News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radman

Got the new CollectA Diplo a few days ago, and overall the figure is impressive - until you look halfway up the neck.  :P
The pencilneck and teensy head ruin an otherwise fine figure, rivalling the BMNH dippy for creepiness.  A head transplant may be in order...
I mean, the heads couldn't really have been that small, could they?  :-\

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Ikessauro on July 02, 2013, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: Seijun on July 02, 2013, 08:29:18 PM

In addition I finally won one this beauty. 4th time's the charm:

How did you find it? I really want to get this rex...

I've seen this guy on ebay twice..is it the X-Plus T-Rex ? I recall seeing  a pic of it in PT ages ago and it looks familiar.

Seijun

I dont know much about it. Blackdanter posted this info in another thread, though:
"XPlus issued the Albertasaurus and Styracosaurus in the US, Happinet issued the Styracosaurus and Rex in Japan. In Japan, the Styracosaurus was issued with a base but it was exactly the same model. Here's a link to Happinet's site: http://happinettoys.com/daikyoryujidai/softbig.html"

I will add that the styrac that was released in japan was a slightly different color than the US version.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: radman on July 04, 2013, 10:02:42 PM
Got the new CollectA Diplo a few days ago, and overall the figure is impressive - until you look halfway up the neck.  :P
The pencilneck and teensy head ruin an otherwise fine figure, rivalling the BMNH dippy for creepiness.  A head transplant may be in order...
I mean, the heads couldn't really have been that small, could they?  :-\

Have you seen a sauropod skeleton? Given their huge size, many of their skulls would comfortably fit in an adult's hand (maybe sticking out a little...). It is just such a strange proportion to our modern, mammal eyes that we feel the need to 'fix' it (look at what happens to most Stegosaurus figures--the skulls are WAY to large compared to reality--the Safari is one of the few that really captures how ridiculously small the skull is).

radman

So, do you think it is acceptably accurate?  The Battat dippy has a very small head, but the large neck leading up to it seems more logical and natural-looking, but what the heck, anything is possible, I reckon.

Seijun

The head of diplodocus was roughly the size of a horses head, under 2" long, on a body that was 90+ feet in length (including the tail). In another thread, Shane Foulkes posted "the standards for many of the Diplodocus mounts are NECK-22ft.- BODY 13ft.- TAIL 55ft.  total length 90ft."

Few plastic models do justice to the strange proportions of this animal. The battat version had a wonderful head and neck, and probably the only plastic model to also give the animal a very slender body (although the body was too long). The collecta model has very good proportions, except that they made the usual mistake of giving it a very wide body frame like an apatosaurus. Dippy was more like a greyhound by comparison. The neck on the colecta model is also too thin. It needs more bulk like on the battat model. Overall though I would say that the collecta model has the most accurate proportions of any dippy toy currently on the market.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

docronnie

Congrats radman on your Collecta Diplo!  :)

Here are what I got today:

Favorite Soft Model Parasuarolophus - 2004

Safari Ltd. The Carnegie Ankylosaurus - 2004

TFL!  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

suspsy

Picked up this beauty on Tuesday.:)

WHO WILL WIN???

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on July 05, 2013, 03:22:09 PM
Picked up this beauty on Tuesday.:)

WHO WILL WIN???

OMG Were did you get the brown running tyrannosaurus!!??Please tell me,I have been searching for it but there aren't any results.As for the Carnotaurus,which I love a LOT,I think it will be my next purchase

tyrantqueen

QuoteOMG Were did you get the brown running tyrannosaurus!!??Please tell me,I have been searching for it but there aren't any results.As for the Carnotaurus,which I love a LOT,I think it will be my next purchase
The brown rex was a "limited edition" of sorts, only a small number were made. Getting ahold of one is very difficult. There was a store selling them, but (were they French? Can't remember) I believe they have run out of stock. Also, the selection process was completely random, you would either get a brown or a green.

Concavenator

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 05, 2013, 03:36:34 PM
QuoteOMG Were did you get the brown running tyrannosaurus!!??Please tell me,I have been searching for it but there aren't any results.As for the Carnotaurus,which I love a LOT,I think it will be my next purchase
The brown rex was a "limited edition" of sorts, only a small number were made. Getting ahold of one is very difficult. There was a store selling them, but (were they French? Can't remember) I believe they have run out of stock. Also, the selection process was completely random, you would either get a brown or a green.
Thanks answering!The Carnotaurus looks gorgeous,can't wait to get it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Juan Andrés on July 05, 2013, 03:49:51 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 05, 2013, 03:36:34 PM
Thanks answering!The Carnotaurus looks gorgeous,can't wait to get it.

Just a thought, you could have someone paint a green running Rex brown for you..unless your tryign to collect a real one. :)

suspsy

Quote from: Juan Andrés on July 05, 2013, 03:26:43 PM
OMG Were did you get the brown running tyrannosaurus!!??Please tell me,I have been searching for it but there aren't any results.As for the Carnotaurus,which I love a LOT,I think it will be my next purchase

I received it from Mastermind Toys last year. There's no specific listing for green or brown on their site, however. Just pure awesome luck.

Here's another pic for you:
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

radman

So the CollectA Dippy could be a little leaner, neck a little thicker, head is OK?  I'll just pose it from the side, where neither flaw (IMO) is as obvious.  I do give them credit for producing new species, and interesting takes on the standards.  Speaking of which, I also got a bunch of Favorites, Brachi, Allo, Spino and Para quite cheaply from Dejankins.  They are all nicely done; the pebbly texture of the previous versions has  been mostly replaced with skinfolds and scutes.  At these prices I'll probably go back soon and pick up the rest as well!

Concavenator

Thanks so much!I will see if I can get mine.Also ,thanks for the image of it and the baby.Cheers! :)

FUTABA

Quote from: docronnie on July 05, 2013, 01:39:51 PM

Here are what I got today:

Favorite Soft Model Parasuarolophus - 2004

Nice. :) Been meaning to get one of these for a while. Haven't seen them on Ebay for a while though.
I really really like blue things.

FUTABA

I really really like blue things.

sauroid

Quote from: suspsy on July 05, 2013, 07:00:56 PM
Quote from: Juan Andrés on July 05, 2013, 03:26:43 PM

I received it from Mastermind Toys last year. There's no specific listing for green or brown on their site, however. Just pure awesome luck.

Here's another pic for you:

the brown rex is IMO better looking than the green rex, i hope Papo would reissue it again in the near future.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Turret

Got my hands on a Bullyland Tyrannosaurus, looks a bit better in person than I thought it would ... but needs some "fixing".

docronnie

Thanks Futaba! I believe I just got lucky getting one.  I have 3 Favorite Collection figures at the moment.  The other two are Pteranodon and Styracosaurus.

Congrats suspsy on your new Papo Carno!  Those Papo figs are really a beauty!  :)

I believe you bought the new Favorite models, radman. If you bought the solid ones, they were designed by Kazunari Araki.  Congrats!  :)

Congrats Turret on your Bullyland Tyrannosaurus! Hope to see a photo soon. :)

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: