News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ice Age Giants

Started by scallenger, May 08, 2013, 08:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scallenger

Quite possibly something like that could happen. The trailers do state that it's "Sundays, From May 19th, 8PM" on BBC 2. I wonder how MANY Sundays that may be? Lol. That makes me wonder how much the trailers so far have really shown... is it all just from one episode, or glimpses of all the episodes (however many there are)? Can't wait to find out more!
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Yutyrannus

There are  three episodes: Land of the Sabretooth, Land of the Cave Bear, and Last of the Giants.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

scallenger

Ah, thank you! Well in that case the trailer seems to show bits from all three. Where did you find this out?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: scallenger on May 12, 2013, 07:09:03 PM
Ah, thank you! Well in that case the trailer seems to show bits from all three. Where did you find this out?
On the show's website on BBC2.
Here are some pictures from the trailers.

scallenger

Nice images! And here is the website mentioned:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018c9fm

It reveals a good bit about the program! Notably, the music composer of this series is David Mitcham, who seems to have done a lot of BBC and other nature documentary scores. They filmed at remote areas in the Grand Canyon, Siberia, an island in the Arctic Ocean, and the Washington Scablands! It also features some GREAT art photos in their gallery, including one of a neanderthal, which I guess will be also featured in the program that wasn't seen in the trailer.

Here are the descriptions for each episode. Only the first two episodes have a lengthy description, plus a runtime of 1 hour. It can be assumed each episode will be 1 hour long.

Land of the Sabre-tooth
Professor Alice Roberts journeys 40,000 years back in time on the trail of the great beasts of the Ice Age. Drawing on the latest scientific detective work and a dash of graphic wizardry, Alice brings the Ice Age giants back to life.

The Ice Age odyssey begins in the 'land of the sabre-tooth' - North America, a continent that was half covered by ice that was up to two miles thick. Yet this frozen land also boasts the most impressive cast of Ice Age giants in the world.

High in a cave in the Grand Canyon, Alice discovers the mummified poo of the loveable, grizzly bear-sized Shasta ground sloth. Lying in the sands of Arizona are the shelled remains of a glyptodon, surely the weirdest mammal that ever lived. On the coastal plains of California, Alice encounters the vast Columbian mammoth, an animal far larger than any elephant today.

These leviathans all have one thing in common: they were stalked by the meanest big cat that ever prowled the Earth, armed with seven-inch teeth and hunting in packs - Smilodon fatalis, the sabre-toothed cat.

Land Of The Cave Bear
In the Land of the Cave Bear, Alice ventures to the parts of the northern hemisphere, hit hardest by the cold - Europe and Siberia.

High in the mountains of Transylvania, a cave sealed for thousands of years reveals grisly evidence for a fight to the death between two staving giants, a cave bear and a cave lion. These animals, which would dwarf their modern day relatives, were probably driven into conflict by the pressure on food supplies as the Ice Age gathered pace.

Yet Alice discovers that, for woolly rhinos and woolly mammoths, the Ice Age created a bounty. The Mammoth Steppe, a vast tract of land which went half way round the world, provided food all year round, for those that liked the cold. It was these mammoths that Europe's most dangerous predators - Neanderthals and our own ancestors - hunted for their survival.

Last Of The Giants
What finally killed all the woolly rhinos, mammoths, sloths and sabre-tooth cats?

So... does Alice actually interact with the CGI creatures? Parts of the description make it seem like she does, but other parts make it seem like she is just after their remains, and then we probably see how she imagines it was? Still a bit confused, especially since so far in the trailers we don't see her actually interacting. I'm hoping she doesn't.

CityRaptor

Yes, that description sounds to be a bit unclear in that aspect.

Also, shouldn't they call them Behemoths, given that Leviathans are more on the aquatic side?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ChrisLikesDinos

Umm... this CG is really good. Looks like they augmented some live action footage of real animals with CG, but wow did it work. I seriously am impressed visually, and can't wait to see this.

Yutyrannus

This airs tomorrow! I can't wait!

Weaver

Primeval12

In the us or the UK and on what channel?

Edit: never mind i saw the answer in the trailer

Yutyrannus

I just found this clip on YouTube. It's  awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_RCBOJTi0

scallenger

Awesome clip! Apparently the first episode, "Land of the Sabre Tooth" is airing today.

The site now updated it's description of the 2nd episode:

Land Of The Cave Bear
In the Land of the Cave Bear, Alice ventures to the parts of the northern hemisphere, hit hardest by the cold - Europe and Siberia.

High in the mountains of Transylvania, a cave sealed for thousands of years reveals grisly evidence for a fight to the death between two staving giants, a cave bear and a cave lion. These animals, which would dwarf their modern day relatives, were probably driven into conflict by the pressure on food supplies as the Ice Age gathered pace.

Yet Alice discovers that, for woolly rhinos and woolly mammoths, the Ice Age created a bounty. The Mammoth Steppe, a vast tract of land which went half way round the world, provided food all year round, for those that liked the cold. It was these mammoths that Europe's most dangerous predators - Neanderthals and our own ancestors - hunted for their survival.

Balaur

Weaver

Woohoo! Well dang, such great reviews already!

Balaur

I was talking about the clip. I think the show will be amazing though!

Weaver

AH! The show was awesome! It was fantastic and aaaah. My love-affair with mammals is showing again. XD

scallenger

Ah, a UK resident I take it! :) So give us a bit of a review of the first episode, since who knows when a US resident like me will see it! :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: scallenger on May 20, 2013, 12:22:33 AM
Ah, a UK resident I take it! :) So give us a bit of a review of the first episode, since who knows when a US resident like me will see it! :)
Episode 1 part 1 is already up on Youtube! It's really cool!

Weaver

@Scallenger: I'm a US resident. I just have UK friends kind enough to stream it for me while I babble at them about paleontology. XD

darylj

Yeah I really enjoyed it. A very well put together show. Cant wait until next week!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: