You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintingdinos

Finally received this lovely Dunk, a nice companion to his Spino comrade  >:D

Both from: https://www.facebook.com/PREYcollectionStudio/

Mackeral

tyrantqueen

I recall that the Dunk was 1/50 or so in scale, how about the Spino? Might have to pick up a copy for myself.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 02, 2018, 10:50:09 AM
I recall that the Dunk was 1/50 or so in scale, how about the Spino? Might have to pick up a copy for myself.

Info directly from FB:

Spinosaurus resin model kit ,1/56 scale
Sold by PREY collection Studio
$ 90,00

IrritatorRaji

Saw these repaints on Etsy and I snatched 'em right up. I've always loathed the JW toys and I've never had any intentions of getting one, but when I saw that these were made to look like the Allosaurus from Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (and that they were dirt cheap for repaints, £7 and £1 respectively) and just had to have them. They're no where near the nicest figures I've ever seen, but the repaint is just so much more desirable than that weird mish-mash of yellow, cream and red that the Allo used to have. 
(Another thing that made me love them was the fact that the seller filled the larger Allo's bullet holes)

Not my pictures, but they're coming all the way from Canada to England so I may have to wait a while to see them in person :)

If anyone's interested, the seller, CoffeeWithTheCynic, sells lots of other repaints. More often than not they're JW toy repaints, but occasionally you'll see older Kenner figures repainted as well as bootlegs of brands like Safari (if they're bootlegged, it'll say in the title)

paintingdinos

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on February 03, 2018, 06:05:55 PM
If anyone's interested, the seller, CoffeeWithTheCynic, sells lots of other repaints. More often than not they're JW toy repaints, but occasionally you'll see older Kenner figures repainted as well as bootlegs of brands like Safari (if they're bootlegged, it'll say in the title)

Those are some nice repaints. The artist is well underselling themselves.

I've thought about selling off some of my own repaints, and was hoping someone would post something like this, so I could get an idea for what people charge. Too bad for this seller, they certainly aren't charging what their time was worth.

Faelrin

Even the sculpt still has its faults, that color scheme looks way better on it then the previous one. I bet the Kenner Allosaurus color scheme would have worked well too, since it's only a slight hue difference.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: paintingdinos on February 03, 2018, 06:49:52 PM

I've thought about selling off some of my own repaints, and was hoping someone would post something like this, so I could get an idea for what people charge. Too bad for this seller, they certainly aren't charging what their time was worth.

I do agree, but painting isn't his main thing, he's mainly a film reviewer who paints as a hobby and the reason he's selling stuff so cheaply is because he's trying to clear room. He makes videos about his repaints and he does acknowledge that he's not great, but he's always looking for critique and advice. So, in a sense, yeah, he's really underselling himself, but I can kinda understand why. He doesn't really seem to be in it for the money, which I can appreciate as I used to do the same thing a couple years ago, selling my ink drawings for £1.

Side note though, PLEASE sell some of your repaints! I bought this for £35 ($49), this for £45 ($63), and someone I know got this for £51 ($75). Your repaints are miles better than these and your resculpts are next level, you could charge anything and it'll be fine! ;D

Joey

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on February 03, 2018, 08:16:35 PM
Quote from: paintingdinos on February 03, 2018, 06:49:52 PM

I do agree, but painting isn't his main thing, he's mainly a film reviewer who paints as a hobby and the reason he's selling stuff so cheaply is because he's trying to clear room. He makes videos about his repaints and he does acknowledge that he's not great, but he's always looking for critique and advice. So, in a sense, yeah, he's really underselling himself, but I can kinda understand why. He doesn't really seem to be in it for the money, which I can appreciate as I used to do the same thing a couple years ago, selling my ink drawings for £1.

Side note though, PLEASE sell some of your repaints! I bought this for £35 ($49), this for £45 ($63), and someone I know got this for £51 ($75). Your repaints are miles better than these and your resculpts are next level, you could charge anything and it'll be fine! ;D
I second that

paintingdinos

Quote from: Joey on February 03, 2018, 08:49:44 PM
Quote from: IrritatorRaji on February 03, 2018, 08:16:35 PM

I second that

First of all, thank you both. I've got a couple of things that I'm just not in love with anymore and would like to find new homes for... but first I have to work up the nerve to actually part with them. I'm a little sentimental  :'(

The other repaints are cool too, IrritatorRaji. I saw you post them originally, but its helpful to know the price. Thanks! And your ink drawing looks great, you shouldn't sell yourself short!

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: paintingdinos on February 03, 2018, 09:05:11 PM

First of all, thank you both. I've got a couple of things that I'm just not in love with anymore and would like to find new homes for... but first I have to work up the nerve to actually part with them. I'm a little sentimental  :'(

The other repaints are cool too, IrritatorRaji. I saw you post them originally, but its helpful to know the price. Thanks! And your ink drawing looks great, you shouldn't sell yourself short!

I understand how sentimental one can get with their creations. When I did commissions, I would always keep the original copy and give the buyer a photocopy (yeah yeah, sounds dumb, but I was chargin' 'em £1, I didn't have to be professional ;D It was also so I could make edits if the buyer requested and be able to photocopy more if the buyer lost or damaged theirs). If you don't mind me asking, which models are you looking to get rid of?

Also, about my painting, I was a student back then selling my art to other kids at school, so I had to think about what my fellow piers could afford. But selling them for £1 wasn't really because I believed I couldn't sell them for higher, but because I knew that was all I needed to buy chips (fries) on the way home ;)

IrritatorRaji

Didn't think I'd be posting here again so soon! Got this PNSO Rex for free and he finally arrived today!

I will admit, it was really weird when I was asked if I wanted this guy for free, but the person who sent him to me was so nice and genuine, I'm so grateful to him!

Lanthanotus

Wouldn't have said "no" neither, that' s sure :D

sauroid

IrritatorRaji: what's the story behind that generosity? :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: sauroid on February 04, 2018, 02:45:23 PM
IrritatorRaji: what's the story behind that generosity? :)

Tell you the truth, I'm really not sure o.o He said that it didn't fit into his collection and that he'd rather send it to someone who'd like it more than he did. I mean, I offered to pay, even for just the shipping, but he still was just like "nah just take it"

(Conversation goes on for a little bit)

And then out of nowhere

I'm still so giddy and excited about it, it just feels so unreal to have a model that I never thought I'd be able to own! ;D

sauroid

you're very lucky! and it's quite rare to meet someone like that who doesnt think in terms of $$, good karma for him. happy for you too. :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Faelrin

Wow that was very generous of them to give that to you, free of charge.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ITdactyl

ok, that person is awesome.  Nice to "hear" stories like these from time to time.

Shonisaurus

A great person who gave you the PNSO tyrannosaurus. Life or God according to the beliefs that each member of the forum has has to help him a lot.  :o  ;)

Patrx

There's something very wrong with my bookshelf...
Or, at least, there was, until I finally got my hands of a copy of this, the most influential work of the Dinosaur Renaissance! It's flat-out weird that I never owned a copy until now.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: