News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs: The Weird and the Wonderful

Started by Yutyrannus, May 08, 2013, 04:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on January 28, 2014, 04:56:14 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 28, 2014, 04:52:10 AM
Quote from: Balaur on January 28, 2014, 04:47:53 AM
Wow! Good job! I am also watching the Life of Birds and I am getting ideas from that series as well, but not for my series, just for fun.
Yes, it is very inspiring :). It is actually in my opinion a great example of the ideal dinosaur documentary. By the way, will you beposting some of those ideas in your art thread ("Balaur's Dinosaur Art")?

Yes, it is a great example of a wonderful dinosaur documentary. Also, is that where you got the idea of the format, or did you make it yourself?

Also, yes, I will be posting them in my art thread.
Indeed it is ;).

Awesome! Can't wait!

Also, I thought I should mention that I think this Deinocheirus has the best open advanced wings of all my drawings (my Alaskonychus, Bradycneme and Tyrannosaurus don't have advanced wings).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

Yep, working on my Unenlagia biology based off of the Crested Grebe right now.
Also, yes, I think those wings are amazing. ;)

So, in a nutshell, Life of Birds was the inspiration of your series?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on January 28, 2014, 05:13:10 AM

Whoa, a grebe Unenlagia :o! I can't wait for that! The Beuitreraptor for my Carnotaurus special is also inspired by Life of Birds. It's based on...oh, I forgot the name, it's that heron (or maybe egret) from Africa that uses its wings to create shade to attract fish. That also justifies Beuitreraptor having such long arms, big wings ;D!

One of the main ones, yes. Along with Planet Dinosaur, WWD, and Dinosaur Revolution. Life of Birds, however, was the major influence because I was intent on depicting dinosaurs as animals not monsters, and also because it has such great examples of what dinosaur behavior, avian or non-avian, is like in their daily life.

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 28, 2014, 05:26:21 AM

Whoa, a grebe Unenlagia :o! I can't wait for that! The Beuitreraptor for my Carnotaurus special is also inspired by Life of Birds. It's based on...oh, I forgot the name, it's that heron (or maybe egret) from Africa that uses its wings to create shade to attract fish. That also justifies Beuitreraptor having such long arms, big wings ;D!

One of the main ones, yes. Along with Planet Dinosaur, WWD, and Dinosaur Revolution. Life of Birds, however, was the major influence because I was intent on depicting dinosaurs as animals not monsters, and also because it has such great examples of what dinosaur behavior, avian or non-avian, is like in their daily life.

Yep. We don't have a lot of material on Unenlagia, but based on the fact that there relatives like Buitreraptor have adaptations for fish eating, I decided to take it a step up and make Unenlagia a more aquatic species of unenlagiinae.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on January 28, 2014, 05:32:31 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 28, 2014, 05:26:21 AM

Yep. We don't have a lot of material on Unenlagia, but based on the fact that there relatives like Buitreraptor have adaptations for fish eating, I decided to take it a step up and make Unenlagia a more aquatic species of unenlagiinae.
I do that kind of thing a lot too, remember my Torvosaurus. Anyway, still can't wait to see it!

Also, I posted a new picture in The Speculative Dinosaur Project thread.

Balaur

Also, is your Velociraptor story set at night or day? Because recent evidence does conclude it was nocturnal.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on January 29, 2014, 01:58:04 AM
Also, is your Velociraptor story set at night or day? Because recent evidence does conclude it was nocturnal.
At day, but I'll change it. Thanks for telling me :).

Edit: Fixed.

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 29, 2014, 03:11:20 AM
Quote from: Balaur on January 29, 2014, 01:58:04 AM
At day, but I'll change it. Thanks for telling me :).

Edit: Fixed.

No problem! :)

Yutyrannus

I finished drawing the Beuitreraptor so expect him up soon.

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 29, 2014, 04:43:38 AM
I'm actually really excited to see what he looks like, as your most recent feathered dinosaurs are fantastic (Tyrannosaurus, Alaskonychus, Deinocheirus)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on January 29, 2014, 04:45:04 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 29, 2014, 04:43:38 AM
I'm actually really excited to see what he looks like, as your most recent feathered dinosaurs are fantastic (Tyrannosaurus, Alaskonychus, Deinocheirus)
Thanks, I might still update him a bit, though. It took me a long time to figure out how the the wing's to look right with a right angle bend in the elbow, but I think it's okay now. I will say he has huge wings and a tail fan :).

Yutyrannus

A few new feathered dinos :):

Beuitreraptor

Falcarius

Khaan

For Beuitreraptor, I based its colors on a Red-necked Phalarope, Falcarius was inspired by the Greater Prairie Chicken, and I think the references for the color and drawing of Khaan are obvious ;D.

Balaur

Wow! I was just expecting one drawing! And I have been waiting for Khaan for a very long time. All three are fantastic!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on January 30, 2014, 04:34:42 AM
Wow! I was just expecting one drawing! And I have been waiting for Khaan for a very long time. All three are fantastic!
Yeah, the second two I just barely did today. That shows what can happen when I have no homework :))! Thanks! I am happy with how they turned out as well. I have also decided that the Carnotaurus special will follow both the Carnotaurus pride and the Beuitreraptor.

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 30, 2014, 04:38:58 AM
Yeah, the second two I just barely did today. That shows what can happen when I have no homework :))! Thanks! I am happy with how they turned out as well. I have also decided that the Carnotaurus special will follow both the Carnotaurus pride and the Beuitreraptor.

I have a pedantic note on the creature list. Amargasaurus did not live with Carnotaurus and all the other creatures.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on January 30, 2014, 04:41:10 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 30, 2014, 04:38:58 AM

I have a pedantic note on the creature list. Amargasaurus did not live with Carnotaurus and all the other creatures.
Thank you, I was actually about to start drawing him so perfect time to mention that. What should I replace him with?

Yutyrannus

I have added a new creature to the series but I will not put him in the creature list until I post the picture, so he'll be a surprise. I will give a hint: it is one of the four dinosaurs that we know colors from ;).

Concavenator

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 30, 2014, 01:36:08 PM
I have added a new creature to the series but I will not put him in the creature list until I post the picture, so he'll be a surprise. I will give a hint: it is one of the four dinosaurs that we know colors from ;).
Is it Anchiornis?  ;)
BTW,really nice drawings there.Love the colors on the Buitreraptor  :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Concavenator on January 30, 2014, 01:42:50 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 30, 2014, 01:36:08 PM
Is it Anchiornis?  ;)
BTW,really nice drawings there.Love the colors on the Buitreraptor  :)
Wait and see :-X.
Also, thanks. As I said a got Beuitreraptor's colors on a Red-necked Phalarope which has really cool coloration.

Yutyrannus

Here is my mystery feathered dinosaur:

Microraptor

This guy took a long time to get right :)). Also, I thought I should mention that until I get a new computer I will not be posting any more pictures as my current one is pretty much finished.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: