News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Toy Dinosaur Film & TV Cameos

Started by Invicta Hunter, June 12, 2013, 04:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invicta Hunter

I don't know if anyone really cares about this but i was watching last nights Defiance episode and i noticed something at the end of the show. There's a Carnegie dinosaur mountain in the surgery, it's kind of a weird thing to have in a sci-fi show.

Blade-of-the-Moon

You noticed that too eh ? lol   I think it's the Monterey Bay or sealife version.

Not so weird, much of the stuff in the show is scavenged and re-purposed..I'm not sure what is displayed on it though.

Invicta Hunter

I think it has plants growing on it but im not too sure.

Blade-of-the-Moon

There are a lot of plants there, I assume the character really likes them having no knowledge of the universe other than the show.  Looks like it has a label in front as well.

Invicta Hunter

I tried finding a good shot of the front so i could read it but there's no good angles in that episode, maybe in a future one.

Roselaar

Funny, in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation there's a custom made mountain display filled with Carnegiesaurs and Invictas, and here we have a Carnegie mountain set without dinosaurs, kinda the exact opposite. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Interesting..pic ?

Maybe an HD shot would help read it ? Unless it's an alien language. lol

Invicta Hunter

Quote from: Roselaar on June 13, 2013, 09:14:08 PM
Funny, in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation there's a custom made mountain display filled with Carnegiesaurs and Invictas, and here we have a Carnegie mountain set without dinosaurs, kinda the exact opposite. :)

Do you know which episode of Star Trek the Carnegie and Invicta figures are in because i've seen all the episodes but i can't remember seeing them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe an episode featuring the school ? There were a few of those though.

Roselaar

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on June 13, 2013, 10:06:28 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on June 13, 2013, 09:14:08 PM

Do you know which episode of Star Trek the Carnegie and Invicta figures are in because i've seen all the episodes but i can't remember seeing them.

Brothers, Season 4. It's in Dr. Soong's work space, together with a T-Rex skull. Apparently the good doctor spend his off hours playing with dinosaurs instead of working on positronic neural nets. :)

In the picture below the old man can be spied putting an unfortunate Carnegiesaur (ironically the T-Rex it seems) between the Rex's jaws:

And here his "son" catches his dad in the act of playing with his toys:

Blade-of-the-Moon

heh heh ;D cool.. I didn't recall that at all..might have to start watching NG again on Netflix.

Jetoar

Very cool that we see figures in movies  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Invicta Hunter

That's great, if this show was real that would make those Invicta and Carnegie figures a couple of hundred years old, real collectors items lol

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on June 16, 2013, 02:56:11 AM
That's great, if this show was real that would make those Invicta and Carnegie figures a couple of hundred years old, real collectors items lol
I recall a TNG ep where a kid was playing with a chinasaur...LOL

I laughed a bit when, in TOS, Spock referred to something as a "dinosaur" in reference to it being obsolete. I think it was the episode with the M5 computer, but I can't remember all that well.

Roselaar

Then of course there is a JPS1 Red Rex in Stallone's Daylight, a Carnegie Diplodocus in Jurassic Park, and I recently spotted this in the Dutch kid's movie Dolfje Weerwolfje:

Anybody has more examples? I'd love to see a thread about dinosaur figure appearances in movies and TV shows. :)

KeU

There was a Carnegie Tyrannosaurus near the ending of Inception,

Roselaar

Quote from: KeU on June 16, 2013, 01:58:03 PM
There was a Carnegie Tyrannosaurus near the ending of Inception,

How could I forget! Next to it there is a generic Sauropod Chinasaur if I'm not mistaken:

Then there's the Pteranodon in the first Toy Story that bears more than a little resemblance to the JPS1 Pteranodon figure:

And of course Rex from Toy Story is clearly inspired by the classic Dino Riders T-Rex.

Brontozaurus

At some point in Firefly (or maybe it was Serenity) there's a JPIII Spinosaurus among Wash's dinosaur collection. All the others are chinasaurs.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Roselaar

Quote from: Brontozaurus on June 16, 2013, 03:14:43 PM
At some point in Firefly (or maybe it was Serenity) there's a JPIII Spinosaurus among Wash's dinosaur collection. All the others are chinasaurs.

It was both the TV-show and the movie that showcased Wash's love for dinosaurs. Chinasaurs or not, those are some real Earth-that-was collector's items. :)
I think the nature of the displayed dinosaurs also varied from episode to episode. Sometimes they were all Chinasaurs, other times quality figures were thrown in, including Safari products.

That's not a Battat Edmontonia, is it...?

Funny thing is, when looking for pictures I stumbled upon entire threads on Firefly forums about these dinosaurs. :)

And let us not forget Charlie from Jurassic Park III, who also played with some good dinosaur toys:

Blade-of-the-Moon

" Charlie, those are herbivores and they don't really fight..but these are carnivores and the REALLY like to fight ! "
;D

Wash's workspace looks so much many of ours I'd warrant.. ;)
I believe that's the Battat knockoff..the sauropod there is from the same set if I recall.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: