News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Looking for Sinclair Dinoland Molds

Started by Gwangi, July 10, 2013, 08:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

For some reason, these really appeal to me. Though I did not live in the era they were first produced they have a nostalgic and historic charm to them. I would very much like to collect these. Does anyone have any they don't want?

amargasaurus cazaui

I had understood these were produced at the Worlds Fair if not several times at least once. You could go and pay a price and make your own dinosaur right on the spot, in whatever color you chose.
I am fond of the Sinclairs but I always liked the gas premium figures even better, they look so almost Marxish.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 10, 2013, 08:52:01 PM
I had understood these were produced at the Worlds Fair if not several times at least once. You could go and pay a price and make your own dinosaur right on the spot, in whatever color you chose.
I am fond of the Sinclairs but I always liked the gas premium figures even better, they look so almost Marxish.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is one of those Mold-A-Rama machines at the Field Museum in Chicago but I don't see myself traveling to anyplace that has one anytime soon.

tyrantqueen

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 10, 2013, 10:28:40 PM
If you're feeling indulgent there's always this >:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonas-Studios-Worlds-Fair-Sinclair-Oil-Brontosaurus-Statue-/390623189962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af2f4dbca

OMG, that is a real thing of beauty! Along with the Tyrannosaurus, the Brontosaurus (I'm calling it that because...just look at it) is my favorite of those Dinoland models. But no...I'm not that indulgent, I wish I could be.

Minnesota Jones

Here's a great site if you haven't seen it yet about the World's Fair Sinclair exhibit, lots of pages of great photos and other info...

http://www.nywf64.com/sinclair01.shtml

Gwangi

Thanks for sharing that link, I should be able to use up some time with that!

Halichoeres

I know this is a super-old thread, but if anybody wants the Field Museum Mold-o-Rama figures, I work there and could get them for you on my lunch break. I could even ship them from our mail room so they're addressed from the museum. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 30, 2015, 04:06:48 PM
I know this is a super-old thread, but if anybody wants the Field Museum Mold-o-Rama figures, I work there and could get them for you on my lunch break. I could even ship them from our mail room so they're addressed from the museum. :)

That's neat. I visited the Field back in 2005 and got a behind the scenes tour of the model shop, mould making shop, brackets shop and the new dinosaur hall that was under construction. Do you mind me asking what area you work in, I was amazed you had separate shops for all of the above. Where I worked at the Museum of Nature in Ottawa we were expected to do all those things and more in the Model & Diorama shop. While I was at the Field I completed my mini Sinclair collection with your Mold-A-Rama machines.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 30, 2015, 04:06:48 PM

That would be fantastic! I still have not acquired these despite the age of the thread. How much would they end up costing?

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's a great offer! I'd be happy to take you up on it! Shoot me a PM or an email : [email protected]

Halichoeres

Doug: that's awesome! I haven't even seen the model shop or any of the exhibit-production areas. I work in the DNA lab and the Fishes division. I'm an ichthyologist doing molecular phylogenetics, anatomy, and illustration.

Gwangi: They're not expensive. There are four molds--Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, some flavor of sauropod, Stegosaurus--but occasionally one of them is out of order, so I'd have to double check to make sure they're all working, but let's say 13 bucks for the set of 4, including domestic shipping? Maybe a shade more if you're international, or if you want specific colors (I think they come in blue, red, orange, and green, but if I recall correctly it's a crap-shoot which one you get). I'd also be willing to trade if you have extra of something.

Blade: PM forthcoming, but I'd be offering you the same deal.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Turns out they're actually called "Mold-a-Rama," not "Mold-o-Rama," as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhTMI8vDxfM

Imagine my embarrassment.

UK

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 30, 2015, 07:41:54 PM
Doug: that's awesome! I haven't even seen the model shop or any of the exhibit-production areas. I work in the DNA lab and the Fishes division. I'm an ichthyologist doing molecular phylogenetics, anatomy, and illustration.

Gwangi: They're not expensive. There are four molds--Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, some flavor of sauropod, Stegosaurus--but occasionally one of them is out of order, so I'd have to double check to make sure they're all working, but let's say 13 bucks for the set of 4, including domestic shipping? Maybe a shade more if you're international, or if you want specific colors (I think they come in blue, red, orange, and green, but if I recall correctly it's a crap-shoot which one you get). I'd also be willing to trade if you have extra of something.

Blade: PM forthcoming, but I'd be offering you the same deal.

Colors don't really matter, I believe you're correct that they're random. Shoot me a PM too so we can work out the details.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 30, 2015, 07:41:54 PM

I was hoping we might have crossed paths back then but I didn't get to meet anyone in the research section. Matthew Groves was the head of the Replications Shop at the time and he graciously gave me a very in depth tour of the display shops. I had a long and humorous chat with the two guys in the moulding department, they were a couple of characters. Did you know that the 1997 horror film The Relic was filmed at the Field? It's about a scientist who does some cross species blending on himself. I got a real kick out of seeing it after my tour because I saw the same old wooden framed offices that the monster smashed through in the museum. Obviously the film crew replicated them but it was neat nonetheless. It's a pretty good horror film if you are into that sort of thing.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 30, 2015, 07:53:11 PM
Turns out they're actually called "Mold-a-Rama," not "Mold-o-Rama," as you can see here:
Imagine my embarrassment.

Did you notice the tip of the tail gets knocked off at 1:22 of the video? I learned that if you get a dud you can take it to the security desk I believe and they have a supply of replacements. That happened with my Triceratops.

Halichoeres

Nope, I didn't start at the museum until 2010. I'd love to see all the exhibit stuff. There are a couple of people from that department that I have lunch with on Fridays to practice Spanish, I should ask them for a tour.

I have seen the Relic, the catwalk that features in some of the scenes runs right above my office door. Most of the collections have been moved from there now, though!

I actually did not notice the broken tail tip, that's funny! I'll make sure to get replacements from security if anyone's toy gets broken--unless they're the sorts of collectors who like manufacturing defects.

amargasaurus cazaui

Do you by chance ever bump into Paul Serreno there...he is quite high on a list I am working on
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: