toothless.  No, a TRex could not hide its teeth inside its mouth.  This kit reminds me of a Mona Lisa with a moustache...this could have been Galileo's masterpiece - if he had resisted the urge to "take the easy way out"  ....

Joel

Well, I still love this kit, and I'm going to buy one soon. Maybe I'll add teeth along the upper jaw; I'll see how I feel about it when it arrives. This year looks to be pretty big for dino models. Gallileo also has a 1/15 Giganotosaurus (just ordered it, now I'll finally have a big scale Giganotosaurus!), he's making a 1/15 Argentinosaurus (will I even have room for this guy? I'll find out when it arrives), Tony McVey appears to be back on the seen with a 1/6 scale Deinonychus. Not to mention the serect commish Shane is working on for me. I won't say what it is, but it's 1/10 scale, and it will be 48 inches. With any luck, it will be ready around Christmas time (maybe a little later) that way I'll end up getting some of you guys' Christmas money.

Simon

How long is the 1/15 Argentinosaurus Joel?  Do you have a picture of it?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Galileo is of the school of thought all theropods are like Komodo Dragons and have gums that hide their teeth..even the rather large ones as in this case.  I've really prescribed to idea of such large gums..some overlap is good and plausible but not to this extent. I've been really curious to see him try a Ceratosaurus at some point..lol

There should still be the vinyl kit Galileo did that a very similar concept, Rex with dead juvenile Trike and it's roaring so it's dentition is shown better in that piece.

So is Galileo getting more reliable with shipping and orders now ? 

A 1/10 piece that in 48" eh ? Sounds quite interesting... ;)

Seijun

I like it with the hidden teeth :) It feels very elegant.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Simon

That is the length (down the spine) of the Darga Horizon TRex, the biggest I have personally ever built....so, whatever this critter is, it would have been maybe 45 feet long in life .... could well be one of the big theropods .... or something freakier like Agustinia ....

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Simon on February 22, 2013, 06:18:38 AM
That is the length (down the spine) of the Darga Horizon TRex, the biggest I have personally ever built....so, whatever this critter is, it would have been maybe 45 feet long in life .... could well be one of the big theropods .... or something freakier like Agustinia ....

Guess we'll have to wait and see.  I'm also excited to see what dino Shane did for that vinyl series .. :)

Simon

Yeah ... but I'm starting to wonder IF that dino series is ever going to see the light of day already!

Simon

Joel - I don't know, but Galileo's 1/15 Giganotosaurus doesn't grab me - it seems too chunky somehow, and the mouth is all wrong;  he seems to have gone full-bore for the "Komodo Dragon" or "Monitor Lizard" look, it doesn't look right for a theropod head...plus he got the lower jaw all wrong by eliminating the very pronounced (and iconic) square chin of Giganotosaurus....I'm hoping the Argentinosaurus will have a better "feel" to it...

...his 1/40 Giganotosaurus is a gem however - I have that one ....

Simon

Quote from: Seijun on February 22, 2013, 05:28:41 AM
I like it with the hidden teeth :) It feels very elegant.

Yes, I'll admit that it does - elegant, but anatomically incorrect ...

Simon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 22, 2013, 05:09:36 AM
*SNIP*

So is Galileo getting more reliable with shipping and orders now ? 

*SNIP*

...Ummm...I dunno...I guess you could put him to the ultimate test by placing an order....

/runs into the woods/

Blade-of-the-Moon

The vinyl line was just announced a few months back I think..takes awhile to place a big order with Asian factories and have it filled.

I'm thinking I might wait on Shane's 1/15 Carcharodontosaurus should be as big or bigger I think.. :)

I was actually asking Joel I guess since it sounded like he had ordered from him recently.  That's one test I'm not brave enough for..lol All I've heard up to now is the same old same old from him..long delays, kits missing parts, ect.

Joel

Quote from: Simon on February 22, 2013, 03:45:40 AM
How long is the 1/15 Argentinosaurus Joel?  Do you have a picture of it?
Here's the picture from his face book page:

It's still WIP, but it looks like it's going to be awesome!
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 22, 2013, 06:53:27 AM
I was actually asking Joel I guess since it sounded like he had ordered from him recently.  That's one test I'm not brave enough for..lol All I've heard up to now is the same old same old from him..long delays, kits missing parts, ect.
Yes I ordered from him recently. I had him create a Sarcosuchus for me, and got his Acrocanthosaurus a few months ago and his 1/18 Tyrannosaurus a year ago. As far as long waits go, every time I order something from Mexico (it does not matter what company or person), it always takes a while. I think it maybe the Mexican Parcel service, not Galileo. All of my kits have come complete, and he even sent me a Saurolophus and a Koreaceratops free of charge for the Sarcosuchus commission.
Quote from: Simon on February 22, 2013, 06:31:21 AM
Joel - I don't know, but Galileo's 1/15 Giganotosaurus doesn't grab me - it seems too chunky somehow, and the mouth is all wrong;  he seems to have gone full-bore for the "Komodo Dragon" or "Monitor Lizard" look, it doesn't look right for a theropod head...plus he got the lower jaw all wrong by eliminating the very pronounced (and iconic) square chin of Giganotosaurus....I'm hoping the Argentinosaurus will have a better "feel" to it...
Well, I'll look it over when I get it, and I can alter it if need be. It looks great to me, and I'm glad someone finally made one. Of course, I'm still getting Shane's Carcharadontosaurus when it's ready, but it's nice to also have a Giganotosaurus.

tyrantqueen

I really like the Carnotaurus made by Geene models/Galileo. I can't/won't order from him again though, since I had a big problem with him buying from eBay, where he did not respond to my emails, and I ended up leaving him a negative feedback. I don't think he'd agree to sell to me again after that ::)
Waaaah :'(

I thought the lipped theropod thing was debatable- I didn't actually think it was confirmed that theropods were incapable of possessing lips. Did I miss something...?

radman

I think the T.rex with prey kit looks terrific!  As for the gums/no gums argument, it's nice to have multiple interpretations IMHO, kinda like the feathers thing.  BTW, don't be put off ordering from Galileo, you just have to accept that it will likely take at least two months.  I've gotten many of his kits, and he usually responds quickly, especially through facebook, where he is quite active.  I've only had one kit problem, one of the gorgos came with two left hands, and he quite graciously sent me a replacement along with a free huayangosaurus.  Anyway, if you're on the fence about ordering, he does retire his kits pretty quickly; like mb-cg he is fairly prolific and I guess he only has so much room, so don't wait too long!

gorgosaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: radman on February 22, 2013, 12:36:24 PM
I think the T.rex with prey kit looks terrific!  As for the gums/no gums argument, it's nice to have multiple interpretations IMHO, kinda like the feathers thing.  BTW, don't be put off ordering from Galileo, you just have to accept that it will likely take at least two months.  I've gotten many of his kits, and he usually responds quickly, especially through facebook, where he is quite active.  I've only had one kit problem, one of the gorgos came with two left hands, and he quite graciously sent me a replacement along with a free huayangosaurus.  Anyway, if you're on the fence about ordering, he does retire his kits pretty quickly; like mb-cg he is fairly prolific and I guess he only has so much room, so don't wait too long!

I was thinking of some that ordered and almost a year alter they hadn't received what they ordered.  Or it arrives damaged and broken as I recently heard about a JP Compy a friend had ordered.  I have heard the communication issue was a problem as well from a few others.

Good pic Spike, I actually don't mind the middle ground there with just a bit of lip present, but the lips would need to be quite large to cover all the tooth that would hang over.  Just doesn't seem feasible. Looking at other theropod dinos like ceratosaurus and spinosaurs..having lips on any of those seem very unlikely.

s.foulkes

As with all Galileos sculpts the kit looks real nice and i guess even though the no teeth thing is incorrect it would be possible for many kit builders to simply add the upper row of teeth. All his work is very nice to look at. Yes Simon the Giganoto is missing a few things detail wise to make is perfect but we all have some problems with our sculpts from time to time ,i know i do too. Im trying harder of course not to. I really do like this model and adding the missing features here and there can be done with some putty so not a big deal ,i know i would like one. Good to see Tony back at it again too. We need more sculptors out there doing high quailty work for all of us to enjoy. It also makes the rest of us (me) try harder to make my work better ,never getting comfortable with my level ,always raising the bar . everyone wins.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

Simon

Spike - I go with the middle illustration where the teeth are partially exposed...

Joel - that Argentinosaurus looks unbelievable - its HUGE!  Wonder what the cost will be, given that the Giga is $300?

radman

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 22, 2013, 04:03:46 PM

I was thinking of some that ordered and almost a year alter they hadn't received what they ordered.  Or it arrives damaged and broken as I recently heard about a JP Compy a friend had ordered.  I have heard the communication issue was a problem as well from a few others.

What you didn't mention was that you single-handedly got Galileo banned from this forum.  Apparently, you relentlessly hounded him about some bizarre  Klownzilla project that you wanted him to do for you and he was unwilling - to the point that you called him on the phone at home and even emailed his wife about it.  This got Galileo so upset he he called you out on this forum and unfriended you on facebook, resulting in G getting banned from this forum.  I think you should recuse yourself from this thread and perhaps even take a break from your role as moderator, as you post far more than anyone else, mostly just to say you'd like a particular model in a bigger size than offered.  OK, we get it, you have more storage room, that's not helpful to the rest of us.  You should try to make peace with Galileo, as he is a wonderful dino sculptor, that the rest of the forum would benefit from, despite your personal bad experience.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: