News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by Ikessauro, March 13, 2012, 03:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

Thanks for the warnings.
Indeed he looked suspecious to me, given the price tags he put on some items - some are much higher than the retail price which is still available.
I was considering the Brachiosaurus - Now I'm not ...

Simon

Quote from: Bucklander on July 17, 2017, 02:25:38 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 17, 2017, 01:31:16 PM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on July 17, 2017, 04:17:10 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 17, 2017, 02:45:29 AM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on July 16, 2017, 10:52:32 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on July 16, 2017, 10:08:53 PM
;) Act fast if you want an original Battat Tyrannosaurus for a good price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201989393455?rmvSB=true

I find it funny the description says "very good condition", and it missing a finger and lot of paint. And it in the coin section too according to my ebay app. Lol I guess it would be fun for someone to customize it.

Why would you customize an original Battat when you could do the same with a cheap Terra of the same mold? It may be in poor condition but it's still kind of a vintage piece. The only thing I might do is touch it up and craft it a new finger.

I don't know people like to do strange things. And besides this one has the nice teeth not the peg teeth. Maybe someone wants to make a scared up one who been through a lot in it life. I saw someone on Facebook sorta customized I believe the second wave with the shoes. He put it on a base and gave it a nice paint job on it. I wouldn't do anything to it. I'm not much of a customizer, I'm not that good with paint. The only thing I ever did was with a Sharpie put eyes on my Anomalocaris from Safari and put claws on some dinosaurs. Lol

http://m.ebay.com/itm/132249025225?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150519202348&meid=d82dbcf88a3f42909dc4aa5be5724978&pid=100408&rk=1&rkt=25&sd=142434465230&_trksid=p2349624.c100408.m2460&_mwBanner=1

http://m.ebay.com/itm/142434465230?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150519202348&meid=abe3cee246c0449bb7523e4ed5145e84&pid=100408&rk=1&rkt=25&sd=132249025225&_trksid=p2349624.c100408.m2460&_mwBanner=1

Here are some Battat mini set A and B. The person wants $250 for each sets if anyone willing to pay for them.  Would be nice to have a mini Triceratops to go with my big one. Maybe even the Edmontonia too. But I'm not going to spend that much for them. Lol I not that crazy.

A word of caution on this seller: a few years ago a sent him a message asking if he had any proof that some resins which he claimed were the originals that the Battats were based off of and sculpted by Dan LoRusso were authentic and not modern-day recasts of the plastics. He got EXTREMELY angry at me for asking for any proof of their veracity and blocked me as a buyer. He didn't have any of course, other than his word. It's not like I asked in an impolite way or anything; I could post screenshots of our communication. It definitely seemed like he had something to hide. Positively the worst customer service I've ever had on eBay. This week he came to my attention again when a friend of mine on the East Coast started a feud with him over some MPC (Marx knockoff) molds that he has listed as Marx - he can't tell the difference but insists he's right. All I can say is BUYER BEWARE.

Yes, I too have had issues with this seller. I bought a Bullyland Brachiosaurus. The trouble is, when I got it, it was a totally different model from the one in the picture. Bullyland, yes, Brachiosaurus, yes, but not the same year. Completely different colour and sculpt. I'd been searching for the one in the photo for years. The one I received is commonly available (sorry, can't recall the years now).

Anyway, he then ignored my emails until I put in a dispute with eBay. Then he offered to refund the money on the condition I send back the figure but he would not pay return postage, which, from Australia, is like, sixty bucks or something, so I never got satisfaction. Just kept the figure and cut my losses. This seller (Artscollectables) cannot be trusted!

Well, I've never bought from him on ebay, but artscollectibles is Art Crecca who had THE internet store for high-end dinosaur resins for about 20 years in the 1990s -2000s.  I bought a number of large resins from him more than 10 years ago.

I will say that he did have a reputation as a bit overpriced, and could be a bit cantankerous at times - however I have NEVER heard of him passing off recasts as originals.  When he ran the "Triceratops Hill Ranch" internet store he was very much in the front of the battle against recasting. 

His reaction noted above to the person who asked him to verify that those Battats were not recasts sounds like vintage Art.  He would have been royally pissed off that anyone could ask HIM, the former "Dean" of dinosaur resin sellers whether he was passing off recasts.

He's now retired and his ebay sales are just odds and ends he had left over after he closed his internet store about 2009-10 or so.  (Or I should say he probably had a small warehouse of stuff left, hence he still has stuff to sell).

BlueKrono

If he was so against recasts you would think he would be more understanding of like-minded people who are trying to avoid buying fakes. His "cantankerous" behavior is really just rude, and it sounds from my friend on the East Coast and from Bucklander's experience here that he doesn't always know what he's got or isn't honest about it. That in conjunction with his profiteering prices would make me emphasize that this is not an individual you would ever want to do business with.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Simon

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 17, 2017, 04:20:29 PM
If he was so against recasts you would think he would be more understanding of like-minded people who are trying to avoid buying fakes. His "cantankerous" behavior is really just rude, and it sounds from my friend on the East Coast and from Bucklander's experience here that he doesn't always know what he's got or isn't honest about it. That in conjunction with his profiteering prices would make me emphasize that this is not an individual you would ever want to do business with.

*Chuckle* - I'm not disagreeing with you.  One of the reasons his internet store went out of business was his insistence on charging prices well above what the market would bear.  Once there was lower priced competition, he lost market share, and eventually closed his store.

About that time I read somewhere online that he took out an ad in Prehistoric Times complaining about the prices that his competition was charging!  ::)

ReMarxist

I am the one with the MPC/Marx feud. He has a bunch of SDC (well, supposedly SDC) critters for sale and he is listing them all as "SDC Marx". He says in the description that it's a reissue from the Marx molds done by SDC. So far so good. But in the pictures his megatherium and moschops are clearly MPC versions of those animals. Now, SDC had the MPC and Marx molds at different times, so, it would be an easy mistake to make if you were a seller.

I told him that his megatherium wasn't Marx. He said that yes it was because he "knew the guy that brought the molds back to the US" as if that matters. Point of fact, the Meg molds never returned to the US, as far as I heard. Allegedly they broke in the UK. It seems like he's just trying to get all he can and doesn't care. I mean seriously, who charges $15 for a loose MPC recast? I am pretty much brand new to dinosaur collecting and I only collect stuff that is, or is tangentially related to, the Marx recasts by Superior of the mid 1980's. I have been picking up the MPC creatures for about a buck apiece these last 5 years.

postsaurischian

BlueKrono

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 02, 2017, 10:23:21 PM
:o Hey Doug! They're trying to sell your "prototype" here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dinosaur-PROTOTYPE-12-SAFARI-Tyrannosaurus-2017-RARE/122628076015

Wow, they managed to get the original all the way in Hong Kong!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reptilia

This is an unpainted factory produced piece, no? I don't think they bothered to get one and paint it white to sell it as a fake rarity online.

stargatedalek

I can see flecks of the original paint in places.

Doug Watson

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 02, 2017, 10:23:21 PM
:o Hey Doug! They're trying to sell your "prototype" here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dinosaur-PROTOTYPE-12-SAFARI-Tyrannosaurus-2017-RARE/122628076015

Isn't that interesting, in an annoying, infuriating, where's my gun kind of way  >:(
Thanks I'll pass this on to Safari Ltd but unfortunately when it comes to countries that don't respect copyright there is little that can be done.

Flaffy

I believe that Hong Kong seller got that unpainted model from TaoBao, which there are plenty of.
Models with paint defects and sometimes no paint at all make their way to TaoBao for a darn low price.

Reptilia

What this auction is violating, exactly? Is it because they wrote "prototype" instead of "unpainted piece"?

SBell

Quote from: Reptilia on August 03, 2017, 11:13:00 PM
What this auction is violating, exactly? Is it because they wrote "prototype" instead of "unpainted piece"?

It's problematic because it is a proprietary piece from Safari Ltd that has come from less-than-proper sources. Safari wouldn't sell 'unpainted' or 'flawed' pieces--so they get sold on a secondary market under shady circumstances.

And yet it is still advertising itself as a new model from Safari.

Reptilia

Unless that particular piece have been stolen I don't know what's wrong in trying to sell it, and I believe it would be pretty difficult to prove, in case. Everything sold online by private sellers could be illegal, theoretically.

Daspletotyrannus

Georassic

I just listed a few dino-goodies. I've advertised most of these elsewhere in the DTF Classifieds, but never got any bites... if you missed them and are interested, message me.
www.ebay.com/sch/georassic/m.html

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: