You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

*FLASH* Sue the TRex GUMS a Torosaurus to Death!! (by Galileo)

Started by Simon, February 22, 2013, 02:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

If what radman says above is all true, Galileo may have had good reason to get angry with Blade;  however his posts crossed the line into foul language as I recall, having seen them, and were posted on several threads. 

Perhaps he should have been suspended for a month first - but I don't know how the decision-making process works with the Admins/Moderators ...

Its unfortunate that this matter could not have been resolved off-line.  To those who still want to exchange posts and discuss things with Galileo, he can be found under the name "roostercat" on The Clubhouse forums here:

http://theclubhouse1.net/

caspakian

Quote from: Simon on February 22, 2013, 06:31:21 AM
Joel - I don't know, but Galileo's 1/15 Giganotosaurus doesn't grab me - it seems too chunky somehow, and the mouth is all wrong;  he seems to have gone full-bore for the "Komodo Dragon" or "Monitor Lizard" look, it doesn't look right for a theropod head...plus he got the lower jaw all wrong by eliminating the very pronounced (and iconic) square chin of Giganotosaurus....I'm hoping the Argentinosaurus will have a better "feel" to it...

...his 1/40 Giganotosaurus is a gem however - I have that one ....

You seem to be quite the expert and critic. What are you accomplishing by bashing other peoples work? The way I was raised, if you don't have anything good to say about something, then don't say anything. Anything else is impolite and rude.

Simon

Quote from: caspakian on February 23, 2013, 12:33:39 AM
Joel - I don't know, but Galileo's 1/15 Giganotosaurus doesn't grab me - it seems too chunky somehow, and the mouth is all wrong;  he seems to have gone full-bore for the "Komodo Dragon" or "Monitor Lizard" look, it doesn't look right for a theropod head...plus he got the lower jaw all wrong by eliminating the very pronounced (and iconic) square chin of Giganotosaurus....I'm hoping the Argentinosaurus will have a better "feel" to it...

You seem to be quite the expert and critic. What are you accomplishing by bashing other peoples work? The way I was raised, if you don't have anything good to say about something, then don't say anything. Anything else is impolite and rude.

*WHAT???*  My initial reaction to your post above was to insert a 'bwahaha' but that seems, well, so passe.

(Keeping in mind that you actually might be Galileo under a different name - he seems to be exceptionally sensitive to any criticism of his work), I will simply point out that this a DISCUSSION forum, not a place where the only permitted comment are "WOW, KOOL DUDE!"

My criticism of what I see as the shortcomings of Galileo's 1/15 Giganotosaurus are NEITHER "impolite" nor "rude" as you allege. Come to think of it, now I am almost certain that you ARE Galileo.  (Your post comes too quick on the heels of my comment on Galileo's banning.)

Well, whether you ARE he or not, pass this along:  I very much LIKE Galileo's sculpts.  I've even bought a few of them.  That doesn't mean, however that I will like every single one or that its somehow 'bad form' to point out what i feel are artistic and/or accuracy weaknesses of individual sculpts of his.  He also doesn't seem to be able to distinguish who his friends are (like you).

Insulting people who admire your work and think you are an elite-level dinosaur sculptor is quite near-sighted, and he has unfortunately done so in the past.  And I am NOT talking about Blade, with whom he actually had a serious falling out.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: radman on February 22, 2013, 07:44:25 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 22, 2013, 04:03:46 PM

I was thinking of some that ordered and almost a year alter they hadn't received what they ordered.  Or it arrives damaged and broken as I recently heard about a JP Compy a friend had ordered.  I have heard the communication issue was a problem as well from a few others.

What you didn't mention was that you single-handedly got Galileo banned from this forum.  Apparently, you relentlessly hounded him about some bizarre  Klownzilla project that you wanted him to do for you and he was unwilling - to the point that you called him on the phone at home and even emailed his wife about it.  This got Galileo so upset he he called you out on this forum and unfriended you on facebook, resulting in G getting banned from this forum.  I think you should recuse yourself from this thread and perhaps even take a break from your role as moderator, as you post far more than anyone else, mostly just to say you'd like a particular model in a bigger size than offered.  OK, we get it, you have more storage room, that's not helpful to the rest of us.  You should try to make peace with Galileo, as he is a wonderful dino sculptor, that the rest of the forum would benefit from, despite your personal bad experience.

Just to defend myself somewhat as I almost feel an attack here...I did NOT harass him or his wife. He actually accepted the project and we were working out details.. that project had absolutely nothing to do with his reaction and subsequent banning on this forum. That was purely his own doing . I don't even know what I did but it certainly was nothing he accused me of. I wasn't even a moderator at the time of the incident. He did do all those things to me but that also had nothing to do with his banning either. 

I'm posting too much and you don't like my posts ? Well I'm sorry my presence offends you. I had thought we were friends to be honest. My comments on whether I like something..well lots of members to do that..larger size posts ? Yep I do those..most think it's funny. I am sorry you don't.

Making peace with Galileo..it's up to him..he's the only one who blew up and accused me of things I never did and attacked me...I don't " bash " him either.  BTW it's not just myself who has " bad experiences ".. there are others not just on this forum when I hear for at least month someone hasn't had some issue I'll quit asking.  So I should just ignore any posts regarding his work and keep my mouth shut ?  Well that is one way to go. However I don't feel that anyone should be prohibited from saying what they think or what's truth..that's goes for anyone.  If you wanted a reaction you got one, now I'm done and will not post on this thread anymore.

Simon

As an aside (and returning to the topic of this thread), just the buzz this thread has generated testifies to the interest in this 1/35 TRex kit.  Frankly, the lack of teeth aside, I think its his best kit to date.  The proportions of the TRex look absolutely 100% dead-on from the photos. 

And as Joel and Shane commented, it would be pretty easy for an experienced modeler to add the missing teeth. 

Simon

One last word re: the Blade/Galileo 'incident':

If my memory serves me correctly, all Blade said on this board was to describe how one of Galileo's kits arrived damaged, so he sent it to Martin Garratt for repair and painting instead of back to Galileo (who apparently wanted to fix it himself).  Next thing we knew, Galileo was posting on multiple threads calling Blade some unrepeatable names in a very childish manner.

Whatever happened between them off-DTF, his behavior here was unacceptable to the Admin and he was promptly banned.

caspakian

Quote from: Simon on February 23, 2013, 01:11:33 AM
Quote from: caspakian on February 23, 2013, 12:33:39 AM

*WHAT???*  My initial reaction to your post above was to insert a 'bwahaha' but that seems, well, so passe.

(Keeping in mind that you actually might be Galileo under a different name - he seems to be exceptionally sensitive to any criticism of his work), I will simply point out that this a DISCUSSION forum, not a place where the only permitted comment are "WOW, KOOL DUDE!"

My criticism of what I see as the shortcomings of Galileo's 1/15 Giganotosaurus are NEITHER "impolite" nor "rude" as you allege. Come to think of it, now I am almost certain that you ARE Galileo.  (Your post comes too quick on the heels of my comment on Galileo's banning.)

Well, whether you ARE he or not, pass this along:  I very much LIKE Galileo's sculpts.  I've even bought a few of them.  That doesn't mean, however that I will like every single one or that its somehow 'bad form' to point out what i feel are artistic and/or accuracy weaknesses of individual sculpts of his.  He also doesn't seem to be able to distinguish who his friends are (like you).

Insulting people who admire your work and think you are an elite-level dinosaur sculptor is quite near-sighted, and he has unfortunately done so in the past.  And I am NOT talking about Blade, with whom he actually had a serious falling out.

I am not Galileo. My name is Dave Crider. I wish I was Galileo. I would love to have that kind of talent. How about showing us something that you sculpted from scratch? I gaurantee you that if I do not like it, I won't run it down on this forum. The very title of this thread shows how much class you lack.

Simon

Actually Dave, the title of this thread shows my sense of humor - and its also 'bait' to get people to actually look at the sculpt, which - minus the teeth - is absolutely SUPERB.

So I have done Galileo a favor by framing the topic as I did - which was partly my intent anyway. 

Plus the joke about "gumming to death" was just too cute to pass up.

Lighten up a little.   ;)

caspakian

Quote from: Simon on February 23, 2013, 01:29:52 AM
Actually Dave, the title of this thread shows my sense of humor - and its also 'bait' to get people to actually look at the sculpt, which - minus the teeth - is absolutely SUPERB.

So I have done Galileo a favor by framing the topic as I did - which was partly my intent anyway. 

OK, lets put the tone of our previous posts aside. Personally, I like the "no teeth showing look". It is different and fresh and I am not so sure that it is not possible. I can understand you liking the exposed teeth and I respect that. But, how can you be so sure that the T-Rex had exposed teeth with a closed mouth? Look at the modern day Hippo. On some individuals, the lower tusks are so long, they look like they are about to pop through the skin on the upper mouth, but when the mouth is closed, they are not visible. Look at the "vampire fish" from the amazon. When you look at those lower fangs, you think there is no way those won't be exposed when the mouth is closed, but they are completely hidden. I don't accept the argument that they had to be exposed because they extend below the lower jaw as 100% positive evidence that they were exposed with the mouth closed. I think either version is completely possible...

Simon

As much as I think that the lack of teeth at all is inaccurate (probably), I have to say again that the sculpt is masterful - yes, even the "look" of the head.  I'm not sure that it would retain it if you add the teeth .... artistically its an A+++

caspakian

Quote from: Simon on February 23, 2013, 02:18:49 AM
As much as I think that the lack of teeth at all is inaccurate (probably), I have to say again that the sculpt is masterful - yes, even the "look" of the head.  I'm not sure that it would retain it if you add the teeth .... artistically its an A+++

I agree that I think it would be hard to add exposed teeth and make it look good. That is easy for Shane to say, but I am pretty sure I couldn't get the job done. To Galileo, any chance of sculpting an "alternate head" with exposed teeth? I would buy one of each. You never know unless you ask....

radman

OK, I apologize for whatever feelings I may have hurt.  I have been on this forum for about 4 years now(!) and yes, Blade I consider you a friend as well, as we have had many positive transactions and just general interactions in the past.  I just feel that since Gali isn't here to respond I should say something good for him now and then.   I have heard bits and pieces of both sides; not that a "he said- he said" argument is important or relevant anymore, I guess we should just move on.   Blade is obviously a devoted and valued dino fan and moderator and Galileo is a great dino artist; this forum is richer with both of them, despite their differences. I hope you and even TQ can work out your differences with G and get some of his great kits before they disappear.   I'd like to see Gali invited to rejoin, as most members and the forum in general would benefit seeing his models. :-*
C:-) :P :o 8) :-X

caspakian

Quote from: radman on February 23, 2013, 02:34:08 AM
I'd like to see Gali invited to rejoin, as most members and the forum in general would benefit seeing his models.

I don't know any history of what went on, but I second that.

caspakian

News Flash! This item is now available for purchase on Galileo's website!

Seijun

Quote from: caspakian on February 23, 2013, 02:07:52 AM
Quote from: Simon on February 23, 2013, 01:29:52 AM

OK, lets put the tone of our previous posts aside. Personally, I like the "no teeth showing look". It is different and fresh and I am not so sure that it is not possible. I can understand you liking the exposed teeth and I respect that. But, how can you be so sure that the T-Rex had exposed teeth with a closed mouth? Look at the modern day Hippo. On some individuals, the lower tusks are so long, they look like they are about to pop through the skin on the upper mouth, but when the mouth is closed, they are not visible. Look at the "vampire fish" from the amazon. When you look at those lower fangs, you think there is no way those won't be exposed when the mouth is closed, but they are completely hidden. I don't accept the argument that they had to be exposed because they extend below the lower jaw as 100% positive evidence that they were exposed with the mouth closed. I think either version is completely possible...

^^^ this

I am personally not sold either way (lips vs no lips) but I love how "komodo dragon-ish" this rex looks.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Takama

Quote from: caspakian on February 23, 2013, 02:44:05 AM
I'd like to see Gali invited to rejoin, as most members and the forum in general would benefit seeing his models.

I don't know any history of what went on, but I second that.
He got banned due to an insult he made,  Its best left in the past

tyrantqueen

OK, I apologize for whatever feelings I may have hurt.  I have been on this forum for about 4 years now(!) and yes, Blade I consider you a friend as well, as we have had many positive transactions and just general interactions in the past.  I just feel that since Gali isn't here to respond I should say something good for him now and then.   I have heard bits and pieces of both sides; not that a "he said- he said" argument is important or relevant anymore, I guess we should just move on.   Blade is obviously a devoted and valued dino fan and moderator and Galileo is a great dino artist; this forum is richer with both of them, despite their differences. I hope you and even TQ can work out your differences with G and get some of his great kits before they disappear.   I'd like to see Gali invited to rejoin, as most members and the forum in general would benefit seeing his models. :-*
C:-) :P :o 8) :-X
Oh, I have no beef with this man myself. I was annoyed and angered with his lack of communication back in the day, but the kit did (finally) arrive, to be fair. I can put this bad experience behind me if he has truly improved his communication with his customers.
I just don't think he would want to sell to a person who left him a neggie on eBay :)
I would really love to pick up his Carnotaurus, Gorgosaurus or Tyrannosaurus Rex, but my experience tells me it's a big risk to take.

caspakian

Galileo has improved his communications and shipping a thousand fold. I have placed at least 6 orders with him over the last several months and recieved every one of them in fine condition in a relatively short period of time. Remember, they are shipping from Mexico, but I usually got them within a couple of weeks from the order date. And I can't believe he would not welcome the business from anyone. He understands that his business had some problems in the past, but I believe he has fixed them and wants to regain everyones trust.

Cirex

My experience is that out the 4 kits I've ordered from Galileo, all of them arrived within 45 days of purchase (I am in Europe), complete and perfectly packaged (each piece individually wrapped and placed in a sturdy box) + communication was always good and friendly. The only issue I got has been with his 1/15 Accro on which the resin was so thin in places that you could see light through it.

caspakian

Quote from: Cirex on February 23, 2013, 11:19:44 PM
My experience is that out the 4 kits I've ordered from Galileo, all of them arrived within 45 days of purchase (I am in Europe), complete and perfectly packaged (each piece individually wrapped and placed in a sturdy box) + communication was always good and friendly. The only issue I got has been with his 1/15 Accro on which the resin was so thin in places that you could see light through it.

Galileo said he was fixing the "thin" issue and it should not be a problem from now on...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: