News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sideshow DINOSAURIA (with poll)

Started by postsaurischian, March 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are your 3 favourite Sideshow 'Dinosauria' models?

1. Allosaurus vs. Camarasaurus diorama
4 (22.2%)
2. Apatosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
3. Brachiosaurus ornament
0 (0%)
4. Carnotaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
5. Ceratosaurus
1 (5.6%)
6. Deinosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus diorama
3 (16.7%)
7. Dilophosaurus maquette
0 (0%)
8. Euoplocephalus in Egg maquette
0 (0%)
9. Gastonia
3 (16.7%)
10. Mosasaur statue
3 (16.7%)
11. Protoceratops vs. Velociraptor diorama
0 (0%)
12. Spinosaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
13. Stegosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
14. Styracosaurus maquette
1 (5.6%)
15. Triceratops statue
2 (11.1%)
16. Tupuxuara maquette
2 (11.1%)
17. Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
5 (27.8%)
18. Tyrannosaurus rex vs. Triceratops diorama
1 (5.6%)
19. T-rex: 'The Tyrant King' statue
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's more the paint work I'm concerned with..Jorges original sketch also had more fluidity to it I think.

Yes Adam, what is your opinion on this piece so far ?

Not sure on the size and price point yet..I'm hoping it more affordable than the last couple pieces.

tanystropheus

How does that thing not topple over!? It looks so top heavy! :o Perhaps, the base is heavier than the model for the purpose of counter-balancing?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 29, 2013, 05:48:32 AM
How does that thing not topple over!? It looks so top heavy! :o Perhaps, the base is heavier than the model for the purpose of counter-balancing?
Maybe the upper half of the mosasaur is hollow, and the lower part (the coral reef) is solid and reinforced? I'm sure Sideshow has thought this through :)

postsaurischian

:o Gosh!! Awesome! MUST HAVE the Mosasaur!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 29, 2013, 05:48:32 AM

Could be..but this isn't the most jaw dropping balancing act we've seen..many of the past pieces were precariously perched.  Just look at how the very first piece in the line was positioned..the T-Rex VS Triceratops Dio. Both animals supported by a smaller stone base which connects at one of the Trike's feet...I frankly still don't understand that one.

Concavenator

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 29, 2013, 05:44:55 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 29, 2013, 02:26:58 AM
Preview pic of the new Mosasaur :

Amazing. How much is this stunning beauty?

I think this just might be the best Dinosauria model of all time!
Awesome!However I have 0% chance of having one (*The 'too big' and 'too expensive'problem*)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on October 29, 2013, 06:55:08 AM

Awesome!However I have 0% chance of having one (*The 'too big' and 'too expensive'problem*)

Well we don't know the size or the price yet. ;)   I will say these pieces are great investments and worth forgoing a few figures or toy replicas ( which are generally easier to get ) for.  :)

freyreuxine13

I know how you feel bro. That's how I feel all the time lol

tyrantqueen

Same here...I don't own a single Sideshow statue for the same reasons. But I still admire the sculpting skill behind them.

amanda

O.O  A mososaur swimming around with it's mouth closed??!! Yay!!

Everything_Dinosaur

Impressive Mosasaur - does it have a forked tail?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on October 29, 2013, 03:19:38 PM
Impressive Mosasaur - does it have a forked tail?

Or a forked tongue, for that matter! ;) I look forward to seeing photos of the entire mode. First impressions are that it is impressive! I'm a bit suspicious about the simple 'mosasaur' title, surely it is based on one genus or another, why not give it a name?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Judging by the sketch and prototype..it may have some slight fork to the tail : http://imageshack.us/a/img708/5564/w9j1.jpg

I suspect Sideshow is being general again. The Tupuxuara was labeled : Pterodactly - Tupuxuara .  So maybe it will get a more specific name in the full release. I could just ask Jorge and see what he says of course. We were discussing this on the sideshow forums.. pterodactyl is pretty popular..it's even in my spell check , but is Mosasaurus known better than any other name ?

tyrantqueen

If by "fork", you mean the tail fluke, I don't think it has one.

This is what the tail is supposed to look like:

I don't see that in the tail.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The sketch has a bit of a tip and a downward slope to it...not sure about the final sculpt as the end of the tail is hidden.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Jorge has confirmed this piece is Tylosaurus with a bit of a prehistoric Kansas environment.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 30, 2013, 02:43:46 AM
Jorge has confirmed this piece is Tylosaurus with a bit of a prehistoric Kansas environment.

If this piece was only released a few years ago, then Papo could have been "inspired" by it. Instead, we were left with some animatronic remnant from The Land that Time Forgot.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 30, 2013, 06:12:43 AM

If this piece was only released a few years ago, then Papo could have been "inspired" by it. Instead, we were left with some animatronic remnant from The Land that Time Forgot.
I know this is off topic, but are you the same Tanystropheus as seen here? http://tanystropheus.wordpress.com/

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 31, 2013, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on October 30, 2013, 06:12:43 AM

I know this is off topic, but are you the same Tanystropheus as seen here? http://tanystropheus.wordpress.com/

No, that is not me. I don't possess enough knowledge about prehistorics to actually start a blog...sigh  :-\

rfdelgado

I like this piece.

There's Tylosaurs in my new story but I drew waves over their tails so as to avoid the whole fluke controversy.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: