You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ornithopods: Glamazons of the Mesozoic

Started by Bokisaurus, August 27, 2013, 11:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

When it comes to physical appearance, these groups have it all: exotic beauty, outrageous headdress, height that would make any supermodel jealous and perhaps flamboyant colors. Add in their talent for vocalizing, and then you have a perfect candidate for a pageant!

The group called Ornithopod (the name is Greek for "bird-footed")    has a worldwide distribution. Fossils of these animals were found on almost every continent with the exception of Antarctica (not yet anyway)
They rivaled their ceratopsian contemporaries in their diversity of species, and also in their success in dominating the Late Jurassic and Cretaceous landscapes.
And just like the ceratopsians, they too, sported spectacular headgears (although not as flamboyant).
From simple knobs, to domed helmets, to the spectacular fan and tubular shaped crest that later hadrosaurs displayed, these guys are truly one of the most interestingly adorned dinosaurs.

As for their size, like many, they have a humble small beginning. These early ornithopods were small, and started mostly as bipeds. Throughout their long evolution, they have increased in their size, as well as spending more time on all four. Towards the end of their reign, some members of this group have grown large, so large that they rivaled some of the medium sauropods in size.

Based on fossil and footprint evidence, it is believed that most were herding animals that formed big herds, much like modern antelopes and bison do today. Most were inhabitants of the plains and woodland, and some may even have migrated.

As far as toy figures, some members, such as Iguanodon and parasaurolophus, was one of the first to have toy representations.
Perhaps due to this, it also happened that these two species are the most popular subject for toy makers. Other members of the group have made appearances here and there, but not as ubiquitous as these two species.
It was only much later that other, more obscure species, started to make regular appearances. Species such as Tsintaosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Olorotitan, Edmontosaurus has seen their popularity rise in recent years.
Let the music play, here comes the glamazons! ;D

[

Few missing, I have them, but not photographed are the kaiyodos, Yowies, Discovery, and a bunch of others. Will add as I find them,  enjoy ;D

Bokisaurus

Duckbill set of 1:72 scale ShapeWay figures by mb-cg

Bokisaurus

CollectA's 1:40 Parasaurolophus. It's a nice robust and big figure. Lot's of details on this guy. As you can see, it is much larger than 1:40
Looking closely, you will notice a hint of a crest sail, a nice little touch.
This figure supposed to represent the latest findings that duckbills are much more bulky and muscular animals ;D
[]

Bokisaurus

Bullyland 2014 Labeo joins the herd. Nice figure and in a very active pose for a change.
She quickly bonded with her new BFF, CollectA's Para ;)

Megalosaurus

Ignoring the colours, in your opinión, which is the best one? Invicta or Bullyland lambeosaurus?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Libraraptor

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Megalosaurus on April 30, 2014, 10:40:25 PM
Ignoring the colours, in your opinión, which is the best one? Invicta or Bullyland lambeosaurus?

I am very fond of the Invicta figure, however, to give due credit, I think the Bullyland is more refined and reflect the more recent study of the species when it comes to body proportion. In the end, it boils down to personal preference ^-^

Bokisaurus

Kaiyodo Dinoland 1:20 scale Para, finally got this puppy :D It's a large and beautiful figure, rich in details.

Bokisaurus

It's been a while :)
Two iguanodon figures
[]

Paleona

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 15, 2013, 06:54:04 PM
CollectA's 1:40 Parasaurolophus. It's a nice robust and big figure. Lot's of details on this guy. As you can see, it is much larger than 1:40
Looking closely, you will notice a hint of a crest sail, a nice little touch.
This figure supposed to represent the latest findings that duckbills are much more bulky and muscular animals ;D

Beautiful collection!  I would love to add more Paras and other hadrosaurs to my "herd"  :))  I was wondering, though- what model is the orange Para at the front of this photo?  I love it's sculpt so much! <3
edit: Upon closer inspection- is that the older Favorite Para, repainted?  Wow, it looks fantastic.  :)  I really love how that model is bulkier than the newer Favorite Parasaurolophus- the factory rainbow paint job is just super flashy! 

Halichoeres

When I first started collecting, I made heavy use of threads like this one to build my wish list. In the interest of paying it forward, allow me to supplement Boki's incredible gallery.

Yowie Fulgurotherium, Yowie Atlascopcosaurus, Vivid's Walking with Dinosaurs 3D Parksosaurus

Jakks Scanopedia "Othnielia" (Othnielosaurus), Geoworld Jurassic Hunters Thescelosaurus

CollectA Camptosaurus, Bullyland Iguanodon
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Well, a new Glamazon joins the herd!
PNSO's beautiful Shantungosaurus :))
This figure is so beautiful and very dramatic pose! And yes, super huge, too!
[
Finally, a large figure of this species, very well worth acquiring and adding to any collection.
The figure came with a booklet, all in Chinese  unfortunately, but the artwork inside are beautiful.

Bokisaurus

PNSO Mini Olorotitan figure - Beautiful little one ^-^
[]

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

AcroSauroTaurus

My ornithopods

Figures:
Repainted Chinasaur Parasaurolophus (was my first repaint, so it looks terrible)
Unknown "Anatosaurus" yellow/blue x2
Unknown Blue "Anatosaurus"
TLW Parasaurolophus (retired)
UKRD Edmontosaurus (retired)
Unknown Green-headed Parasaurolophus

Figures:
Safari Ltd. Hypacrosaurus (retired)
Safari Sue "Anatotitan"
CollectA Tenontosaurus
Battat Terra Parasaurolophus
Safari Ltd. Dinos Toob Iguanodon
Safari Ltd. Gryposaurus

Figures:
CollectA Camptosaurus x2
CollectA Olorotitan
CollectA Mini Parasaurolophus
I am the Dinosaur King!

BlueKrono

More random ornithopods (I'm dumping them in this group, even thought they're not "Orhithopods"):

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

BlueKrono

AAA Parasaurolophus

Parasaurolophus skeletons

Halichoeres

2018 was pretty good for ornithopods!

CollectA Iguanodon

CollectA Mantellisaurus

Favorite mini Fukuisaurus

Favorite Koshisaurus
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Certain Halichoeres this quartet of ornithopods was great on the part of Collecta and Favorite. Thanks for sending these great photos.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Great photos and I'm glad Ornithopods are getting some love.

Four figures a great year for Ornithopoda though (Admittedly fantastic figures though they are). Four figures is a slow Tuesday for Allosauroids.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: