News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How to start painting dinosaur models?

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, September 22, 2013, 08:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I have decided to attempt to repaint some of my dinosaur models and make bases/dioramas for them. I've never attempted this before, so I'd love tips on:
1. What equipment (airbrush, etc.) to get for repainting dinos
2. Tips on how to do so
3. How to make bases, materials to use?
Thanks.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,395.0.html

Aside from the obvious Google, also try http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_drybrushing.html for techniques for painting by hand.

I don't use an airbrush (prefer to paint by hand) so I can't help there :-\

My general tips would be:
1. Get a large set of acrylic paints with lots of different colours
2. Buy some cheap chinasaurs and practice on those
3. Look at artwork on the internet and photos of real life animals to get inspiration
4. Don't get discouraged even when stuff doesn't turn out the way you want it to 8)

There is a book I can recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinosaurs-Build-paint-models-Rimell/dp/0890242704/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1379836421&sr=8-14&keywords=building+model+dinosaurs

It has lots of tips for customising, painting and building dinos. Unfortunately it is out of print and expensive, but imo it's worth it. I like to look at magazines and videos for painting and building miniatures (i.e. Warhammer 40k) because most of the techniques can be applied to dinosaur models. There's already a lot of information out there already. It's not aimed at dinosaur lovers, but it doesn't mean you can't use the same techniques ;) Just google for stuff.

...Oh, and you can get terrain from wargaming companies too, such as flock (grass) and sand. You just need to glue them to a base for a very simple diorama. You could sculpt bigger terrain such as trees and rocks from epoxy putty, air dry clay or whatever you're comfortable with.

Here is the kind of terrain materials I am talking about

captain jack

Try and try again.I teach every weekend. Airbrushing, drybrushing and base tone.Customizing, and general Mayhem. The more impossible the better.People need to see their vision and just go for it.Looking at everyones work.Study the art.Printed materials, movies and kits.Cheap acrylic s, some good ones if your investing.Washes for tones, airbrushing shadows. Drybrushing highlights.Nothing you can do is wrong.Except not doing.That's the Secret. You can't mess it up if you don't try.Great to hear.Looking forward to seeing your work!

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Thanks so much, tyrantqueen and captain jack-very, very helpful. I'll post my first (and probably failed) attempts hopefully soon. Thanks again.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.